£150 to spend on Headphones

bart69132

Looking to upgrade from my current headphones.

Budget: £150

Use: Music, electronic (trap/house/electro/dubstep), most other genre's but those are the main ones

Open Back/Closed: Not sure, I like a good soundstage like the music is playing from speakers in a room but I'm open to trying closed.

Over ear only

I don't have an amp or dac but I don't think I should need one

On another forum someone suggested going with second hand as there is some good deals like Sennheiser HD 650 for £120 in good condition but I would prefer not to

If there is anything else you need to know just ask

Id recommend HD 598

Intel i5-6600K, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Asus MAXIMUS VIII Gene, 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, GTX 1080 EVGA FTW, Thermaltake Core v21, Seasonic M12II 850W

I am gussing that you want a bass boost and people seem to enjoy the DT990 for EDM music.

Also don't get the HD 598, the HD558 are 95% the same and with a insanely simple mod you can make that 99.9999%.

I would like to know what kind of sound signature you like, then I would be able to give a "real" recommendation.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I am gussing that you want a bass boost

I don't know... I don't know a ton about headphones.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I would like to know what kind of sound signature you like, then I would be able to give a "real" recommendation.

I'm not sure, I use Takstart HI2050's with brainwavz angled pads right now. They are the only "nice" headphones I've owned, I used my Friends DT770 250ohm and they were quite bad for the music I like. 

1 minute ago, bart69132 said:

I don't know... I don't know a ton about headphones.

I'm not sure, I use Takstart HI2050's with brainwavz angled pads right now. They are the only "nice" headphones I've owned, I used my Friends DT770 250ohm and they were quite bad for the music I like. 

The DT880 would basically be the direct upgrade from those, same kind of sound signature. So if you really love your HI2050 then the DT880 would fit you well.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

So if you really love your HI2050 then the DT880 would fit you well.

I do like them, I just feel like that they lack "clarity?", just aren't very clear (tried different cables, still the same) so are DT880 perfect? Also, which version since there is Pro/Premium, 250ohm ect...

Just now, bart69132 said:

I do like them, I just feel like that they lack "clarity?", just aren't very clear (tried different cables, still the same) so are DT880 perfect? Also, which version since there is Pro/Premium, 250ohm ect...

yeah the DT880 are more clear.

Pro and premium is only looks and clamping force, for ohm version just get the 32ohm

In my experience, the elevated treble of the DT880 gets in the way of true clarity. It could also be that they just lack resolution period, or need special amplification to shine. Either way, I for example found the less bright HE-560 to both feel "clearer" and to have more actual detail.

I would ask yourself WHY you are upgrading from your current headphone. At your current budget, there is no guarantee at all that you will notice an improvement in any of the areas of sound you have indicated as being important. The HI2050 is a solid budget headphone.

45 minutes ago, SSL said:

In my experience, the elevated treble of the DT880 gets in the way of true clarity. It could also be that they just lack resolution period, or need special amplification to shine. Either way, I for example found the less bright HE-560 to both feel "clearer" and to have more actual detail.

I would ask yourself WHY you are upgrading from your current headphone. At your current budget, there is no guarantee at all that you will notice an improvement in any of the areas of sound you have indicated as being important. The HI2050 is a solid budget headphone.

Its more or a "want" than a need, I am just looking for headphones but will be buying about February, just so that I know my options. Also, are you sure it is the HE-560? they are £900... unless you are just saying as a reference.

3 minutes ago, bart69132 said:

Its more or a "want" than a need, I am just looking for headphones but will be buying about February, just so that I know my options. Also, are you sure it is the HE-560? they are £900... unless you are just saying as a reference.

he said that the HE-560 felt more clear and more actual detail. more treble does not equal more clarity.

I don't think that he is recommending them, because they are way above your budget.

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

he said that the HE-560 felt more clear and more actual detail. more treble does not equal more clarity.

I don't think that he is recommending them, because they are way above your budget.

Well, obviously he is also recommending them because they are awesome but still :P

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 hours ago, SSL said:

What would be a good upgrade that I would notice? (ignoring the £150 budget, but without being extremely expensive)