Critique my build please

EuphoricLlama

I have a friend who was wanting to buy a pre-built gaming PC, I told him to build it himself as he could save so much money but as he wasn't confident with building himself and didn't know where to start so I said I'd plan and build it for him. His budget is ~£1800 (excluding mouse and keyboard and I have a few spare Corsair SP120s lying around I can add) and this is what I've proposed: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/d4xTm8 (I plan on overclocking the cpu to 4.4ish GHz, hence the h100i)

This is a lot of his money he's trusting me with so please tell me if what I've proposed is any good and suggest any possible improvements. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

For cpu, you might aswell go 6700k with a cheaper cooler like a 212

Id get a 500w psu.

It's going to be a gaming PC and overclocking a 6600k would give better performance than a stock 6700k (due to the lesser cooler).

In regards to the PSU, 500w is not enough to power a 1080 plus an overclocked CPU

3 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

I have a friend who was wanting to buy a pre-built gaming PC, I told him to build it himself as he could save so much money but as he wasn't confident with building himself and didn't know where to start so I said I'd plan and build it for him. His budget is ~£1800 (excluding mouse and keyboard and I have a few spare Corsair SP120s lying around I can add) and this is what I've proposed: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/d4xTm8 (I plan on overclocking the cpu to 4.4ish GHz, hence the h100i)

This is a lot of his money he's trusting me with so please tell me if what I've proposed is any good and suggest any possible improvements. 

The motherboard looks terrible, but other than that, the only thing I'd suggest is either a cheaper CPU cooler or an i7, or both. 

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I would get all blue but thats just me. Does he need an AIO? Other than that looks fine

Just now, Stardar1 said:

The motherboard looks terrible, but other than that, the only thing I'd suggest is either a cheaper CPU cooler or an i7, or both. 

Which motherboard would you suggest for gaming instead? I always struggle to find good motherboards

1 minute ago, EuphoricLlama said:

It's going to be a gaming PC and overclocking a 6600k would give better performance than a stock 6700k (due to the lesser cooler).

In regards to the PSU, 500w is not enough to power a 1080 plus an overclocked CPU

6700k + oc + cheaper mobo + cheaper cooler

gaming on 1080p then get 1070

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I would get all blue but thats just me. Does he need an AIO? Other than that looks fine

Maybe an AIO is a bit overkill, could you suggest a decent heatsink for £50-70?

get a cheaper cooler and motherboard and get the 6700K instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

6700k + oc + cheaper mobo + cheaper cooler

gaming on 1080p then get 1070

Fair enough, the monitor is not fixed, it'll probably be upgraded soon

Which motherboard would you suggest for gaming instead? I always struggle to find good motherboards

GIGABYTE GA Z170X UD3 ULTRA

That's just me.

Maybe an AIO is a bit overkill, could you suggest a decent heatsink for £50-70?

212 is fine like people suggested

Deepcool gammaxx 400

Cryorig h7

3 minutes ago, EuphoricLlama said:

500w is more than enough a 1080 pulls about 180w and a 6700k pulls about 100w. 

Also the 6700k is clocker much higher and you should hit 4.4 with a 212 and more games are going to use the extra threads.

You can look at saving £70 by buying a OS on Kinguin. 

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK