LTE vs DSL? What is the best option for me?

IAEInferno
  • 10Mbps maximum speed
  • 50GB (LTE) / 100GB (DSL) monthly data allowance
  • 15Mbps Maximum Speed
  • 100GB (LTE) / 150GB (DSL) monthly data allowance

They cost the same in my Country.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

LTE as in wireless internet?

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

Just now, Ernest_L said:

Yeah what is better for gaming?

Just now, Ernest_L said:

Yes. DSL is a wired internet line by telephone lines while lte is a form of wireless internet. Really depends if you want wired or wireless 

1 minute ago, IAEInferno said:

Yeah what is better for gaming?

I would go for DSL, wireless can be a little unreliable

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

1 minute ago, Gruenbaum said:

Yes. DSL is a wired internet line by telephone lines while lte is a form of wireless internet. Really depends if you want wired or wireless 

Yeah I know but i've only seen LTE being used in mobile phones lol

8 minutes ago, Ernest_L said:

Yeah I know but i've only seen LTE being used in mobile phones lol

It's a form of satellite internet. Cellphones use it the most.

DSL reliability depends on the lines. If the phone company takes care of them. Then DSL isnt too bad from what I heard. Here in the US the phone companies have let the phone lines rot on the poles. So DSL can be very very so so in many area. 

LTE is going to be determined on the tower your device is connected to. For example I get about 20 Mbps down on my phone in my home on T Mobile. I live in Romulus btw. In Canton a city not far from me, I can pull down 90 Mbps. Over by Detroit Metro Airport you are luck to have 2G service. It all depends where you live and how congested the tower is. 

Id look in to the DSL service myself. I think it will be a safer bet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Gruenbaum said:

It's a form of satellite internet. Cellphones use it the most.

LTE is not a satellite technology, LTE is a cellular wireless technology that uses towers which create Cells.

LTE being wireless is a line of site technology and does have typically higher latency over things like DSL and fiber. I would use DSL over LTE any day especially for gaming.

I'm not too big on speed, I just want better ping for games, will choosing DSL over LTE help with ping?

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

DSL reliability depends on the lines. If the phone company takes care of them. Then DSL isnt too bad from what I heard. Here in the US the phone companies have let the phone lines rot on the poles. So DSL can be very very so so in many area. 

LTE is going to be determined on the tower your device is connected to. For example I get about 20 Mbps down on my phone in my home on T Mobile. I live in Romulus btw. In Canton a city not far from me, I can pull down 90 Mbps. Over by Detroit Metro Airport you are luck to have 2G service. It all depends where you live and how congested the tower is. 

Id look in to the DSL service myself. I think it will be a safer bet. 

2 hours ago, IAEInferno said:

I'm not too big on speed, I just want better ping for games, will choosing DSL over LTE help with ping?

It all depends how greedy your phone company is. Verizon for example has left its DSL subs flapping in the wind. Refusing to do any repairs and maintenance. If the infrastructure is shit, your not going to have a good experience. You need to find out who your provider is and look for reviews. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

It all depends how greedy your phone company is. Verizon for example has left its DSL subs flapping in the wind. Refusing to do any repairs and maintenance. If the infrastructure is shit, your not going to have a good experience. You need to find out who your provider is and look for reviews. 

okay thank you!