My new AKG K7XX and leather+water= DISASTER?

CardinalHunter

So I have a habit of wiping my new stuff after I unboxed them but that's not important. Well just a few hours back, I wiped my new out-of-the-box K7XX with a piece of cloth with around the same moisture of wet wipes(give or take a little) and I wiped the leather strap and I was just informed doing that could make the strap stiff and thus making wearing the headphones uncomfortable. Now my questions are:

1. how long is it gonna take to have the strap become stiff?
  2. how can I save my headphones?

4 hours ago, as96 said:

I doubt it will do anything, don't worry.

thanks I guess?

4 hours ago, as96 said:

I doubt it will do anything, don't worry.

also, is the leather strap meant to be a little greasy cuz I still feel a little grease after wiping it

4 hours ago, CardinalHunter said:

also, is the leather strap meant to be a little greasy cuz I still feel a little grease after wiping it

Greasy? You mean it's still wet?

Leather won't absorb the water. So when you wipe the leather with a moist cloth, it's gonna leave some water behind. That water will "bead" a little on the leather, which could make it feel slippery, etc.

Seriously, though - don't worry about it. Wiping leather with a wet cloth once won't affect it. Just don't get it wet often, or it could leach the moisture out of the leather. If the leather dries out, it can stiffen or crack, but that requires a lot of abuse.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Greasy? You mean it's still wet?

Leather won't absorb the water. So when you wipe the leather with a moist cloth, it's gonna leave some water behind. That water will "bead" a little on the leather, which could make it feel slippery, etc.

No it wasn't wet cuz like I said, the cloth was like wet wipes so I doubt it would've left water behind.

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Seriously, though - don't worry about it. Wiping leather with a wet cloth once won't affect it. Just don't get it wet often, or it could leach the moisture out of the leather. If the leather dries out, it can stiffen or crack, but that requires a lot of abuse.

Well can I use leather protector to revert the leather back to the state before I wiped it or at least make it last longer?

2 hours ago, CardinalHunter said:

No it wasn't wet cuz like I said, the cloth was like wet wipes so I doubt it would've left water behind.

Well can I use leather protector to revert the leather back to the state before I wiped it or at least make it last longer?

You should use leather protector on all your leather based products. Make sure to follow the directions precisely though, as some may recommend treatment at least once a year or twice a year, etc, in a very specific manner.

Was the "cloth" a pre-moistened wet wipe? Because you keep saying it's like a wet wipe, but a cloth is not like a wet wipe at all.

What was it moistened with? Water? A chemical? What chemical? Alcohol? Some generic cleaning solution?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

You should use leather protector on all your leather based products. Make sure to follow the directions precisely though, as some may recommend treatment at least once a year or twice a year, etc, in a very specific manner.

Was the "cloth" a pre-moistened wet wipe? Because you keep saying it's like a wet wipe, but a cloth is not like a wet wipe at all.

What was it moistened with? Water? A chemical? What chemical? Alcohol? Some generic cleaning solution?

it's water with the same degree of moisture as wet wipes that's why I keep using the word wet wipes

20 minutes ago, CardinalHunter said:

it's water with the same degree of moisture as wet wipes that's why I keep using the word wet wipes

And you're just using a regular household machine washable reusable cloth?

If it was just a regular cloth "dampened" to the same degree of a wet wipe, it would not have left any residue behind, unless there was a contaminant in the water or on the cloth.

Once the leather dries, it should not feel oily or greasy. It should feel smooth, soft, and dry (depending on the finish of the leather - roughly finished leather isn't smooth).

Using water to wipe leather down to clean it is totally safe.

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

And you're just using a regular household machine washable reusable cloth?

If it was just a regular cloth "dampened" to the same degree of a wet wipe, it would not have left any residue behind, unless there was a contaminant in the water or on the cloth.

Once the leather dries, it should not feel oily or greasy. It should feel smooth, soft, and dry (depending on the finish of the leather - roughly finished leather isn't smooth).

Using water to wipe leather down to clean it is totally safe.

it was just your average reusable cloth so should I get leather conditioned now