Which GTX 1060?

GalacticRuler

So I've decided on buying a GTX 1060 but want to know which one to buy. I'm not going to get a 3GB model, and I want something that will fit my black and red theme and have a backplate. So far I'm looking at these two:

• Gigabyte D5 6G ($249.99)
  • MSI Gaming X ($271.99)

How bad is the Gigabyte cooler on Nvidia cards? I know it's pretty awful om the AMD cards. Is it worth the extra $20 to get the MSI one? I'm also interested in the Asus ROG Strix, but it's a bit too pricey for me. Is there a better card I should get?

P.S. I'm using this with a FX-8320 which I will overclock.

I would look at specific reviews online of each, but my MSI 970 has been working great for me. I would say a lot of it comes down to the look and which you like more, performance/temp differences will be marginal.

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

I would look at specific reviews online of each, but my MSI 970 has been working great for me. I would say a lot of it comes down to the look and which you like more, performance/temp differences will be marginal.

totally agree, just pick the one that you like more, or the one that it is going to look better with your PC

that specific Gigabyte model I believe uses a stock PCB where as the MSI uses a custom PCB which will result in better OCing results if thats what you plan on doing

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Definitely look for what works best for you. I have the Asus ROG Strix and Its great. Can get loud with an aggressive fan curve though.

Stick with MSI. All their cards I've had(except for the rx480) have been great

Edit: I rescind the previous statement. Avoid MSI Like the plague!

1 hour ago, GalacticRuler said:

So I've decided on buying a GTX 1060 but want to know which one to buy. I'm not going to get a 3GB model, and I want something that will fit my black and red theme and have a backplate. So far I'm looking at these two:

• MSI Gaming X ($271.99)

How bad is the Gigabyte cooler on Nvidia cards? I know it's pretty awful om the AMD cards. Is it worth the extra $20 to get the MSI one? I'm also interested in the Asus ROG Strix, but it's a bit too pricey for me. Is there a better card I should get?

I'm currently using the asus strix model. It's great. I recently owned the msi gaming x and evga sc, both have bad cooling. Go with asus if you can.

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcjLD

23 minutes ago, Percenary said:

I'm currently using the asus strix model. It's great. I recently owned the msi gaming x and evga sc, both have bad cooling. Go with asus if you can.

Could you possibly show me the difference in performance and temperatures between the ROG Strix and Gaming X?

2 hours ago, GalacticRuler said:

• MSI Gaming X ($271.99)

The Gigabyte cooler on the Nvidia cards work great. I'm assuming you're referring to JayzTwoCents' Gigabyte RX480 review...In that video I believe he says that the Nvidia version works great on the 1080 and isn't sure what is wrong with the RX480 version.

My build:

i7-6800k @ 4.32GHz

ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7

G.Skill Rampage V 4x8GB DDR4-2800MHz @ 2916MHz

Zotac 1070 AMP Extreme @ 2100MHz

Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 NVME SSD

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

NZXT Kraken X61 CPU Cooler

NZXT Hue+

Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

I believe the D5 uses the same PCB as the G1 Gaming card, they just don't bin the chips. The cooler itself is pretty good, not the best, and there are some complaints of coil whine, but definitely not bad.  However there is a nice deal on the Gaming X on Newegg  $259.99, free shipping, $15 rebate. I'd definitely recommend that  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127963

The  performance is close to or even exactly the same. The cooling on the SC just wasn't enough for me. It got into the 70s and even the 80s at one point. The strix, however, doesn't go over 60.

My Current Rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO GPU: ASUS STRIX OC 1070 Motherboard: MSI Z170-A Gaming M5 Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400 Storage: A-Data Premier 240GB SSD/Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM Case: NZXT S340 PSU: Corsair RM750i Monitors: Acer R240HY/ Dell S2716DG

7 minutes ago, Percenary said:

The  performance is close to or even exactly the same. The cooling on the SC just wasn't enough for me. It got into the 70s and even the 80s at one point. The strix, however, doesn't go over 60.

What about the MSI Gaming X? I've already ruled out the EVGA SC Gaming because of its single fan cooler.

Great as well. But the evga sc and asus strix pull ahead a tad in performance.

My Current Rig:

19 hours ago, JoshM813 said:

The Gigabyte cooler on the Nvidia cards work great. I'm assuming you're referring to JayzTwoCents' Gigabyte RX480 review...In that video I believe he says that the Nvidia version works great on the 1080 and isn't sure what is wrong with the RX480 version.

I haven't seen many videos about this but what I've heard/impression I have is that Gigabyte isn't the best on AMD but good for Nvidia.  I really like my Gigabyte G1 1070.  It's definitely quieter and runs cooler than whatever basic MSI 970 had come in my computer when I'd bought it as a prebuilt.  Thankfully I've upgraded the heck out of the thing since then.

1 hour ago, GalacticRuler said:

What about the MSI Gaming X? I've already ruled out the EVGA SC Gaming because of its single fan cooler.

Doesn't EVGA make a 2 fan cooler 1060?

Or maybe look at Gigabyte's G1 1060 or I think they make a extreme gaming version?  Those should have non-reference pcb if you care about overclocking.

I have the MSI GTX 1070 gaming X it looks really sexy in my red and black build and never goes above 65c. Also overclocked to 2200 MHz and 4600 MHz on the mem clock. I really recommend MSI products. They are really good.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage