In-take Fan Dust Filter Question

PhpManilaBeer

Hi,

Okay, so I'm about to embark on a DIY pc case build.

I nearly have everything planned out down to the number of screws I'm gonna use.

I just have a quick question regarding dust filters.

Since I'm gonna place the case on top of a desk, are fan filter necessary?

Please take note that I'm a smoker and that made me question the filter thing a bit.

Firstly, what case are you using? Almost every good quality case will have filters on the intake. There's no need for filters on the exhausts. To answer the main question though, no it's not necessary to have filters if the PC is on a desk but you'll have to be vigilant about checking his much dust is accumulating and cleaning every month or so. I don't have any filters on my PC(also on a desk) and I don't have to clean dust that often.

EDIT: Didn't see that you are a smoker. Firstly, don't smoke around your computer. Get a vape pen or something but seriously smoker tar is the worst kind of dust computer can get. For the sake of your own lungs you should probably switch to vaping permanently anyway.

19 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Firstly, what case are you using? Almost every good quality case will have filters on the intake. There's no need for filters on the exhausts. To answer the main question though, no it's not necessary to have filters if the PC is on a desk but you'll have to be vigilant about checking his much dust is accumulating and cleaning every month or so. I don't have any filters on my PC(also on a desk) and I don't have to clean dust that often.

EDIT: Didn't see that you are a smoker. Firstly, don't smoke around your computer. Get a vape pen or something but seriously smoker tar is the worst kind of dust computer can get. For the sake of your own lungs you should probably switch to vaping permanently anyway.

I actually plan on building my own case.. :D

with acrylic and some pieces of wood(maybe go the metal route)..

I did try to switch to vape and I didn't end up liking it.

1 minute ago, PhpManilaBeer said:

I actually plan on building my own case.. :D

with acrylic and some pieces of wood(maybe go the metal route)..

I did try to switch to vape and I didn't end up liking it.

It's better to have filters but even the best filters won't stop cigarette tar. That stuff is seriously nasty. Seriously though run the computer for a few months while smoking and take a peek inside. Maybe then you'll see the kind of crap your putting in your lungs. Sorry if I seem a bit salty but my grandfather is currently dying of asophogal cancer from smoking and my previous colleague had a stroke at 22 because of his smoking. Don't mess with your lungs bro.

2 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

It's better to have filters but even the best filters won't stop cigarette tar. That stuff is seriously nasty. Seriously though run the computer for a few months while smoking and take a peek inside. Maybe then you'll see the kind of crap your putting in your lungs. Sorry if I seem a bit salty but my grandfather is currently dying of asophogal cancer from smoking and my previous colleague had a stroke at 22 because of his smoking. Don't mess with your lungs bro.

Alright, will do.

I guess I have some minor redesigning to do.

uh..

no biggie man..

appreciate the inputs on both the filter thing and the smoking ordeal..
:D:D