Help with budget PC for mom

MGAD

So I'm looking for some input from builders more experienced than myself. 

Short version: I want to build my mom a new pc for cheap as a christmas present but don't want to break the bank. 

Long version: My mom has a pc that's God knows how old (best guess, 10 years old). It's really starting to show its age and is starting to struggle with even simple web browsing and flash games when she has a bunch of tabs open at once. She thinks she needs to spend $1000 on a new computer because that's what she's always done...I'd much rather build her something that more than meets her needs for the next few years for more like $300-$400 . All she really uses her computer for is web browsing, browser games, and using microsoft office. The problem I have is I've built some decent gaming pcs but I've never put together a budget pc and don't know what would be the best bet for someone with her limited computing needs. I figure I won't bother with a graphics card, integrated graphics should manage all the intense youtubing she does. An Intel G4400 or i3 6100 seem like reasonable options to me, but I'd really like a second opinion and some advice. 

Thanks a ton!

1 minute ago, MGAD said:

I managed to build a g4400 rig for $150. Link in my sig

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

If its just basic word processing and web browsing, an Intel compute stick will be fine. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

9 minutes ago, MGAD said:

Short version: I want to build my mom a new pc for cheap as a christmas present but don't want to break the bank. 

Long version: My mom has a pc that's God knows how old (best guess, 10 years old). It's really starting to show its age and is starting to struggle with even simple web browsing and flash games when she has a bunch of tabs open at once. She thinks she needs to spend $1000 on a new computer because that's what she's always done...I'd much rather build her something that more than meets her needs for the next few years for more like $300-$400 . All she really uses her computer for is web browsing, browser games, and using microsoft office. The problem I have is I've built some decent gaming pcs but I've never put together a budget pc and don't know what would be the best bet for someone with her limited computing needs. I figure I won't bother with a graphics card, integrated graphics should manage all the intense youtubing she does. An Intel G4400 or i3 6100 seem like reasonable options to me, but I'd really like a second opinion and some advice. 

Thanks a ton!

swap out ssd for 1tb is also good https://pcpartpicker.com/user/masterkickass7/saved/#view=Jp9Jxr

small pc:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) very fast, your mom likely won't complain about speed with this around.
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $288.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 00:57 EDT-0400

if she's fine with a smaller pc:

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($32.94 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: SK hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($33.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $248.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 00:59 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

35 minutes ago, MGAD said:

Thanks a ton!

I managed to get an overkill office PC for 400$. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/vNZ89W

i got it to cost that much by taking advantage of sales and deals 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I would personally get a Skylake Pentium, paired with a budget ITX motherboard in an ITX case. Since she isn't doing much on her PC, just have one 240gb ssd, as it will dramatically boost the performance and speed of the OS. I woudn't buy windows for her needs. At my office, were all running linux Ubuntu with 120gb ssds because its great for basic productivity and webrowsing.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mmH3F
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3mmH3F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Avexir Budget Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $392.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 10:49 EDT-0400

Maybe this? 500gb ssd and 1tb hard disk

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($32.94 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Avexir Budget Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($110.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply  ($27.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $339.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 11:14 EDT-0400

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

Some things that come to mind:

-Focus on the less tangible aspects.

Think lack of noise. Good fans, or even a fanless design / case (Streacom cases anyone?). Look at fanless PSUs. Although this is of course all dependent on budget.

-Aesthethics. Consider the case size and looks. Most non-techies like a nice clean silent no-maintenance dust-free case a lot more than a big open design with bling bling leds and extreme cooling performance. When you go low budget, a lot of the really cheap cases look and feel like cheap plastic. Try to think a bit more like Apple... 

-I would definitly put in an SSD; someone who doesn't use it very much is likely to boot it up from scratch a lot more than all us enthusiasts who just have it on 24/7.

If they have no big data storage, like photos, you could consider an all SSD design.