Was buying a Nikon AIS 28mm f/2.8 Series E Lens for my Nikon D700 a good idea?

Hey guys, just today I bought my first somewhat wide angle lens, i've only had 50mm lenses for my Nikon D700 and I was on a budget so I purchased an older Nikon AIS 28mm f/2.8 Series E Lens for 55 dollars which is also really clean. I can't seem to find any video's on this lens so i'm hoping you guys could tell me a little bit about it and some of it's pros and cons. Thank you so much!!

Heres a photo of it!

lens.jpg

Check out my build babes  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wyrr8d

2 hours ago, JimmieJongers said:

Hey guys, just today I bought my first somewhat wide angle lens, i've only had 50mm lenses for my Nikon D700 and I was on a budget so I purchased an older Nikon AIS 28mm f/2.8 Series E Lens for 55 dollars which is also really clean. I can't seem to find any video's on this lens so i'm hoping you guys could tell me a little bit about it and some of it's pros and cons. Thank you so much!!

Heres a photo of it!

lens.jpg

Firstly $55 on that lens might be a good deal, if it's in such a fairly good condition.  Look online for reviews of that lens.  As for the pros and cons, I think many of it will be based on personal use and experience.  For me the con would be that I don't consider 28mm to be wide enough and the pro will be that the lens has a manual aperture ring unlike modern Nikon lenses where the aperture can only be adjusted electronically.  It also has hyperfocal and IR adjustment indicators which many modern lenses lack.  If you're worried about stuff like image softness and CA, use it to take photos as you normally do and see if those issues pop up and whether or not they can be corrected in post easily.  The stuff that sites like DxO mark or other detailed review sites post are based on the putting the lens through vigorous tests using charts and testing tools and most of the issues they find with the lens are in extreme conditions.  Most photographers shoot in average conditions.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I actually have this lens and I use it on my A5000 and it has actually come to be one of my favorites. Its not perfect but its very well built and on my 1.5x crop it makes a pretty decent fov. The bokeh is not round but that is one thing that I like, it gets a bit different and artistic. Sharpness is pretty decent to me but I really don't spend a lot of time thinking of that tbh. The f/2.8 is nice when shooting in the evening or indoors. 

Here is one image I have taken with it for example, for your 55 I think you made a pretty sweet deal. 

DSC04995.jpg

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

14 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I actually have this lens and I use it on my A5000 and it has actually come to be one of my favorites. Its not perfect but its very well built and on my 1.5x crop it makes a pretty decent fov. The bokeh is not round but that is one thing that I like, it gets a bit different and artistic. Sharpness is pretty decent to me but I really don't spend a lot of time thinking of that tbh. The f/2.8 is nice when shooting in the evening or indoors. 

Here is one image I have taken with it for example, for your 55 I think you made a pretty sweet deal. 

DSC04995.jpg

19 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Thanks guys!!!

Check out my build babes  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wyrr8d