R9 380 at 99C under load

nikolaizombie1
8 minutes ago, Nord said:

So its normal for a GPU to go 65 to 99°C within less than a minute while at 100% fanspeed & thermal throttel at the sime time by 100mhz~ core because the case fans are garbage?

Not that I disagree on the fact that his case cooling is really bad, but the rest just seems very unplausable explanation to me.

Umm, if there is no air going into the case, then yes. That's how bad that fan is.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 hours ago, Nord said:

So its normal for a GPU to go 65 to 99°C within less than a minute while at 100% fanspeed & thermal throttel at the sime time by 100mhz~ core because the case fans are garbage?

Not that I disagree on the fact that his case cooling is really bad, but the rest just seems very unplausable explanation to me.

2 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Umm, if there is no air going into the case, then yes. That's how bad that fan is.

So basically you guys are telling me that i should get new fans, is that correct?

is so any suggestions because i'm not shelling out $90 for 3 noctuas 

36 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

So basically you guys are telling me that i should get new fans, is that correct?

is so any suggestions because i'm not shelling out $90 for 3 noctuas 

Get 2 of these for front intake

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352024&cm_re=fractal_venturi-_-35-352-024-_-Product

Get this for rear exhaust

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835352023

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

23 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

12 hours ago, Cryosec said:

11 hours ago, Lord Nicoll said:

11 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

11 hours ago, belfouf said:

10 hours ago, TorqueS said:

4 hours ago, SLAYR said:

3 hours ago, Nord said:

so i transfered the card into a define s build that has 3 140mm intakes and 1 140mm exhaust and 1 cpu h212 evo with the stock fan, this is what occured after 20 minutes

14672666_1197535750285637_1692954454_o.png

Yes you should get at least one additional fan for the back of your case to exhaust used, hot air from. This will greatly reduce your overall temperatures for the entire system BUT be aware that  there is no amount of fans that you can add that will do anything for your current GPU overheating problem. For that problem you still have to check the heatsink mount & thermal paste on the GPU.

Since you will probably have to pick up thermal paste from somewhere, you might aswell pick up one or two case fans. Your priority should be on adding a fan to the back of your case like explained above and you could also add a second fan to the front of your case, where you allready have one - a second intake so to say. The fan at the back will give you a good thermal improvement, once you get past 2 fans however (one intake & one exhaust) the improvements on temperature become smaller and smaller, so up to you - but the exhaust fan is really a must.

Like honestly having a case front intake & rear exhaust fan is basic system building 1x1, just think wind tunnel. Especially with a sidepanel that does not have intake/exhaust holes that becomes important and even more so with smaller form factor PC-cases.

On what fans you should get I'm definately the wrong guy to ask - all I can advice you on is to make sure they are specifed as "case fan" and are from a reputable brand.

btw there is a somewhat rule of thumb, to check how good/bad your airflow in the case is: you simply remove your left sidepanel from the PC and run benchmarks to see the max temperature it reaches, then you do the same with the panel installed again - if the difference between the two tests is more than 2-3°C, your airflow could be better.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

5 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

so i transfered the card into a define s build that has 3 140mm intakes and 1 140mm exhaust and 1 cpu h212 evo with the stock fan, this is what occured after 20 minutes

Assuming that was from a cold booted system straight into the benchmark, it shows two things:

1.) the GPU is still overheating as you can see. 90% fan and 93°C~ is still nowhere near how it should perform.

2.) it shows you just how bad the airflow in your mini case is, which is why I'm repeatly telling you that :P

I'm gonna add a afterburner screen from my system in a bit on how it should look on a working GPU.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

3 minutes ago, Nord said:

i used to require the side panel to be off when i was on vacation because it would turn off. 

Okay, to do list

1. check thermal paste on card by dismantling it
  2. buy at least 1 exhaust fan, preferably 2 sp fans in the front and 1 airflow one the back

That is all correct?

7 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

i used to require the side panel to be off when i was on vacation because it would turn off. 

Okay, to do list

1. check thermal paste on card by dismantling it
  2. buy at least 1 exhaust fan, preferably 2 sp fans in the front and 1 airflow one the back

That is all correct?

Yup. Besides airflow performs, this card is just behaving odd. Thermal paste is the next thing to check.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Yup. Besides airflow performs, this card is just behaving odd. Thermal paste is the next thing to check.

yeah hitting 94c on a define s with 3 intake fans is insane

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

while fooling around the card i noticed that part of the copper plate is off of the gpu core. food for thought i guess. slightly though

7 minutes ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

while fooling around the card i noticed that part of the copper plate is off of the gpu core. food for thought i guess. slightly though

Yep, thats your problem right there.

Get a screwdriver and make sure that the screws on the back of the card are screwed in properly - but do not overtighten them.

https://www.google.at/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwionZWAjtnPAhVDBBoKHTa2CzwQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftechgage.com%2Farticle%2Fpowercolor-radeon-r9-380-pcs-graphics-card-review%2F&psig=AFQjCNH0iqlxxaQeWd2bel9Oeu7yUB-HOA&ust=1476493741122717

(the 4 screws in the middle, near the Radeon 380 writing are for the heatsink)

if the copper plate makes contact with the core again after you did that you probably fixed your issue - run temp test again.

If it does not you will have to dismantle the entire heatsink and check why there is no complete contact.

edit: added my afterburner logfile to show you how a GPU stresstest looks in a working system.

Did the test with furmark and its from one of the cheapest 970's that you can buy. A zotac with 2 fans, cost me around 320€ almost exactly a year ago, so nothing with fancy cooling or such.

HardwareMonitoring.hml

12 hours ago, nikolaizombie1 said:

my r9 380...when i stress tested it with Black ops 3 the temps where in between 95-99c which by what I've heard is horrible.

lol :D

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

12 minutes ago, Nord said:

Yep, thats your problem right there.

Get a screwdriver and make sure that the screws on the back of the card are screwed in properly - but do not overtighten them.

https://www.google.at/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwionZWAjtnPAhVDBBoKHTa2CzwQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftechgage.com%2Farticle%2Fpowercolor-radeon-r9-380-pcs-graphics-card-review%2F&psig=AFQjCNH0iqlxxaQeWd2bel9Oeu7yUB-HOA&ust=1476493741122717

(the 4 screws in the middle, near the Radeon 380 writing are for the heatsink)

if the copper plate makes contact with the core again after you did that you probably fixed your issue - run temp test again.

If it does not you will have to dismantle the entire heatsink and check why there is no complete contact.

edit: added my afterburner logfile to show you how a GPU stresstest looks in a working system.

Did the test with furmark and its from one of the cheapest 970's that you can buy. A zotac with 2 fans, cost me around 320€ almost exactly a year ago, so nothing with fancy cooling or such.

HardwareMonitoring.hml

I'll do it tomorrow, i'm on carpet right now and I've heard that carpet +  gpu = bad idea

thats definatley the best reason to do something "tomorrow" I have ever read xD