Advice on a new phone

uzarnom

Hi everyone,

So my nexus 4 died a few months back and now in the market for a new one (RIP solid phone)

Things i'm looking for

Price: $600 Australian (max but flexible)
Specs: good enough to run light games (if at all) - i've been hearing good things about the snapdragon 617 (and it seems enough for my needs)
Camera: Decent camera with decent image stabilization (software or hardware, just done well) (would like 1080 60fps but not needed)
Battery life: 2 days use (or a solid single day) probs in the 3000mAh+ range
SD card slot
Size: 5-5.5 Inch (my N4 was 4.7)
Decent support on software (eg HTC seem to support their devices for 3 years (mid to flagship)

What i'm looking at so far

HTC A9
Price: $500 (~$50)

Pros: good camera, good size.
Cons: Battery could be better,

Moto X force.

Price: $600

Pros: Great battery, good size
Cons: Camera could have been done better, slow updates (security patches slow to arrive if at all)

HTC 10

Price: $800 (chepest i've found, kogan might be able to get me a better price though)
Pros: Flagship has everything i want really,
Cons: Price, battery could have been better

Avoiding nexus because i want to try other brands (and i want a decent camera)

Opinions or alternatives?

Thanks everyone :D

1 minute ago, Jed M said:

iPhone 7 or Pixel.

A little high for my price range
iPhone 7 : $989
Pixel (cheapest): $1080

what about a OnePlus 3 if you can get it here.

(I used a freight fowarder to get my OnePlus X)

CPU: intel core i5 6600K Motherboard: gigabyte GA-Z170M gaming 5 RAM: 16Gb corsair vengance LPX 3200 GPU: gigabyte R9-390x  Case: thermaltake v31
Storage: m.2 256 gb samsung 850 evo, m.2 500gb samsung 850 evo,  4tb segate barracuda PSU: thermaltake toughpower 850w gold

Display: ASUS VC239H 23in Widescreen Eyecare LED Gaming Monitor Cooling: Deepcool malestorm 240 Keyboard: Tt eSPORTS POSEIDON Z RGB
Mouse: Cougar 700m Sound: Logitech Z906 THX 5.1 OS: Windows 10  

2 minutes ago, Ramke_99 said:

what about a OnePlus 3 if you can get it here.

(I used a freight fowarder to get my OnePlus X)

I might have to look into those,
i'm just not sure how they are with updates (security is all i want)

updates (security is all i want)

for the phone or the freight forwarder??

CPU: intel core i5 6600K Motherboard: gigabyte GA-Z170M gaming 5 RAM: 16Gb corsair vengance LPX 3200 GPU: gigabyte R9-390x  Case: thermaltake v31
Storage: m.2 256 gb samsung 850 evo, m.2 500gb samsung 850 evo,  4tb segate barracuda PSU: thermaltake toughpower 850w gold

Display: ASUS VC239H 23in Widescreen Eyecare LED Gaming Monitor Cooling: Deepcool malestorm 240 Keyboard: Tt eSPORTS POSEIDON Z RGB

Just now, Ramke_99 said:

for the phone or the freight forwarder??

phone sorry, if freight forwarder worked for you, i'll probs be using it

they have updates come out quite regularly which install smoothly and are rarely intrusive unless you use your phone constantly.

OnePlus also have a great online community and excelent customer service, I've actually used it twice... the second to thank the first customer service personel I was in contact with. They are that good. I wouldn't hesitate to get another OnePlus 

The freight forwarder which I used was Bongo international, who were really good. I was able to get tracking from OnePlus to them and then tracking all the way to Aus with a map showing where it had been scanned into. they also send photos of all the goods recieved to make sure everything is there before shipping.  

1 minute ago, Ramke_99 said:

they have updates come out quite regularly which install smoothly and are rarely intrusive unless you use your phone constantly.

OnePlus also have a great online community and excelent customer service, I've actually used it twice... the second to thank the first customer service personel I was in contact with. They are that good. I wouldn't hesitate to get another OnePlus 

The freight forwarder which I used was Bongo international, who were really good. I was able to get tracking from OnePlus to them and then tracking all the way to Aus with a map showing where it had been scanned into. they also send photos of all the goods recieved to make sure everything is there before shipping.  

Awesome, Thanks for the help,

Its looking like a really nice phone, The updates and support is really good from wheat i've looked-up,
Camera is good enough. i'll probably do a bit more research before i purchase this one, but looking great so far

Thanks again

i'll probably do a bit more research before i purchase this one, but looking great so far

I'm pretty sure it ticks all of your boxes quite well asside from not having an SD card, but it makes up for that with internal storage

1 minute ago, Mi26 said:

Galaxy Note 7 XD....

hmmm if i can get a good price, i'd run the risk

22 minutes ago, Ramke_99 said:

I'm pretty sure it ticks all of your boxes quite well asside from not having an SD card, but it makes up for that with internal storage

Yeah looking at it, its the best phone.
I'll be contacting Bongo international to check for rates.

The AXON 7 will soon be available in Australia.
Due to high global demand and specific requirements for the Australian market, the planned release date is now the end of October. We continue to develop the device to ensure it is the best possible local model, so keep an eye on updates throughout October.
Presales will commence on Monday 17th October via our website. Stock at launch will be limited so be sure to act fast.
The AXON 7 will be initially available in our 'Ion Gold' colour variant for $699.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2534736

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

17 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

The AXON 7 will soon be available in Australia.
Due to high global demand and specific requirements for the Australian market, the planned release date is now the end of October. We continue to develop the device to ensure it is the best possible local model, so keep an eye on updates throughout October.
Presales will commence on Monday 17th October via our website. Stock at launch will be limited so be sure to act fast.
The AXON 7 will be initially available in our 'Ion Gold' colour variant for $699.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2534736

Sweet, this is looking good for the price.
from initial findings though i'm not sure if i like what they are doing on the software side.
Australian availability will be awesome.

There are some quirks about the software for sure. Some people seem to think that Nougat will fix all that. I also have a few ergonomic complaints but they apply to SO many Android phones these days they're all much of a muchness. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

5 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

There are some quirks about the software for sure. Some people seem to think that Nougat will fix all that. I also have a few ergonomic complaints but they apply to SO many Android phones these days they're all much of a muchness. 

Cheers for that,
This one definitely makes its to the list :D.
There are 2 more from HTC coming in October so i may hold off for this and reviews on those new ones as well