i5 3570K vs FX-8350 Showdown Part 1 - 1080p & no AA

LinusTech

Redo the tests Linus.

-Use the Titan so there isn't a GPU bottleneck of any kind

-Test at STOCK clocks, this is the most reasonable as not everyone overclocks

-Test more games, 8-9 games is not a lot at all

Very disappointed in this, you might as well wait for Steamroller to come out and then redo these tests.

Finally truthful benchmarks. Only further shows that Logan doesn't know what he's doing.

should do stock clocks... not everyone overclock... alot of gamers dont know anything about computers' date=' so overclocking it doesnt show how im sure 70% of gamers would use[/quote']

Well if they don't know anything about computers then this isn't the place for them. This video is for all us PC enthusiasts. And every PC enthusiast will eventually overclock.

You can find plenty of stock vs stock results online.

Finally truthful benchmarks. Only further shows that Logan doesn't know what he's doing.

Linus and Logan did COMPLETELY different settings and benchmarks. Logan MAXES out the game, Linus chose not to do AA. AA can and WILL have a HUGE performance loss depending on the game.

Logan does know what he's doing and Linus just backed it up with his video. The 8350 and the 3570k go neck and neck and each excels in separate games better than the other.

WTB benchmarks like Logan did where he streamed in HD while gaming .... and ... Linus what memory was used with each cpu ? Doesn't an AMD cpu benefit from faster ram ?

APU, not AMD cpu.

Linus and Logan did COMPLETELY different settings and benchmarks. Logan MAXES out the game, Linus chose not to do AA. AA can and WILL have a HUGE performance loss depending on the game.

Logan does know what he's doing and Linus just backed it up with his video. The 8350 and the 3570k go neck and neck and each excels in separate games better than the other.

AA doesn't matter for a CPU benchmark. They did not do "completely" different tests.

Yea I'm not hating on the 8350, it's a great CPU but Logan's benchmarks are laughable at best.

Redo the tests Linus. -Use the Titan so there isn't a GPU bottleneck of any kind -Test at STOCK clocks' date=' this is the most reasonable as not everyone overclocks -Test more games, 8-9 games is not a lot at all Very disappointed in this, you might as well wait for Steamroller to come out and then redo these tests.[/quote']

Why would you put it at stock clocks? These are unlocked CPU's and are meant to be overclocked and if you're not going to overclock might as well get a locked processor.

I don't think a 660ti is a bottleneck.

WTB benchmarks like Logan did where he streamed in HD while gaming ....

and ...

Linus what memory was used with each cpu ? Doesn't an AMD cpu benefit from faster ram ?

APU's only benefit from faster RAM. He used some Munchkin Copperhead RAM 1600Mhz CL9

"We saw very very similar performance on Far Cry 3" They were the same number Linus :P

Those results weren't what I was expecting..

I realize :P

I just saw the 8320 for $140 this past weekend at Microcenter...couldn't believe my eyes. They also had the 8350 a few weeks ago for $170. If you get it at those prices, especially the 8320, then definitely AMD no questions asked.
I know right?!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

AA does matter, that's why Linus did tests with AA off and ON.

Very interesting and exciting point. I am looking forward to seeing if Haswell on 1150 will provide us with a 6 core CPU, and then for Ivy Bridge-E to release a 8, 10 or even 12 core CPU for that platform. Here's me hoping!!

AA doesn't matter for CPUs. The averages will just be lower b/c the GPU will tank AA.

Please explain how freakin AA impacts the CPU...

lol so many comments :D

i will never buy a intel CPU :cool:

the FX series are the best CPU gamer (and they get better and better)

the APU are the king of all in one CPU/GPU (it's that simple)

and the 7000 series GPU are by far, the best Graphics Cards in the word

i love ♥ AMD ;)

(and in case you call me a fanboy, well... f yeah :o i am a AMD fan boy)

• AMD 7850 - 2GB GDDR5 256bits
  • gBANDWIDTH = 170.2 GB/s
  • gSHADERS = 1024 unified
  • gCPUoc = 1050 mhz
  • gMEMoc = 1330 mhz (x4)
  • gPIXELfillrate = 33.6 GP/s
  • gTEXTUREfillrate = 67.2 GT/s

Same opinion as wats; I saw the vid and immediately thought; 4.2GHz this is such a low overclock.

I have never seen people take the middle ground to gain a performance boost out of their CPU.

Would love to see these tests again at stock and at all you can push out of the chips with a H100i because tbf that will be achievable by anyone +/- 200MHz.

Like you said the FX produces more heat so you can overclock it far less if you are temperature limited.

He chose 4.2GHz probably because that is what you get when you turn on the automatic overclocking thingy on your motherboard.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

WTB benchmarks like Logan did where he streamed in HD while gaming ....

and ...

Linus what memory was used with each cpu ? Doesn't an AMD cpu benefit from faster ram ?

Except for the RAM thing, you've got a point. But only a minority of gamers stream while gaming anyway.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

Linus,

1. Is the optimization fix from microsoft applied?

2. 4.2GHz on the Intel is not something majority of people would get, something along the lines of 4.3-4.4GHz would be preferable.

3. Use your titan to eliminate GPU as a factor.

4. More games, not just the latest few.

5. Run something in the background, such as streaming or voip clients/servers.(ignore this one if not realistic)

I guess you can see this from two angles:

1. Will the CPU make a difference for a "normal" gamer with a 660Ti?

2. What's the faster CPU? And in this case you should use an overclocked Titan to avoid any GPU-bottlenecks.

to know the face of Dodge is to know madness

Take a look at what I’ve been watching…

I agree with Techfan@ic as well. The 8320 is a lot cheaper than the 3570K and it can often be overclocked just as much as a 8350..

The price difference between the 3570K and the 8320 is 25% where I live. Combined with the fact that quality AM3+ boards are much cheaper than quality LGA1155 boards (€152 vs €209 for the ASUS Sabertooth, €154 vs €208 for the Gigabyte UD5, and many others) and that the most modern games don't really show a noticeable difference, it seems like a clear win for AMD.

The extra power consumption by the 8320/50 is negligible. Logan showed that you'd need to have your pc a full load for something like 3 years to break even with a 3570K, or something along those lines.

The only downside with AMD stuff is that board choice is limited (no really good MicroATX or ITX boards) and small stuff like that.

Also the choice of GPU is weird. A GTX660TI is not a high end card in my eyes. Re run it with at least a 7970/680 to eliminate GPU bottleneck because that's what has seemed to create the similar results with Crysis 3 and some other stuff

to me, if i get playable framerates in most if not all games using a reasonable graphics card, it really doesn't matter which processor i get for gaming. i'm happy to see i'm not missing out on much should i end up staying with AMD for my upgrade route; the only concern i might have would be improperly-optimized games like Starcraft 2 and Skyrim, which by default tend to favor Intel for some reason or another...

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

• 4 weeks later...
So lets break this down... AMD 8350 is 200$ and 3570k is 230 which is 15% more in price. So with the exception for SC2 and Skyrim. Both silly titles but w/e The 8350 Wins in price to performance ratio. if the 3570k doesn't beat it by 15% more its a win. So in concluding you cant go wrong with the 8350 for its current price and more optimizations coming in future games. This doesn't even mention the average price on high end boards is also lower for AMD.

This.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to see these benchmarks with the 3770K at 4.2Ghz thrown in as well.

It seems like in some modern games the ability of the fx-8350 to run 8 threads compensates for the lower IPC. The logical question is would the 3770K provide the best of both worlds with the high IPC of Intel as well as the ability to run 8 threads. Or would the fact that it's achieved via hyperthreading mean that's it's still no faster than a 3570K in gaming.

Linus, you have got to re-do these tests.

We all know you have a Titan, don't ruin the test because the 660ti is "...very, very, very popular."

No way 95% of people are only overclocking their 3570K's to 4.2GHz... The clock for the 8350 seems OK-ish... Should of gone further.

Dislike for charity :[ ....

The 660Ti is popular if your on a budget. The test clearly shows an "average gamers" build. Both the Intel and AMD are similarly price. Why would you use a Titan for a average gamers build? Make no sense. 

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz