First Build US $1100-1250 Help?

VGDtryhard

I apologize in advance for my inorance.

Please help me fine-tune this build to be the best bang-for-buck =). 

I FOUND MORE MONEY !!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOT

1. Budget- $1100-$1250 US AFTER BLACK FRIDAY/CYBER MONDAY SAVINGS

Location- Indiana(I doubt state matters). United states  

2. Aim:

I am entering in to a video game design program and I need a PC that can handle anything I may encounter in said program. I would need some heavy duty gaming (ultra - 60 frames per second on 2016 AAA games like DOOM, and hopefully future proofed for ultra- 60fps for 2017), and live-stream capabilities. I also run moderately intensive Matlab simulations and I work with Solidworks/Fusion360 a bit.

3.Monitors:

I currently use a 720p tv.  In the future, I would like 2 1080p monitors.

4. Peripherals:

I have a $7 gaming mouse that is still mildly functional, but a new one would be nice.  I will need a keyboard. I will hopefully be getting my monitors for free. I likely also need to buy Windows 10  =(.

5. Reason;

I currently have a lenovo y50 laptop that is semi-adequate for my gaming, but quickly showing age. It is also pretty insufficient for my streaming needs (cpu gets maxed out in a hurry). Running Matlab and Solidworks on my laptop gets laggy rather quickly.

Current theoretical build

Case: Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.50 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($52.00 @ Newegg) 

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($100.04 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.98 @ Directron) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($404.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1244.46

Edited by VGDtryhard
Updated build price and some component choices.

1 minute ago, VGDtryhard said:

1. Budget- $950 US   Location- Indiana. United states  (I doubt state matters)

2. Aim:

I am entering in to a video game design program and I need a PC that can handle anything I may encounter in said program. I would need some heavy duty gaming, and live-stream capabilities. I also run moderately intensive Matlab simulations and I work with Solidworks/Fusion360 a bit.

3.Monitors:

I currently use a 720p tv.  In the future, I would like 2 1080p monitors.

4. Peripherals:

I have a $7 gaming mouse that is still mildly functional, but a new one would be nice.  I will need a keyboard. I will hopefully be getting my monitors for free. I likely also need to buy Windows 10  =(.

5. Reason;

I currently have a lenovo y50 that is semi-adequate for my gaming, but quickly showing age. It is also pretty insufficient for my streaming needs (cpu gets maxed out in a hurry). Running Matlab and Solidworks on my laptop gets laggy rather quickly.

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD Video Cards       $399.99

SanDisk SD8SN8U-512G-1122 X400 M.2 2280 512GB Internal SSD

Interesting build! I particularly like the TV as a monitor thing, that sounds like a great way to watch YouTube! :)

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, VGDtryhard said:

1. Budget- $950 US   Location United states

2. Aim:

I am entering in to a video game design program and I need a PC that can handle anything I may encounter in said program. I would need some heavy duty gaming, and live-stream capabilities. I also run moderately intensive Matlab simulations and I work with Solidworks/Fusion360 a bit..

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070WF2OC-8GD Video Cards       $399.99

SanDisk SD8SN8U-512G-1122 X400 M.2 2280 512GB Internal SSD

So you need a good processor (i7 6700k or a broadwell), and you'll be fine with an RX 480. The 1070 isn't going to benefit you really and the 1060/70 are dx11 cards anyway with minor dx12 capabilities.

Sorry, I am still editing . I will be finished in a bit.

4 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

So you need a good processor (i7 6700k or a broadwell), and you'll be fine with an RX 480. The 1070 isn't going to benefit you really and the 1060/70 are dx11 cards anyway with minor dx12 capabilities.

Thanks for the input! I have finished editing it for now, so all of the information is there.

11 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

How important is the i7 over the i5 I currently have selected? I am not trying to be combative, I just honestly do not know.

22 minutes ago, VGDtryhard said:

How important is the i7 over the i5 I currently have selected? I am not trying to be combative, I just honestly do not know.

Well for your work with Multitasking and shit

a i7 will do allot better

Just now, keNNySOC said:

Well for your work with Multitasking and shit

a i7 will do allot better

Alright, Good to know. Unfortunately, I will lose the bundle savings if I change the processor . Oh well.

Just now, VGDtryhard said:

Alright, Good to know.

Also for DOOM GET the RX 480, as the RX 480 with Vulkan will crush DOOM and your wasting money on a 1070

Here's a build if you could with a $50 change (if you can't you can just save on the SSD)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.98 @ Directron) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $993.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-24 06:03 EDT-0400

3 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Also for DOOM GET the RX 480, as the RX 480 with Vulkan will crush DOOM and your wasting money on a 1070

DOOM was just an example. I will also be playing Battlefield 1, Star Citizen , , , etc

1 minute ago, keNNySOC said:

Here's a build if you could with a $50 change (if you can't you can just save on the SSD)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card  ($249.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $993.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-24 06:03 EDT-0400

I have a case and power supply, so there is $100 dollars saved.     I am also willing to wait for black friday/cybermonday sales and by then I will have around $1100 saved.  Does that help any?

I have a case and power supply, so there is $100 dollars saved.     I am also willing to wait for black friday/cybermonday sales and by then I will have around $1100 saved.  Does that help any?

What PSU do you have? as it could be some Note 7 one...

2 minutes ago, VGDtryhard said:

what kind of case and power supply do you have?

3 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

What PSU do you have? as it could be some Note 7 one...

The brand is Thermaltake, but I cant see much else that looks important. I will pull it out and scrutinize it.

The brand is Thermaltake, but I cant see much else that looks important. I will pull it out and scrutinize it.

color theme?

3 minutes ago, VGDtryhard said:

What color is it and is there any writing on the side?

2 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

What color is it and is there any writing on the side?

I had to pull it out to see much, but it is better than I thought. It is an  700W  Thermaltake Toughpower "700AP". It is black. Is there a model# or something I should e on the lookout for?

17 minutes ago, VGDtryhard said:

I had to pull it out to see much, but it is better than I thought. It is an  700W  Thermaltake Toughpower "700AP". It is black. Is there a model# or something I should e on the lookout for?

Looks like you got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153035

If confirmed then it's not a very good quality PSU, especially when it's gonna be powering expensive components. If it's not more than 2 years old, I'd say you can still use it. But look towards replacing it soon after the build is done.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

Just now, antisleep said:

Looks like you got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153035

If confirmed then it's not a very good quality PSU, especially when it's gonna be powering expensive components. If it's not more than 2 years old, I'd say you can still use it. But look towards replacing it soon after the build is done.

Yup! That's it! Also, It saw about 6 months of use before it found its way to me.

Here's my own list:

PCPartPicker part list 

Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($404.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1067.91

You can buy Windows 10 Pro OEM on Kinguin.net for 1/4 the original retail price. Change the currency to USD at the top right.

How: https://youtu.be/yXTqz3Fd28M

Btw, what's your case?

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

2 hours ago, antisleep said:

Here's my own list:

PCPartPicker part list 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($404.98 @ Newegg) 

You can buy Windows 10 Pro OEM on Kinguin.net for 1/4 the original retail price. Change the currency to USD at the top right.

Btw, what's your case?

I know the brand is Antec, but I am unsure of where to look for the model

*EDIT* Found it ! 

Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2 x USB 3.0

2 hours ago, antisleep said:

Here's my own list:

PCPartPicker part list 

Btw, what's your case?

If I later saved up 2-300 hundred more dollars, how hard would it be to liquid cool this rig?  I currently have 2 "medium" fans on the front of my case and one on the back. I also have one "big" fan on the top. Sorry I am not familiar with the terminology.    Also, I have a cpu cooler that I found loose in the case, and I was wondering how I would identify it? It says AMD on the fan and has a big ribbed square heat dispersion block .   WOW I sound uninformed.

18 minutes ago, VGDtryhard said:

If I later saved up 2-300 hundred more dollars, how hard would it be to liquid cool this rig?  I currently have 2 "medium" fans on the front of my case and one on the back. I also have one "big" fan on the top. Sorry I am not familiar with the terminology.    Also, I have a cpu cooler that I found loose in the case, and I was wondering how I would identify it? It says AMD on the fan and has a big ribbed square heat dispersion block .   WOW I sound uninformed.

The front fans are intake and top + rear are exhausts.

The case you're describing should be the Antec Nine Hundred(grey interior) / Nine Hundred Two(black interior).

Liquid cool meaning adding 120/240mm radiator or do a custom loop?

You've no use for that AMD cpu cooler.

Just now, antisleep said:

The front fans are intake and top + rear are exhausts.

The case you're describing should be the Antec Nine Hundred(grey interior) / Nine Hundred Two(black interior).

Liquid cool meaning adding 120/240mm radiator or do a custom loop?

You've no use for that AMD cpu cooler.

I figured that cooler would be no use. I was hopeful though. I hoped maybe it was compatible/standard with any cpu.

Also, this is the case I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F81NH2708&cm_re=antec-_-11-129-180-_-Product