Computer that is cheap and can handle SFM well?

AniJan
On 1/3/2017 at 1:52 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

Well it's very similar except the rx 480,  but you found a cheap one too?

Otherwise the case is worse and the ram is slower. 

Is it possible to get a better processor? Like the i5?

What if I boosted my budget to $600?

39 minutes ago, AniJan said:

Not really...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PCxY2R

If you're looking at an i5 the most performance per dollar at the moment is resting right about the 6600k which also means youd want to upgrade your chipset to go along with it. So you end up bumping your build about 200$. 

On the upside you gain 2 cores, the ability to overclock, faster clock rates, and a better cooler to start out with since the 6600k doesn't come out of the box with one. Jumping to the i5 alone wouldn't really benefit you like the others in the thread were telling you. The games and software you mainly want this computer for are not optimized for multithread computing. So you would be wasting your money. The build that Coaxial made up for you is a pretty solid build, however now that you've already waited for so long, you may as well sit on your hands until the release of AMD's new architecture and chip set "Ryzen". Everybody watching CES is waiting with baited breath to see what happens and if they are going to be able to compete with intels $1100 price point CPU's for a third of the cost. 

to be completely honest buying a computer right now if you don't absolutely have to would be a really foolish choice. Keep your eyes  peeled for any information on Ryzen. There's plenty of buzz about it here on the forum. 

i7 4930k \ Asus P9X79 LE \ Corsair H100i \ 16 GB DDR3 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus Strix R9 380x 4GB \ Crucial 500 GB Sata III SSD \ Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W \ Corsair Crystal 460 Black \ Razer Naga Molten edition \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers \ Hyper X Cloud Alpha \ 

i5 6600k\ Asus Z170-A \ Corsair H100i v2 \ 16 GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaw \ Asus GTX 1060 6GB 4GB \ SanDisk 480 GB Sata III SSD \ Seasonic G Series550W \ DIYPC Skyline 06 black/green \ Razer Naga Epic \ Razer Black Widow Chroma \ Logitech 2.1 Speakers \ Logitech G430 \ 

1 hour ago, AniJan said:

You could get,  say get a 6500 without switching out the rest the components,  but you wouldn't necessarily see any improvement in sfm. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

You could get,  say get a 6500 without switching out the rest the components,  but you wouldn't necessarily see any improvement in sfm. 

i3 would be well enough to run any type of animation softwares, right?

What if I were to create animations like these?

Or maybe heavy animation, with tons of detail, and action?

9 hours ago, AniJan said:

i3 would be well enough to run any type of animation softwares, right?

What if I were to create animations like these?

Or maybe heavy animation, with tons of detail, and action?

I'm really not sure.  Haven't really done any animation.  But it should be ok.  Technically,  even a celeron can do it,  but processing will take longer.  

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

12 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I'm really not sure.  Haven't really done any animation.  But it should be ok.  Technically,  even a celeron can do it,  but processing will take longer.  

Hm. So shouldn't I get a a better processor? Like an i5?

Actually, if possible, can you make a build that is better with animation? Sorry if I'm asking a lot.

(Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know too much about processors)

1 hour ago, AniJan said:

Hm. So shouldn't I get a a better processor? Like an i5?

Actually, if possible, can you make a build that is better with animation? Sorry if I'm asking a lot.

(Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know too much about processors)

If you can get an i5 in your budget,  then sure!  Their currently aren't any new parts out.  New chips are coming out in a month or so. But at the moment,  i can't really make anything better for the same price without cutting too many corners. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 5:25 PM, Coaxialgamer said:

If you can get an i5 in your budget,  then sure!  Their currently aren't any new parts out.  New chips are coming out in a month or so. But at the moment,  i can't really make anything better for the same price without cutting too many corners. 

So.

What about the CD Drive? Is it part of the HDD..?

17 hours ago, AniJan said:

So.

What about the CD Drive? Is it part of the HDD..?

You can get an optical drive if you want.  After all,  they only cost ~15$. But the general consensus is that they really aren't needed anymore,  because you rarely need to read or write to a cd/dvd,  thanks to everything being online.  

I have one,  and i must've used it like twice since i got my pc two years ago. 

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

You can get an optical drive if you want.  After all,  they only cost ~15$. But the general consensus is that they really aren't needed anymore,  because you rarely need to read or write to a cd/dvd,  thanks to everything being online.  

I have one,  and i must've used it like twice since i got my pc two years ago. 

Well, what if I got a virus or something..?

Or maybe I have some backup files in my CDs....?

Et cetera. Would I need an optical drive then?

1 hour ago, AniJan said:

Well, what if I got a virus or something..?

Or maybe I have some backup files in my CDs....?

Et cetera. Would I need an optical drive then?

How would an optical drive help if you get a virus ( the likeliness of which is low btw )

If you have a need for an optical drive , you can go ahead and buy one for 15$ . You can even salvage one from an older pc if it's sata .Or there are usb optical drives you can also get