October 28, 2016 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech
On 10/29/2016 at 8:12 AM, Pranavesh said:

Do you really think surface studio is a good product!!! come on....any graphic designer would that thing does not worth 3000 bucks...

I completely agree, but you forget another important downside.

It's also not upgradeable, since it uses a custom motherboard and a mobile GPU, just like an iMac.

I would've liked it, if the Surface Studio was a peripheral instead of a self contained PC.

Then it would've been a lot cheaper, and you could've used it with a regular desktop PC, which is upgradeable.

2 hours ago, alextulu said:

I completely agree, but you forget another important downside.

It's also not upgradeable, since it uses a custom motherboard and a mobile GPU, just like an iMac.

I would've liked it, if the Surface Studio was a peripheral instead of a self contained PC.

Then it would've been a lot cheaper, and you could've used it with a regular desktop PC, which is upgradeable.

I wonder if they'll be a market for super-rich people paying to get the hardware modded into a tower PC.

Linus,

I don't know if Vessel provided other significant functionality because I literally never tried it, but the only feature you seemed to care about was early access to certain videos, and it seems to me that feature could be implemented in a few minutes, on any server with sufficient bandwidth.  All you need that server to have is

1. login credentials for supporters who have earned early access, according to whatever criteria you set

2. automatically upload each video to YouTube after whatever period of time you want, say with a script in cron or anacron.

What am I missing?

21 minutes ago, Rodney McKay said:

Linus,

I don't know if Vessel provided other significant functionality because I literally never tried it, but the only feature you seemed to care about was early access to certain videos, and it seems to me that feature could be implemented in a few minutes, on any server with sufficient bandwidth.  All you need that server to have is

1. login credentials for supporters who have earned early access, according to whatever criteria you set

2. automatically upload each video to YouTube after whatever period of time you want, say with a script in cron or anacron.

What am I missing?

A reliable and trustworthy middle-man to handle collection of money and handle accounts.

21 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

A reliable and trustworthy middle-man to handle collection of money and handle accounts.

I'm assuming they will handle accounts on that server, something like this.

1.  Server receives notification of a donation from my email address (PayPal or whatever Linus prefers).

2.  Server sends a message to that email address asking me to create a username, or just automatically creates a random temporary username and password allowing me to create the username and password I choose, and in either case notifies me at the email address that was used to send the donation / membership fee / whatever they want to call it.

3.  I would now be able to login via https to see some of the Linus Media Group's videos slightly sooner than non-donors.

41 minutes ago, Rodney McKay said:

I'm assuming they will handle accounts on that server, something like this.

1.  Server receives notification of a donation from my email address (PayPal or whatever Linus prefers).

2.  Server sends a message to that email address asking me to create a username, or just automatically creates a random temporary username and password allowing me to create the username and password I choose, and in either case notifies me at the email address that was used to send the donation / membership fee / whatever they want to call it.

3.  I would now be able to login via https to see some of the Linus Media Group's videos slightly sooner than non-donors.

Server receives information of payment, from? As much as I'm sure Linus would love to only be able to get donations from people willing to deal with Paypall, or risk losing his funds at their whim, I think he'd rather deal with a third-party subscription service like Vessel or Patreon. Especially since Vessel had the early access thing as an integral part of their service.

2 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Server receives information of payment, from? As much as I'm sure Linus would love to only be able to get donations from people willing to deal with Paypall, or risk losing his funds at their whim, I think he'd rather deal with a third-party subscription service like Vessel or Patreon. Especially since Vessel had the early access thing as an integral part of their service.

Sure, Patreon is still an option.  I don't see why he needs Vessel, or another third party service provider to do what Vessel did, as long as he has Patreon, PayPal, or the like to be the trusted third party for receiving the money.

22 minutes ago, Rodney McKay said:

Sure, Patreon is still an option.  I don't see why he needs Vessel, or another third party service provider to do what Vessel did, as long as he has Patreon, PayPal, or the like to be the trusted third party for receiving the money.

Patreon is a third party.

Have you guys at LMG considered AWS Cloudfront media streaming?   I'm sure you're already looking into options, but it has long been possible to essentially make your own 'youtube'.

I'm familiar with AWS more so through multiplayer gaming architecture, A small bit from passive industry experience (previous work in triple A and just talking to the netcode guys), but more so through experimentation on my own.

Obviously pricing is always going to be a concern, having to balance cost with benefit, but in the case of games.  You get a certain limit of EC2 instances (cloud servers) which in turn can each serve content to a certain amount of users;  dependent on content type, user volume, etc.

You can also control scaling on both the lower end and the upper limit.  For example the free tier allows for a maximum of 1000 EC2 instances at one time. And you can lock it there so you don't exceed your budget, Or you can allow it to go above and pay for the extra usage. There are of course other tiers that allow for more instances depending on your needs.

Going back to the lower end you can also set a minimum amount of EC2 instances to be always on so that users can connect to or be served the content immediately.

Depending on how things are set up in the case of games, one EC2 instance could support multiple games, or just once depending on requirements.

There will be some differences in regards to media because you'll also need to have the video within AWS Cloud storage, but it's a potential option.

Anyway. If you guys end up setting up your own video section and you do the early access thing yourselves, I will buy into that.  Best of luck to you. Keep breaking your back for us.   *cracks whip*

You know what Linus should do in his review of the macbook "pro", he should call it the 13 inch macbook throughout his review.