i7 Surface Book

What do you guys think of this laptop?

Innovative? Good Value? I'm all ears, I'm still in the Laptop market and this one really caught my eye, everything about the laptop looks really good except for the GPU. I'm not holding that against it since the form factor is so small and the 965m is about 150% better than the dGPU in my Late 2013 MBPr  (http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-750M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-965M/m7928vsm24481).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-book

I probably wouldn't be using it to it's full potential, but mainly music production and light gaming. I'd probably buy the most expensive one too for the 1 TB SSD. 

I really like the touch screen, tablet functionality, and battery life it offers. 

7 minutes ago, LoveGamers said:

I probably wouldn't be using it to it's full potential, but mainly music production and light gaming. I'd probably buy the most expensive one too for the 1 TB SSD. 

I really like the touch screen, tablet functionality, and battery life it offers. 

I have always liked the surface brand myself :/

Using one for college right now, cs:go running on the igpu in the old surface pro 2 works alright. Not great but, I'm at a college ya know

Shipping sucks

This 2in1 isn't for you. It's expensive, and you can get better hardware for the money, in a machine more suited towards your needs.

The Surface Book (as well as the Surface Pro 3, Pro 4, and Studio), all are more geared towards artists, graphic designers, architects, and other people with hobbies/careers of similar nature. What makes them a good value to those people is the fact that they have excellent pen tracking, great sensitivity, and cost less than an equivalent machine paired with a Wacom Cintiq of similar size (although Cintiq products have lower resolutions).

You really shouldn't look at the Surface Pro, Book, or Studio as consumer devices. They really are tools of a somewhat niche audience, and unless you are part of that audience, you're paying for a novelty.

This would be a better option : http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7559-laptop

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

This 2in1 isn't for you. It's expensive, and you can get better hardware for the money, in a machine more suited towards your needs.

The Surface Book (as well as the Surface Pro 3, Pro 4, and Studio), all are more geared towards artists, graphic designers, architects, and other people with hobbies/careers of similar nature. What makes them a good value to those people is the fact that they have excellent pen tracking, great sensitivity, and cost less than an equivalent machine paired with a Wacom Cintiq of similar size (although Cintiq products have lower resolutions).

You really shouldn't look at the Surface Pro, Book, or Studio as consumer devices. They really are tools of a somewhat niche audience, and unless you are part of that audience, you're paying for a novelty.

This would be a better option : http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7559-laptop

I'd probably lean more toward the XPS 15 than that dell laptop. I'm also considering a Clevo laptop but I'm concerned about the battery life with the Clevo. But to be honest, I'm still really infatuated with the Surface Book though lol, just kind of feels like a limitless device (except for graphics). 

I really don't have a problem spending a lot of money if I feel like it's a good investment and it'll see some longevity. 

A point of concern though is that there are no USB-C ports on the Surface. I don't currently use any USB-C but you kind of have to wonder about the future of tech. 

9 minutes ago, LoveGamers said:

I'd probably lean more toward the XPS 15 than that dell laptop. I'm also considering a Clevo laptop but I'm concerned about the battery life with the Clevo. But to be honest, I'm still really infatuated with the Surface Book though lol, just kind of feels like a limitless device (except for graphics). 

I really don't have a problem spending a lot of money if I feel like it's a good investment and it'll see some longevity. 

A point of concern though is that there are no USB-C ports on the Surface. I don't currently use any USB-C but you kind of have to wonder about the future of tech. 

The Surface will last a long time, but again, you're spending quite a bit extra, and unless you're a digital artist/other things I said already/ etc. it is just for the novelty of the device.

I also don't really care about USB-C. It really isn't that advantageous, especially once you start to really consider some of the ramifications of some of the ideologies behind it. I don't see it causing the death, or even decline, of Type-A connectors, or DisplayPort when regarding ThunderBolt.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Here's a video of the Surface Book used in a music production scenario, this is exactly what I envisioned!

7 hours ago, LoveGamers said:

Here's a video of the Surface Book used in a music production scenario, this is exactly what I envisioned!

The real highlight of this video is the person actually needs to use the tablet function. If you do. Then this is a great laptop. If not, just get a XPS15. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p