Do overclocks make a difference when folding?

I have only ever folded with an overclocked CPU (don't worry I did a 48 hour test on prime95) and a GPU on stock clocks. However, there isn't any notable difference in PPD when I OC my GPU. I have a 7850,

Core: 860MHz-->1050MHz

Memory: 1200MHz-->1450MHz

Should this overclock make a difference because it does in games?

"An Excellent Signature"

Speeding up a GPU will help. It is like a CPU, overclocking makes it run more data. So yes it should... in theory...

Come fold while not gaming! http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/37-foldinghome-boinc-and-coin-mining/

Gaming Rig: i7-9700k 5GHz all core, GTX 1070, 16GB TridentZ, Buncha ssds...

Stream Machine: R7 1700, GTX 660 (lol), 16GB Corsair Somethingoranother, 120 GB SSD i've had since 2012. 

Mobile Workstation: MSI-ALPHA :R7 3750H, RX 5500M, 16GB of some ram, 500GB SSD.

Do NOT OC a GPU when folding. First, it will add almost nothing to your score... maybe a few hundred more PPD? But, more often then not your WU will fail because of just the slightest instability. I had dual 6870's running stock - for months they are fine - I cranked them up by 200 Mhz core... about 50% of my WU's fail and only slight PPD improvement. And when a WU fails, you lose all the credit for it...

Folding if more reliant on the raw processing power - where an overclock can get you more FPS it doesn't always mean the best for Folding. CPU overclocks though do seem to be pretty stable. Just the GPU ones seem very picky. If you are lucky though - you may have a real gem of a card that does stay stable. Only way to know is to test. But if you see WU's fail, you will know why. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99