Is an SSD worth it?

I'm planning a build and trying to cut costs. Is getting rid of an SSD going to make a large impact on the PC?

Yes. If you're going to spend more than 500 bucks on a computer don't skip the ssd.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depends on where you store the bulk of your programs and how fast you want the OS to load. If you do a lot on the main OS disk and store the programs you need to quickly access there and those programs need speed then it will make a good impact. If you don't care about OS load times then it might not make as big of an impact.

Edit: Can you link your build and give us your max budget?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

its worth keeping an ssd if you can as it will make the pc more responsive and have lower boot times, but its not 100% essential. if you really have to, you can use a hdd now, then when you have the money for it, get an ssd.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X聽Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black聽GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual聽RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz聽mobo: Asus X570-P聽case: Fractal Design Define C聽PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

If you have a good enough CPU, GPU, and power supply, then add an SSD if budget allows, but don't scrimp on the other parts to get an SSD.

For example, don't downgrade an i5 to an i3 in order to get an SSD. The SSD will make everything "snappier" and reduce loading times, but it won't help your in-game performance.

On the other hand, you may be happier to get a 256Gig SSD rather than a 2TB HDD. :)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

29 minutes ago, darkninja8888 said:

I'm planning a build and trying to cut costs. Is getting rid of an SSD going to make a large impact on the PC?

I personally don't really care about having an SSD in a desktop, rather have another 2TB drive if I'm going to drop that much on storage

What's the build and budget anyways?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

If you want a comobo of speed and size, use a small 128 gb SSD and a 2TB HDD together. Ex. put your OS on the SSD, and all your files on the HDD

10 minutes ago, Anbar48 said:

If you want a comobo of speed and size, use a small 128 gb SSD and a 2TB HDD together. Ex. put your OS on the SSD, and all your files on the HDD

240gbs is about the minimum at this point

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I personally don't really care about having an SSD in a desktop, rather have another 2TB drive if I'm going to drop that much on storage

Yes, but, are you actually going to use "another 2TB" of drive space. There's no need for more storage space if you aren't going to use it. And, wouldn't you rather drive a sports car (SSD) than an 18-wheeler (2TB HDD)? :)

I was planning to upgrade my SSD storage, so that more games and apps were on an SSD, but I was surprised to find that I was only using about 300Gig across my 2 drives - a 120Gig SSD and a 500Gig HDD. So what I ended up doing was to just replace the HDD with 500Gig SSD. :)

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

2 minutes ago, Quaker said:

I've switch off from SSDs a bunch, they've all been budget SSDs, but I imagine that's what most people buy, it does save time of course, but I'm fine with just my current WD black 1TB drive

Far as using the space, of course, It gives me a lot more room for a movie archive, though I don't need that atm.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Far as using the space, of course, It gives me a lot more room for a movie archive, though I don't need that atm.

Lol! So, it would only make sense to add another 2TB drive for a larger movie archive. :)

I've seen postings from a couple of people now, who seem to have been turned off of SSDs because they were early adopters and had problems. But SSDs are mature now and even budget SSDs don't fail any more often than HDDs or other components. Luckily for me, I resisted getting an SSD until earlier this year (due to cost). I'd never go back to using HDDs unless I had to. Even if my current system required more drive space, I'd just add another 500Gig SSD.

For a movie archive, I use Netflix. :)

7 minutes ago, Quaker said:

Lol! So, it would only make sense to add another 2TB drive for a larger movie archive. :)

I've seen postings from a couple of people now, who seem to have been turned off of SSDs because they were early adopters and had problems. But SSDs are mature now and even budget SSDs don't fail any more often than HDDs or other components. Luckily for me, I resisted getting an SSD until earlier this year (due to cost). I'd never go back to using HDDs unless I had to. Even if my current system required more drive space, I'd just add another 500Gig SSD.

For a movie archive, I use Netflix. :)

Netflix is severely lacking, especially in the anime department

I've used multiple modern SSDs, they're fine, I just don't care about my load times, main place it'd be useful is for dota 2 load times, but whatever, soon as 500GB SSDs are $60 I'll probably pick one up

Spoiler