4pin to DC plug (3-6mm etc)

MatsNorway

Does anyone know if you can buy a plug that fits on the PSU and has 6mm or somethin in the other end?2-1mm-DC-PLUG-Female-TO-1-0MM-0-6MM-3-0M

You see.. i want to put my router inside my PC... because i can.. and that would free up some 240V outlets

It probably would increase efficiency too.. depending on PSU. so thats nice.. but i do it mainly for tiding up stuff.

Any alternatives to the Molex? i have no molex contact on my PSU. I have a 4pin to molex cable but its messy. We do not like messy do we.

5 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Make one from a molex extension would be the easiest. Also you're ok with your router turning off with your pc?

Did not think of that. Does the PSU really turn of too?

Well, first you have to make sure your router is either 5 or 12 volts (any other voltage will require conversion circuitry)

After that, a quick note: do NOT hook up your router to +5Vsb, most (if not any) power supplies i've checked do not have sufficient power on this rail to keep a router happy. So in other words, your router will turn off when your pc does.

I offcourse also dont need to point at other downsides like your case being basicly a farraday cage for wireless signals and difficulty to reach the ports on the device.

5 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

sata power extension would work too. and yes the psu turns off as in no power, some boards leave 5v for some stuff though

EDIT: oh and yea faraday cage as above, say goodbye to wifi

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

the DC plugs (typically called barrel jack ) have an outer diameter (OD) and an inner diameter (ID) . The most common ones are 2.1mm or 2.5 mm ID and 5mm or 5.5 mm OD.

If you're in US, Digikey or Newark are just two distributors or electronic components that have loads of such connectors. you can filter by inner and/or outer diameters, by straight or 90 degree angle connectors, by male or female type etc

Newark :  http://www.newark.com/dc-power-connectors-barrel-plugs-jacks

Digikey : http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects/barrel-power-connectors/1443096

I guess you could make yourself a molex / sata to barrel jack connector just by buying an adapter cable/ extension and soldering the cables to the barrel jack connector. just make sure your router works with 5v or 12v.

Also be careful that since the computer case is basically a faraday cage, it wouldn't be smart to have a wireless router INSIDE the case unless the antennas are removable, the wireless signal would be seriously attenuated otherwise.

4 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

In theory, anything on the psu except for +5Vsb is supposed to turn off, and +5Vsb can only deliver around 10-15 watts in most cases, most of which is probably already being used in your pc.

If you want to save outlets, a power strip and good cable management will probably do you better than what you're trying to do.

I have this powerstrip. It is "Bolted" to the underside of the table. I used to do this with the router too. But its still a messy thing.

I have a Corsair RM1000i

12V needed for the Router.

By you guys info it sounds like i need to scrap the plan.. hmm. The router is strong tho.. i get signal one floor down in the elevator shaft. several Concrete walls inbetween.

My place is only 45 square meters.