My thoughts on the R9 280X's reception

Camsung

I just want to share my opinion on the rebranded 7970, the R9 280X from AMD. This GPU has not been received well by the enthusiast community due to its almost identical performance when compared to the last-gen (but still incredibly fast) 7970. I actually think that the 280X's critical reception stems not from its performance, but from the horrible new naming scheme AMD has implemented this time round.

Let us consider, for example, that AMD had not decided to release this card as the R9 280X and instead called it the Radeon HD 8870. This card would then have been able to smoke the 7870, which it would be directly replacing, and blow it out of the water while being priced roughly the same as a 7970. Psychologically speaking, the community would be much happier with this "8870", even though it would have been the exact same piece of hardware as the 280X. The name makes a HUGE difference in how a product is received, and if AMD had released it as the 8870, I think a lot of people would be able and willing to overlook the fact that it uses the exact same chip as the 7970, because it would technically be two tiers LOWER (assuming there would still be an 8950 and 8970). This is why the GTX 770 was not as harshly criticized for being a rebranded GTX 680, since it was numerically placed a tier lower than the 780 while being faster than the previous-gen flagship (that and the gorgeous reference cooler that actually became more desirable than aftermarket designs for once).

Another interesting thing to note is that the 7970 now costs less than a 280X and comes with three free games as part of AMD's Never Settle bundle. That, coupled with the 7970's legendary overclocking headroom, means that there is really no reason to purchase a 280X unless you want to brag about how you own the latest hardware (TTL himself actually said this in one of his recent videos).

Again, these are just my thoughts. Feel free to agree/disagree :) I know there already exists an 8000 series from AMD which are OEM GPUs, but they could just as easily have used the 9000 series for their new cards.

Interesting theory, I'm not a big fan of the new naming scheme either, but I guess it was the time to change, coming close to HD10xxx =P

You have a good point, people are still recommanding the 7970 over the 280X if it's cheaper, but we don't see anyone recommanding a 680 instead of the 770, even though they are also very similar cards.

Ya...definitely plays a part.

Another issue is price.

The 7970 and the 280X are competitors so whoever performs better, has better perks, and is CHEAPER will win

Unfortunately for AMD the 7970 takes the cake in all of those categories

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

They had already used the 8000 series names for OEMs so they couldn't have really gone that route for naming.

i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | ASUS STRIX 970 | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600Mhz | 128GB/256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2x 240GB Intel 335 Series | 1TB WD Black | Corsair 650TX | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced (Ghost White) | Win 10 Pro

They had already used the 8000 series names for OEMs so they couldn't have really gone that route for naming.

I mentioned that in my original post

I think AMD should have introduced a new architecture for EVERY SINGLE card in the new naming scheme. Hawaii all the way so there would be no 'rebranding' accusations.

I do agree with you. Everyone is focused on the 7970 price drops.

8000 series are OEM.

I know there already exists an 8000 series from AMD which are OEM GPUs, but they could just as easily have used the 9000 series for their new cards.

Before everyone starts yelling that the 8000 series technically already exists :P

I mentioned that in my original post

I apologize for overlooking that. You could have used the 9000 series as an example then instead of using an already existing series of cards.

i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | ASUS STRIX 970 | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600Mhz | 128GB/256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2x 240GB Intel 335 Series | 1TB WD Black | Corsair 650TX | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced (Ghost White) | Win 10 Pro

I apologize for overlooking that. You could have used the 9000 series as an example then instead of using an already existing series of cards.

Good point, but I guess I just used the 8000 series to make it easier to understand that it's a direct successor to the 7000 series :)

They could have gone on for two more generations or they could of ben like f it and gone for the 10000series and i doubt it would affect people. I totally agree with what you saying.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Interesting theory I can personally agree on. This is like calling the enthusiast children per say. They want what has better performance by name. Most people who are uninformed might got for a 6970 instead of a 7870 even though they both preform similar in benchmarks. Psychologically speaking, their minds are wanting one of higher tier in terms of the name. Children would easily go for a Wii Deluxe for $100.00 USD more (this is an example) than a regular Wii even when the Wii Deluxe only has a sticker which they can buy for $0.50 USD on amazon for a pack of 10 stickers. This amounts to the fact people want more.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The interesting thing would be if the components are different as in companies names etc

Most cars go through a facelift where they change the parts for more reliable one, it would be interesting if this was the case

Thanks for all the feedback guys :) I'd really like to get Linus and Slick's opinion on this as well if possible

I think the r9 280x wasn't a bad idea, except the naming scheme.

I ordered a HD 7970 Matrix yesterday because it was so dirt cheap and I can still go for crossfire because there are 280x Matrix cards around even after the HD 7970 ones aren't in stock anymore. 

144Hz goodness

I think the r9 280x wasn't a bad idea, except the naming scheme.

I ordered a HD 7970 Matrix yesterday because it was so dirt cheap and I can still go for crossfire because there are 280x Matrix cards around even after the HD 7970 ones aren't in stock anymore. 

How much did you get the 7970 Matrix for?

How much did you get the 7970 Matrix for?

315€, 10€ more than a DC2 r9 280x would have cost

144Hz goodness

315€, 10€ more than a DC2 r9 280x would have cost

O.o where did you find that deal?!!! btw i think the r9 280X matrix is $370 on NCIX i think

It's just a small German retail company.

$370 is very hefty. I gotta say though, the Sapphire Toxic costs about 310, 5€ more than a DC2 which is 20€ more expensive than a Vapor-X and 40€ more expensive than a Msi Gaming Edition 280x.

I would've gone with two Toxics but they're too long for my case and don't have illuminating logos.

144Hz goodness