Replacing PSU for future build

zopa34

Hello. My psu for my 8yr old pc died and I need new psu. As I don't have money for whole pc yet I'm going to buy PSU now and everything else later.

I'm going to buy:

Amd r9 270x (or something similar)

Amd 8350(8core one)

So I need a psu under 100$. As i'm from Latvia I will use internetshops aviable here. I was thinking about corsair gs600 2013 edition for 100$ or cx600(modular one is aviable) for 85$(90$).

Is it a good idea and will it work with my old system alright for some time? What other psu can you recommend for under 100$?

Thanks.

Dont forget that you would need a new motherboard with that cpu

Actually you would need a whole new system

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

yeah, I know. I just wrote most important components to know what wattage I will need.

But will it work with my current system for some time? (hd4850, pentium r duo @ 2.83)

get a rm psu. they are silent and modular. if the hdds are ide, then get a molex adapter.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Get an FX8320 instead. Use the savings on some other part of your system; anything Seasonic-based will be a good choice, preferably modular.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Get an FX8320 instead. Use the savings on some other part of your system; anything Seasonic-based will be a good choice, preferably modular.

The 8350 is a higher bined chip, therefore it can be oc'ed to monstrous hights...and i think is overall better chip

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Damn, forgot that there are different mb connectors. It's 20 pins.

What's "rm" psu?

Damn, forgot that there are different mb connectors. It's 20 pins.

What's "rm" psu?

Corsair "Quiet" PSU.....doesn't start the fan until it gets to a certain wattage or temp

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Alright. Gs600 doesn't have 20+4 pin connector, but rm550 is little bit over budget.

cx600 meets both requirements. Is it a good choice?

Alright. Gs600 doesn't have 20+4 pin connector, but rm550 is little bit over budget.

Yes!....As a matter of fact im fairly sure that i have that PSU in my build!

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Go for CX600M and replace your build soon.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

The gs600 does have the connector.  Where are you shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.