GPU OC

Festive
Go to solution Solved by laushik,

Even if you set it at max voltage it will be safe because all graphics card have a vbios that allows the card never to go above a certain voltage. So feel free to put the voltage at 100% and continue on with ur oc.

So I decided to wipe my old OC on my 1080 because Afterburner wouldnt let me change the voltage even though it was enabled so I decided to use the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming software to try that out instead. Here it lets me change the voltage. I was just wondering what are safe amounts to increase voltage by?  Should I keep increasing by 10mV at a time until temperature is too high or is there a certain number (in mV) that I should use as my maximum and not go over?

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Even if you set it at max voltage it will be safe because all graphics card have a vbios that allows the card never to go above a certain voltage. So feel free to put the voltage at 100% and continue on with ur oc.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

1 hour ago, laushik said:

I actually think you are correct but I would at least like a second opinion to be completely safe. Thanks a lot.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

@Godlygamer23 you have any insight on this?

•  

10 minutes ago, Festive said:

I actually think you are correct but I would at least like a second opinion to be completely safe. Thanks a lot.

You should be fine turning it all the way up. NVIDIA will not allow the voltage to become unsafe. But if you want to keep your voltage as low as possible, keep increasing the clocks until it either stops boosting, or you experience crashing/other weird things, then start adding little bits of voltage. 10mv should be fine. But the less you add the better because even if it's safe to run the highest voltage setting 24/7, it will increase degradation on the GPU. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You should be fine turning it all the way up. NVIDIA will not allow the voltage to become unsafe. But if you want to keep your voltage as low as possible, keep increasing the clocks until it either stops boosting, or you experience crashing/other weird things, then start adding little bits of voltage. 10mv should be fine. But the less you add the better because even if it's safe to run the highest voltage setting 24/7, it will increase degradation on the GPU. 

1 hour ago, laushik said:

Thanks to both of you.

•