R9 380 at 99C under load

nikolaizombie1

Hello LTT, 

I recently had the curiosity of checking my gpu temps of my r9 380, knowing that is is a hot card i was expecting over 80c but when i stress tested it with Black ops 3 the temps where in between 95-99c which by what I've heard is horrible. The build i'm running it is in a enthoo evolv itx, and a athlon 860k. The case only one 200mm intake though.

Here's the build for reference:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $70.00) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  (Purchased For $81.00) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $39.00) 
Storage: Transcend SSD370 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $70.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $50.00) 
Total: $490.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 08:36 EDT-0400

Edited by nikolaizombie1

Am I the only one who never went beyond 62°C with a 380? (I'm using a Sapphire Nitro model) Even under heavy load and overclocked. Might sound like a stupid question, but are you sure your fans are running? I reached 95°C when I forgot to unblock the fan speed in MSI Afterburner

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

5 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

Hello LTT, 

I recently had the curiosity of checking my gpu temps of my r9 380, knowing that is is a hot card i was expecting over 80c but when i stress tested it with Black ops 3 the temps where in between 95-99c which by what I've heard is horrible. The build i'm running it is in a enthoo evolv itx, and a athlon 860k. The case only one 200mm intake though.

Here's the build for reference:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $70.00) 
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard  (Purchased For $81.00) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (Purchased For $39.00) 
Storage: Transcend SSD370 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  (Purchased For $70.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $50.00) 
Total: $490.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 08:36 EDT-0400

Damn that's hot, take the cooler off and replace the thermal compound, it ~might~ be old, but I doubt it, is it overclocked? I'm assuming no.

Yours faithfully

I'll check when i get home. But i'm pretty sure that i don't even have msi afterburner installed. I hear the fans ramp up to 100% and saw gpu-z say it was at 100% both gpu and fans

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Damn that's hot, take the cooler off and replace the thermal compound, it ~might~ be old, but I doubt it, is it overclocked? I'm assuming no.

Thermal paste takes years to go bad, that isn't it.

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

i got the card about 10 months ago so i don't think that's it

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That doesn't mean that an error didn't occur during application, and if it's 80°C it won't take long for the thermal compound to go hard. 

3 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

I'll check when i get home. But i'm pretty sure that i don't even have msi afterburner installed. I hear the fans ramp up to 100% and saw gpu-z say it was at 100% both gpu and fans

I'd advise seeing how fast it heats up, if it hits that temp right away it's a bad mount, if it gradually goes up you'll need more case fans maybe. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That doesn't mean that an error occured during application, and if it's 80°C it won't take long for the thermal compound to go hard. 

I'd advise seeing how fast it heats up, if it hits that temp right away it's a bad mount, if it gradually goes up you'll need more case fans maybe. 

immediately when i load up any black ops 3 map (i did revelations for the sake of consistency) it spikes to 95 and above even with v-sync on

Just now, nikolaizombie1 said:

immediately when i load up any black ops 3 map (i did revelations for the sake of consistency) tt spikes to 95 and above even with v-sync on

That sounds more like an issue with the mount, try changing the thermal compound but first make sure nothing on your PC overclocked it, it's not too uncommon for some things to overclock cards (although I've never seen any that did so with over volts, which is the only way I'd imagine 95°C being instantaneous) 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That sounds more like an issue with the mount, try changing the thermal compound but first make sure nothing on your PC overclocked it, it's not too uncommon for some things to overclock cards (although I've never seen any that did so with over volts, which is the only way I'd imagine 95°C being instantaneous) 

I'll check when i get home, this problem was so bad that when i was on vacation in the Caribbean it would shut off the computer of how hot it got. 

Just now, nikolaizombie1 said:

I'll check when i get home, this problem was so bad that when i was on vacation in the Caribbean it would shut off the computer of how hot it got. 

Yeah, I have the old Radeon HD 7870, on an overvolt of 1.3v and overclocked to 1300MHz (Gigabyte wind force card) it takes two or three minutes to hit 95°C, stutter, go to 80°C then repeat, so to hit 90°C-99°C instantly, just wow.

Yours faithfully

maybe you could put a copper pipe on the GPU chip and link it on a big copper pan so you could cook while gaming ?

or use a kraken G10 + corsair H55 or whatever compliant AIO

3 minutes ago, belfouf said:

maybe you could put a copper pipe on the GPU chip and link it on a big copper pan so you could cook while gaming ?

it's a aftermarket card from powercolor so i don't know if it will work, but i'll check if this still isn't resolved, or just get at 1060 for Christmas, yet again upgrading this build is going to be upwards of half a grand 

1 hour ago, Cryosec said:

Am I the only one who never went beyond 62°C with a 380? (I'm using a Sapphire Nitro model) Even under heavy load and overclocked. Might sound like a stupid question, but are you sure your fans are running? I reached 95°C when I forgot to unblock the fan speed in MSI Afterburner

I am using an MSI Gaming 4G(with a custom curve, none of that bullshit 0-fan mode, but fans are set to not go over 50%)...I am barely reaching 60 degrees. It's OCed to 1070MHz, no voltage added.

OP, I think there is something wrong with your card. I mean...99 on an aftermarket cooler. PowerColor makes decent coolers..so it's definitely something wrong.

I checked the specs and I found this:

noiseless.JPG

I think there is something wrong with this setting. Your fans might not spin at all..even if you pass 60 degress.

Get MSI Afterburner and make a custom fan curve(if you need asistance ask here).

Honestly..99 degrees and the fact that it spikes...tells me it's practically passive cooled.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

So I only found 2 review sites that are english for your GPU:

http://techgage.com/article/powercolor-radeon-r9-380-pcs-graphics-card-review/8/

https://www.bjorn3d.com/2015/07/powercolor-pcs-r9-380-4gb-review-axr9-380-4gbd5-ppdhe-affordable-4gb-solution/3/

One site tested it on an open bench and reported 67°C max and the second one inside a case, reporting 77°C max.

Now to your issue of the GPU pretty much hitting 90°C immediately, the cooling solution is simply broken.

Which means that either:

the heatsink is mounted inproperly / became loose.

the heatsink is broken (cracked) somewhere.

the thermal paste is dryed out, or not applied at all. (10months in your case can easily kill cheap thermal paste btw).

or it is just a faulty unit alltogether, in which case the issue can come from the PCB, the chip or from basically everywhere.

BUT even if you would repaste the card and reset the heatsink and the immediat temperature-spike problem goes away there is still the issue of your case is having literally 0 cooling.

You live in a country where even now you will have what, like 30°C ambient? You choose a mini ITX case w/o an open sidepanel and dont even run an exhaust fan and on top of that you pair it up with an AMD CPU & GPU, so basically you are running a PC & oven combination. Im not even joking.

Mini ITX is not ment for gaming, yes people build watercooling systems inside of it or really expensively air-cooled Nvidia/Intel hardware, but never AMD as it just runs hotter. Which is not much of an issue in a standard case but in those small form factors, especially w/o an passive airflow, that you lack due to no exhaust fan, this becomes an issue very fast.

So at least invest that 15$ for a exhaust fan, thats really just basic PC knowledge, especially with a fully sealed sidepanel.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

6 hours ago, Cryosec said:

6 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

6 hours ago, belfouf said:

5 hours ago, TorqueS said:

I am using an MSI Gaming 4G(with a custom curve, none of that bullshit 0-fan mode, but fans are set to not go over 50%)...I am barely reaching 60 degrees. It's OCed to 1070MHz, no voltage added.

OP, I think there is something wrong with your card. I mean...99 on an aftermarket cooler. PowerColor makes decent coolers..so it's definitely something wrong.

I checked the specs and I found this:

noiseless.JPG

I think there is something wrong with this setting. Your fans might not spin at all..even if you pass 60 degress.

Get MSI Afterburner and make a custom fan curve(if you need asistance ask here).

Honestly..99 degrees and the fact that it spikes...tells me it's practically passive cooled.

5 hours ago, Nord said:

So I only found 2 review sites that are english for your GPU:

http://techgage.com/article/powercolor-radeon-r9-380-pcs-graphics-card-review/8/

https://www.bjorn3d.com/2015/07/powercolor-pcs-r9-380-4gb-review-axr9-380-4gbd5-ppdhe-affordable-4gb-solution/3/

One site tested it on an open bench and reported 67°C max and the second one inside a case, reporting 77°C max.

Now to your issue of the GPU pretty much hitting 90°C immediately, the cooling solution is simply broken.

Which means that either:

the heatsink is mounted inproperly / became loose.

the heatsink is broken (cracked) somewhere.

the thermal paste is dryed out, or not applied at all. (10months in your case can easily kill cheap thermal paste btw).

or it is just a faulty unit alltogether, in which case the issue can come from the PCB, the chip or from basically everywhere.

BUT even if you would repaste the card and reset the heatsink and the immediat temperature-spike problem goes away there is still the issue of your case is having literally 0 cooling.

You live in a country where even now you will have what, like 30°C ambient? You choose a mini ITX case w/o an open sidepanel and dont even run an exhaust fan and on top of that you pair it up with an AMD CPU & GPU, so basically you are running a PC & oven combination. Im not even joking.

Mini ITX is not ment for gaming, yes people build watercooling systems inside of it or really expensively air-cooled Nvidia/Intel hardware, but never AMD as it just runs hotter. Which is not much of an issue in a standard case but in those small form factors, especially w/o an passive airflow, that you lack due to no exhaust fan, this becomes an issue very fast.

So at least invest that 15$ for a exhaust fan, thats really just basic PC knowledge, especially with a fully sealed sidepanel.

Ok, i loaded up msi afterburner and i reversed the power limit from 120 to 100% but it is still on 99C, it is not as instantaneous as i thought, but still when i just loads up into revelations it goes climbing to 99 extremely fast. are you guys sure that it is a problem with the mount? i never dismantled the card and i really don't want to but i'll do if i have to

Untitled.jpg

Check if the graph looks the same/similar when doing a FurMark stress test (or any other GPU-intensive test you know)

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

The 380 isn't a hot card at all, try dealing with a reference 290x, or a gtx 480. 

Are the fans spinning? 

5 hours ago, Nord said:

The "AMD runs hotter" is a false, Amd cpus and gpus are not "ovens" it comes from the reference 290x, and fx 9590, neither of which the OP has, the athlons don't run hot at all and can be cooled very easily, and the 380 really should never hit above 80C even with default fan curves.

Nvidia Fermi (4xx/5xx series)was nicknamed "Thermi" due to the outrageous amount of heat the cards produced.

An "Oven" situation would be cramming a 150w xeon, and a radeon pro duo, or any other dual gpu card into a mitx form factor, which is possible.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

You are going from 63°C to 99°C+  on 100% fanspeed within maybe a minute and thats while your GPU is allready throtteling its coreclock by, I'd estimate 50 - 200mhz depending on the graph. I'm honestly suprised your PC stays turned on and did not allready shut down due to overheating on the GPU.

So yes, I'm 99% certain its either a problem with the heatsink / paste or the card is just damaged alltogether.

Plus with the 99°C - I'm actually not even sure if afterburner does show temps above 99/100°C, so theoretically it could be even higher.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

1 minute ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

This is definetly something wrong with the card. almost 100°C in such a short time is like running without thermal paste (I saw this happen with cpus without heatsink). You should consider removing the fans and heatsink and check the thermal paste (and maybe change it). 

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

The 380 isn't a hot card at all, try dealing with a reference 290x, or a gtx 480. 

Are the fans spinning? 

The "AMD runs hotter" is a false, Amd cpus and gpus are not "ovens" it comes from the reference 290x, and fx 9590, neither of which the OP has, the athlons don't run hot at all and can be cooled very easily, and the 380 really should never hit above 80C even with default fan curves.

Nvidia Fermi (4xx/5xx series)was nicknamed "Thermi" due to the outrageous amount of heat the cards produced.

An "Oven" situation would be cramming a 150w xeon, and a radeon pro duo, or any other dual gpu card into a mitx form factor, which is possible.

1 minute ago, Nord said:

You are going from 63°C to 99°C+  on 100% fanspeed within maybe a minute and thats while your GPU is allready throtteling its coreclock by, I'd estimate 50 - 200mhz depending on the graph. I'm honestly suprised your PC stays turned on and did not allready shut down due to overheating on the GPU.

So yes, I'm 99% certain its either a problem with the heatsink / paste or the card is just damaged alltogether.

Plus with the 99°C - I'm actually not even sure if afterburner does show temps above 99/100°C, so theoretically it could be even higher.

1 minute ago, Cryosec said:

This is definetly something wrong with the card. almost 100°C in such a short time is like running without thermal paste (I saw this happen with cpus without heatsink). You should consider removing the fans and heatsink and check the thermal paste (and maybe change it). 

I checked the gpu fans, they are running, so i will do the task of checking the heat sink on the weekend (school + AP classes = fml). Thank you all for your input

There is nothing wrong with your card. The stock intake fan of your case is notoriously known to be garbage. Get rid of it and get yourself 2 good 140 mm static pressure fans. Make sure your exhaust fan is an airflow optimized fan and not static pressure optimized.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

48 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Aha, if I ever need heat comparesions between old CPU's I'm sure to remember you as a person to ask :P

However you entirely missed my point, be it as it may that AMD is hotter or not than Intel/Nvidia (not going to be lured into that argument ;)), ultimately the cooling solution you put in place on the chip and the case itself is the most important and deciding factor on how "hot" something gets and OP's case cooling is just awefull.

LTT even has a video on the topic:

Thats a 10°C difference between having no case fans and 1 front / 1 back, so in case of OP adding a exhaust fan should at the very least help 5°C on the GPU temps, which for 10$ is a pretty freaking good value if you ask me.

The case luke used is also pretty much identical to the one OP has, just ATX instead of mATX - and since mATX obviously heats up faster with recycled air than a ATX case due to the size difference, especially if you dont get proper airflow throu it, the improvement by adding proper airflow with case fans should be even more in OP's case than what is depicted on the test luke did.

And that was my point, not that its exactly relevant to his actuall problem, but further down the road it probably will be so "might aswell fix it while you are at it".

11 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

There is nothing wrong with your card. The stock intake fan of your case is notoriously known to be garbage. Get rid of it and get yourself 2 good 140 mm static pressure fans. Make sure your exhaust fan is an airflow optimized fan and not static pressure optimized.

So its normal for a GPU to go 65 to 99°C within less than a minute while at 100% fanspeed & thermal throttel at the sime time by 100mhz~ core because the case fans are garbage?

Not that I disagree on the fact that his case cooling is really bad, but the rest just seems very unplausable explanation to me.