Laptop recommendation please?

ramo55

Hi,

So basically I'm after a new laptop but there's so many options out there so it can kind of seem too hard to pick. I'm after one that should be easily able to run some casual games, games like gta 5, the crew and things like that, nothing super heavy. I'd also like it to be able to render videos. It doesn't have to render videos in like super fast speeds, currently my laptop with an intel graphics card can render out a basic video in 15 minutes. if the new one can do the same job but in 10 minutes or less that would be great. Ohh and my budget is around £400 so let me know what you guys think?

Edit: okay it seems £400 and gta 5 is a bit of a stretch, so suggest me laptops that are able to run gta 5 and close to the £400 range?

2 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

Hi,

So basically I'm after a new laptop but there's so many options out there so it can kind of seem too hard to pick. I'm after one that should be easily able to run some casual games, games like gta 5, the crew and things like that, nothing super heavy. I'd also like it to be able to render videos. It doesn't have to render videos in like super fast speeds, currently my laptop with an intel graphics card can render out a basic video in 15 minutes. if the new one can do the same job but in 10 minutes or less that would be great. Ohh and my budget is around £400 so let me know what you guys think?

You want to play GTA V on a laptop for 400? Sorry but that is not happening. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

You want to play GTA V on a laptop for 400? Sorry but that is not happening. 

My friend has an msi laptop, 2gb graphics card for £400 and it can play gta v fine.

At this point you're wondering why not buy the same laptop as him? Well his laptop is no longer on sale when I checked.

1 minute ago, ramo55 said:

My friend has an msi laptop, 2gb graphics card for £400 and it can play gta v fine.

At this point you're wondering why not buy the same laptop as him? Well his laptop is no longer on sale when I checked.

Find one second hand then

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

1 minute ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Find one second hand then

But I'm not interested in a second hand laptop...

Just now, ramo55 said:

But I'm not interested in a second hand laptop...

Why not? You can find lots of items in pristine condition for much less than market value.

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

I will bet my own 1300 MSI laptop, 2GB graphics card, that he either turned down the resolution aLOT or bought it used

You are right. The settings wern't turned up to full, but that doesn't matter to me. If it can run gta 5 on low settings I'm still happy since I'm not a massive gamer, would there be anything out there for £400 that can do this? I also notice alot of people ignoring the rendering videos part, is that easily achieved by a laptop for £400?

8 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

Hi,

If you are not going to buy second hand, your not even going to play games that came out in 2010. If you would build a desktop for 400$ or whatever currency, it would be fine. Even better if you buy second hand parts. If none of those options work for you, then simply your not going to do any video rendering or gaming. Laptops cost way more to do stuff that basic low end desktops do because of power consumption limitations 

2 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

Why not? You can find lots of items in pristine condition for much less than market value.

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand and you are right, but there are some items which I prefer to own from new. You never know how the previous owner used/handled the device and things like that, but I appreciate your idea.

1 minute ago, ramo55 said:

You are right. The settings wern't turned up to full, but that doesn't matter to me. If it can run gta 5 on low settings I'm still happy since I'm not a massive gamer, would there be anything out there for £400 that can do this? I also notice alot of people ignoring the rendering videos part, is that easily achieved by a laptop for £400?

Should still go second hand, there isn't a huge £400 market, its normally -£300 or £600+ 

16 minutes ago, Small2134 said:

If you are not going to buy second hand, your not even going to play games that came out in 2010. If you would build a desktop for 400$ or whatever currency, it would be fine. Even better if you buy second hand parts. If none of those options work for you, then simply your not going to do any video rendering or gaming. Laptops cost way more to do stuff that basic low end desktops do because of power consumption limitations 

Yea I know a pc would be so much better but it's not portable sadly. What do you think would be a good price then for a laptop that can do this? £600?

13 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Nothing for 400 pounds, no. 

Nothing for 400 pounds... No. For what you want at the price point currently just isnt possible.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

Nothing for 400 pounds... Yes. For what you want at the price point currently just isnt possible.

What's a good price then for something like I want? £600? If so which laptops?

35 minutes ago, ramo55 said:

What's a good price then for something like I want? £600? If so which laptops?

The Acer Aspire has poor build quality but has a 940mx (still pretty wimpy specs...)for a little over 600, the Lenovo Ideapad (the black one not the red one) would be much better and it has a 6300HQ but it's ~700 maybe see if it goes on sale. I would avoid the AMD variant sense it gets much worse reviews.  

So if you wanna run GTA 5 normal at 768p (this is as low as I'll go) you need at least an A12-9700p with R7 graphics (Bristol) or 940m. Idk if you can even get the A12 in UK. If you aren't going second hand you're pretty much fucked. You can pick up 860ms are a margin right now. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

3 hours ago, ramo55 said:

Yea I know a pc would be so much better but it's not portable sadly. What do you think would be a good price then for a laptop that can do this? £600?

None. It would take WEEKS to render a 1080p 60 fps 30 minute video on cpu. Not worth it. It would take DAYS if there was a gpu and even at that price, it would not be recommended. You SIMPLY DO NOT NEED A LAPTOP THAT NEEDS THAT KIND OF POWER! If your using Adobe products, you should be able to keep up with the demanding tasks with an i3. You simply have your budget to low for any kind of power. You need a 1070 at least to do some good editing but at that point it's not worth 2.5k. Buy a 200$ chromebook SINCE Adobe has made their servers do the processing and stuff and build a 3-500$ rig that can run all the games at 1080 low at 45-70fps. You can make your computer a host, and game stream your games from your gaming PC to your laptop. I've tried it and worlds reasonably. You should not play games like csgo but any other game should work fine!