Cheap modmic alternative

Mobby Dick

Hello everyone,

since I have dropped my 8€ speedlink mic a few weeks ago, people on Teamspeak are complaining about some weird noises it makes, so I guess I need a new one.

I am looking for something just like the modmic: I should be able to attach it to my headphones (since it's kinda annoying to have two cables) and it shouldn't pick up every sound in my room. The only problem I have is, that I don't want to spend 60€ for a microphone when I am not even doing voice overs or recording things.

So maybe you have a cheap alternative or anything else that would solve my problem :) 

Max. budget would be around 30€.

Just now, Miller1218 said:

blue snow ball

60€ in Germany :/

Boom arm would be another 10€ and it picks up background noise...

5 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Hello everyone,

since I have dropped my 8€ speedlink mic a few weeks ago, people on Teamspeak are complaining about some weird noises it makes, so I guess I need a new one.

I am looking for something just like the modmic: I should be able to attach it to my headphones (since it's kinda annoying to have two cables) and it shouldn't pick up every sound in my room. The only problem I have is, that I don't want to spend 60€ for a microphone when I am not even doing voice overs or recording things.

So maybe you have a cheap alternative or anything else that would solve my problem :) 

Max. budget would be around 30€.

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

Friend has this, sounds good enough. Actually supirsingly nice. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Just buy a cheap decent mic, and tape it to the heatset. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

2 hours ago, Katsunaka said:

Fry's has this deal.

-snip-

Sounds like a great deal. Unfortunately I live in Germany and they say nothing about their international shipping costs... (Just that it is more expensive than in the US)

+ Taxes and everything would make this as expensive as buying it in Germany, so not worth it :/ thanks anyways :)

What headphones do you use? and does it have a detachable cable because if it does check out Vmoda boom pro and see if your headphones are compatible. just requires a 3.5mm input on your headphones.

15 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

So he just clips it to his headphone cable and it works decent?

yup. its that simple. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

20 minutes ago, stevenchoi56 said:

What headphones do you use? and does it have a detachable cable because if it does check out Vmoda boom pro and see if your headphones are compatible. just requires a 3.5mm input on your headphones.

I have the Bose AE2 (I know not the best for the money they cost), so unfortunately it doesn't work :/

5 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

I have the Bose AE2 (I know not the best for the money they cost), so unfortunately it doesn't work :/

Probably not the best option but like incase your interested I used to have a pair of bose qc15 and instead of buying a mic I ended up buying a asus xonar u3. I have used it for about 3 years now and it boosted the sound of my mic while still making the sound clean so if all else fails that could be an option for you.

11 hours ago, stevenchoi56 said:

Probably not the best option but like incase your interested I used to have a pair of bose qc15 and instead of buying a mic I ended up buying a asus xonar u3. I have used it for about 3 years now and it boosted the sound of my mic while still making the sound clean so if all else fails that could be an option for you.

I already use a pcie sound card, so no option... But thanks for your help :)