Reboot and Select proper Boot device error even when parts are ok

Hi, can I have a little help?

I am getting "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error while installing new windows.

My cd rom is ok. hdd is ok. sata is ok. windows cd is ok.

I dunno if mobo is ok, but when I go to bios, it detects the hdd and the odd. This dictates that the sata is ok.

So what is the problem?

if you use bootable cd then you have to set first your cd or floppy drive from your BIOS

34 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

have you set your boot order correctly?

15 minutes ago, w1z4rd said:

if you use bootable cd then you have to set first your cd or floppy drive from your BIOS

Yes to both. the CD and odd that I used is the same to this pc that I am using now. So I now its working. I also tested it again here in my pc and they were readable. Also tried to set odd and hdd as first prio, same error I get. Changed sata cables to. Same.

Booting with an innocent USB stick attached can cause this issue. Fixing the settings is of course still recommended, but if this is the case, at least the immediate solution is quick and easy.

2 minutes ago, tatte said:

Booting with an innocent USB stick attached can cause this issue. Fixing the settings is of course still recommended, but if this is the case, at least the immediate solution is quick and easy.

no stick is attached. Only usb mouse and keyboard. on board vga. Well. the last thing I could test is to boot on usb. But I don't have a spare. I might need to buy one as it exceeds my 4gb usb sticks. So maybe there are some solutions before I spend on things I wont really use

Some motherboards try to force raid automatically on predetermined sata ports, changing them around might be worth it. This would allow them to be detected, but prevent them from working properly. It's a long shot, I know.

Could you let us know your hardware and which version of Windows you are trying to install? You refer to your disc drive as CD-drive, so let's just be sure that if you're trying to install Windows from a DVD, you have a drive that actually reads DVDs?

You could try booting on usb with a Debian's netinstall, it's quick to download and would fit in your existing USB drives. At least it would be a free way to troubleshoot further.

25 minutes ago, tatte said:

Some motherboards try to force raid automatically on predetermined sata ports, changing them around might be worth it. This would allow them to be detected, but prevent them from working properly. It's a long shot, I know.

Could you let us know your hardware and which version of Windows you are trying to install? You refer to your disc drive as CD-drive, so let's just be sure that if you're trying to install Windows from a DVD, you have a drive that actually reads DVDs?

You could try booting on usb with a Debian's netinstall, it's quick to download and would fit in your existing USB drives. At least it would be a free way to troubleshoot further.

Yup, I am installing Windows 7 and 8.1 using dvd. Neither does work.

What do you mean about Debian's netinstall? I have a 4gb stick, but my ISOs will not fit as they are both 3.8gb+

Debian netinstall ISO is 260 Mb, I'm suggesting it as a troubleshooting tool. It's a linux distro, but you'd just be using it to confirm that USB booting works and to see if it detects your hard drive as something it could install itself into. If both requirements check out, you could consider investing in a bigger USB stick, perhaps as your dedicated Windows install backup?

There's also live versions of linux, which provide a full bootable system without needing to install anything on to the host machine. You might want to look into one if the overall health of the motherboard is in question.

Meanwhile here's another random long shot. Old enough motherboard could require properly set jumpers from sata devices, which can be problematic as sata devices rarely include changeable jumper settings nowadays. Refer to the motherboard's manual if you suspect this might be the case.