Linus using Windows 7 or 8?

nkucz

Hey guys I'm building a new rig and I have always loved windows 7 but I'm afraid if I don't buy windows 8 I will be stuck in the past so to say. So my question is what version of windows does Linus run on his desktop? Also, what version is he running on his laptop? Also if anyone knows, do know what ultrabook and tablet Linus mainly uses? I know he currently uses the HTC One as his main phone.

PS: I'M NOT BASING MY DECISION BASED ON HIS CHOICES,  I'M JUST WONDERING

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

He uses 7.

Windows 7 and 8 are pretty much the same. One just has a fancy start menu that's awesome.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Hey guys I'm building a new rig and I have always loved windows 7 but I'm afraid if I don't buy windows 8 I will be stuck in the past so to say. So my question is what version of windows does Linus run on his desktop? also what version is he running on his laptop?

You are basing your decision on Linus' choice? Oh god...

But I remember him ranting about everyone hating windows 8 on a live show (yes a old one) because he actually thought it was good.

My 2 cents: love windows 8 after buying startisback (or any start menu replacement), its very snappy and boots very quickly, apart from that its almost windows 7

THE signature

Fan boy alert.........

Windows 8 is something you need to develop a taste for.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

You are basing your decision on Linus' choice? Oh god...

But I remember him ranting about everyone hating windows 8 on a live show (yes a old one) because he actually thought it was good.

My 2 cents: love windows 8 after buying startisback (or any start menu replacement), its very snappy and boots very quickly, apart from that its almost windows 7

Not basing my decision just wondering...when did I say I was going to make a decision based on his choice?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Not basing my decision just wondering...when did I say I was going to make a decision based on his choice?

Got me, you did not.  :)

THE signature

Got me, you did not.  :)

Has the 8.1 upgrade been released to 8 users?

Has the 8.1 upgrade been released to 8 users?

I'm using it right now, haven't noticed a difference since I replaced the "start button" immediatly by startisback and I don't use metro at all.

So yes, it has.

THE signature

I'm using it right now, haven't noticed a difference since I replaced the "start button" immediatly by startisback and I don't use metro at all.

So yes, it has.

So basically the only change in windows 8.1 is the start menu? So basically you can just ignore the whole metro or whatever you want to call it part of the operating system?

He uses 7.

Windows 7 and 8 are pretty much the same. One just has a fancy start menu that's awesome.

I think you misspelled ugly.

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

You don't have to use the Metro unless you look for an application.

Click is a whole lot slower than shortcuts. Hit windows key than type the application you're looking for, hit enter. Like for calculator: Win key + calc + enter = calculator comes up. Granted this is an old shortcut, but Windows 8 has a lot more than Windows 8 iirc.

I hate how there's the start button now because it's really ugly and I preferred the start screen preview box in the corner.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

So basically the only change in windows 8.1 is the start menu? So basically you can just ignore the whole metro or whatever you want to call it part of the operating system?

I don't think its the only change, but the way I use metro I just don't notice them. And yes, you'll have to do some things to make it work but I almost never visit metro (i call it metro :P).

Also you might really like metro, there are people like that out there. Somewhere.

THE signature

I don't think its the only change, but the way I use metro I just don't notice them. And yes, you'll have to do some things to make it work but I almost never visit metro (i call it metro :P).

Also you might really like metro, there are people like that out there. Somewhere.

do some things to make the start button work?

I think you misspelled ugly.

The edgy is cutting me deep.

do some things to make the start button work?

Ow I meant you have to change some things to be able to fully ignore metro, things like installing a start button and set another musicplayer/photoviewer as default, since all of those are apps and will throw you into metro.

THE signature

why not go linux based as there nearly all free, faster and generally better alround

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

why not go linux based as there nearly all free, faster and generally better alround

'cause Linux is not great for productivity and barelly passes media consumption. It's a server OS, where it's root are based on that, and it tries to be a desktop/laptop OS. Something that can happen, but the Linux based OS community wants to keep its roots.

Relevant:

I would actually CONSIDER using it now.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

'cause Linux is not great for productivity and barelly passes media consumption. It's a server OS, where it's root are based on that, and it tries to be a desktop/laptop OS. Something that can happen, but the Linux based OS community wants to keep its roots.

I find it perfect for my uses {mainly matlab iraf python c++ TeX} and sure VideoLAN is supported on nearly all distros

I just think people should give it a shot it aint going to cost anybody a penny to try it and the likes of mint and ubuntu are pretty friendly for newcomers  

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

I would say go with Windows 8.1 it's much faster then Windows 7 and it does everything Windows 7 does and more.
Also with games like Battlefield 4 getting DX11.1 support and the XboxOne using DX11.2 there will be alot of games using DX11.1/DX11.2 wich will make your games much faster.

I also don't think that the ModernUI is that bad, but if you don't like it you can just change it to boot up directly to your desktop.

RTX2070OC 

I use Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my touchscreen notebook.

I'm pretty happy with this arrangement.

Pretty sweet of you to answer linus! Thanks for the info, any chance of switching to windows 8 on desktop now that 8.1 is out?

I would say go with Windows 8.1 it's much faster then Windows 7 and it does everything Windows 7 does and more.

Also with games like Battlefield 4 getting DX11.1 support and the XboxOne using DX11.2 there will be alot of games using DX11.1/DX11.2 wich will make your games much faster.

I also don't think that the ModernUI is that bad, but if you don't like it you can just change it to boot up directly to your desktop.

wait I can change it to boot to the desktop not that stupid other screen that is meant for touchscreens or tablets and should have never been put on a desktop computer?

wait I can change it to boot to the desktop not that stupid other screen that is meant for touchscreens or tablets and should have never been put on a desktop computer?

Yes, you can.

But you should learn the Start Screen. If you get Win8, you NEED to come in with an open mind, and want to learn something new. Else, get Win7 and stay behind, because I HIGHLY doubt, Microsoft will reverse anything, unless some magic happens were people buy desktop computers again, and not tablet and laptops. That's the only thing that will make Microsoft back track.