RX 480 Overclocking thread

Clanscorpia
Go to solution Solved by Clanscorpia,

After OCing my 480 and hearing its pretty good, I wanted to make a 480 overclocking thread! Share your results here and your firestrike graphical score! My current most stable clock is 1420/2000 at stock 50% power limit. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Decent, I may OC my RX470 but I killed my 2 290Xs overclocking too far with reference PCBs so I'm laying off OCing my GPUs for now :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Hey, you also got lucky with your card. Mine can do 1440Mhz on the core and 2220Mhz on the memory with stock voltage, but I keep it to 1420/2200 just to avoid issues. I suggest you try undervolting, with my chip I can keep the stock 1342MHz at 1.050mV and still get the memory up to 2100Mhz, it barely gets over 70C that way.

Jay just max out the power limit and voltage(+96mv) and see how far the card can go. I tried the same method just for fun and get 1465MHz core clock, 2150MHz memory. However the card runs way too hot this way.

I'm thinking to water cool this baby. BTW, mine is Sapphire Nitro OC+ 8GB.

Sounds like the 480 is a decent overclocker. May factor into my decision when I upgrade.

By the way, how much power are you guys pulling with thise OCs.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

6 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Sounds like the 480 is a decent overclocker. May factor into my decision when I upgrade.

By the way, how much power are you guys pulling with thise OCs.

Many reviewers' RX480 can't hit 1400MHz. It really is a matter of luck.

According to MSI Afterburner. At 1342MHz, the card is drawing ~145w. At 1465MHz, ~200w.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

According to MSI Afterburner. At 1342MHz, the card is drawing ~145w. At 1465MHz, ~200w.

How can you read power draw in TriXX?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

How can you read power draw in TriXX?

On the lower left side there is four dots. One is power monitor. Click it, one of the graphs show power draw.

However, the power draw graph of Trixx will show big fluctuation. The graph from MSI Afterburner is more "flat". Although the average power draw from both graphs will be the same.

12 minutes ago, Deli said:

On the lower left side there is four dots. One is power monitor. Click it, one of the graphs show power draw.

However, the power draw graph of Trixx will show big fluctuation. The graph from MSI Afterburner is more "flat". Although the average power draw from both graphs will be the same.

Thanks! Got It stable at 1420 and 2000 with stock voltage. Im going to try that and 2100. 1400 and 2150 isnt stable for me

Spoiler

AXIOM

4 hours ago, elago said:

Hey, you also got lucky with your card. Mine can do 1440Mhz on the core and 2220Mhz on the memory with stock voltage, but I keep it to 1420/2200 just to avoid issues. I suggest you try undervolting, with my chip I can keep the stock 1342MHz at 1.050mV and still get the memory up to 2100Mhz, it barely gets over 70C that way.

What the fuck?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

How is your GTR?

I haven't had enough time to fully OC that card, but I need + 30mv to get to 1400. I don't know if cooling is my issue since my case of so small, but I max out at 73c with this OC, so I'm not sure. Maybe the fan over the PSU isn't getting enough cool air.

IMG_20161018_130901.jpg

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

I haven't had enough time to fully OC that card, but I need + 30mv to get to 1400. I don't know if cooling is my issue since my case of so small, but I max out at 73c with this OC, so I'm not sure. Maybe the fan over the PSU isn't getting enough cool air.

IMG_20161018_130901.jpg

RIP. that psu is blocking one of your gpu intake. Feel sad for you man.

Just now, ivan134 said:

IMG_20161018_130901.jpg

Maybe the Nitros have better binning? And I find the cooler is a beast. I was running 100% for the fan didnt go over 50 while benchmarking my current highest stable 1420/2000

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, ivan134 said:

1400MHz is a good clock.  73 degrees is okay, but... form factor.

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Maybe the Nitros have better binning? And I find the cooler is a beast. I was running 100% for the fan didnt go over 50 while benchmarking my current highest stable 1420/2000

They are binned normally + 100% fan speed. That jet engine lol.

1 minute ago, YongKang said:

They are binned normally + 100% fan speed. That jet engine lol.

Oh yeah its loud lol

5 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

4 hours ago, elago said:

4 hours ago, Deli said:

I decided to make this a 480 Overclocking thread so if you guys want to talk about tips to get the clocks and what cards to get we can all do it here :) 

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Mine will do 90C with max overclock.....

Just now, Deli said:

Mine will do 90C with max overclock.....

Haha. What fan speed?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Oh yeah its loud lol

I decided to make this a 480 Overclocking thread so if you guys want to talk about tips to get the clocks and what cards to get we can all do it here :) 

Well, me and ivan did a RX480 aftermarket guide over at my thread. but I'll be happily post it here.

RX480 aftermarket tier list:
S tier: XFX GTR, Strix and MSI Gaming X
A+ tier: HIS and Nitro.
A tier: Powercolor Red Devil.
No B tier.
C tier: XFX RS.
Do not buy tier: Gigabyte G1 480 is garbage.

Just now, YongKang said:

Well, me and ivan did a RX480 aftermarket guide over at my thread. but I'll be happily post it here.

RX480 aftermarket tier list:
S tier: XFX GTR, Strix and MSI 480
A+ tier: HIS and Nitro.
A tier: Powercolor Red Devil.
No B tier.
C tier: XFX RS.
Do not buy tier: Gigabyte G1 480 is garbage.

Why isnt the nitro a+ ? 

Spoiler

AXIOM

Haha. What fan speed?

100% of course. Even with the side panel removed and a 140mm fan points directly to the card. It still runs at 84C.

Looking for watercooling parts now. Probably will do it this weekend.

Why isnt the nitro a+ ? 

It is A+. If you're asking why it's in A+, the Nitro have a good PCB + VRM + components. But, it is held back by its cooler.

Why isnt the nitro a+ ? 

The cooler is sub-standard.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

100% of course. Even with the side panel removed and a 140mm fan points directly to the card. It still runs at 84C.

Looking for watercooling parts now. Probably will do it this weekend.

Ah it was 65 not 50 lol was getting confused by the colours. It ran at 75 one time and I was like freaking out, after than I ran at 100% because the stupid thing wouldnt make the fans go faster

Spoiler

AXIOM