Case fans speeding up and down

Gleran

Hi,

I have recently come to notice a problem with my chassis / case fan/s.

I realised that my fans are speeding up and slowing down randomly over a short period of time (say 20 - 30 seconds)

These fans are not connected to the motherboard therefore their speeds are not directly tied to the current temperature or anything.

I am able to adjust the the fan speeds via my case controller.

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks,

Glen 

4 minutes ago, Gleran said:

Hi,

I have recently come to notice a problem with my chassis / case fan/s.

I realised that my fans are speeding up and slowing down randomly over a short period of time (say 20 - 30 seconds)

These fans are not connected to the motherboard therefore their speeds are not directly tied to the current temperature or anything.

I am able to adjust the the fan speeds via my case controller.

Can anyone help please ?

Thanks,

Glen 

What electrical source is your fan controller connected to?

11 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

What electrical source is your fan controller connected to?

The fan controller is powered directly from the PSU (Peripheral Cable from EVGA).

7 minutes ago, Gleran said:

The fan controller is powered directly from the PSU (Peripheral Cable from EVGA).

Sounds like a faulty fan controller maybe even a faulty psu rail?

12 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

Sounds like a faulty fan controller maybe even a faulty psu rail?

Hmm could be.. I am not quite content with my PSU as I have been having weird issues with it as you can see in my other posts (my previous PSU didn't use to do that). My bet would be that it's something from the PSU, is there any way to identify a faulty PSU rail ?

1 hour ago, Gleran said:

Hmm could be.. I am not quite content with my PSU as I have been having weird issues with it as you can see in my other posts (my previous PSU didn't use to do that). My bet would be that it's something from the PSU, is there any way to identify a faulty PSU rail ?

The only way would be to use a volt meter on the + and - and watch if there is a variation in the output voltage... What PSU are you using, how many watts? How old is it? what are your system specs? (Cpu, GPU, etc...)

17 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

The only way would be to use a volt meter on the + and - and watch if there is a variation in the output voltage... What PSU are you using, how many watts? How old is it? what are your system specs? (Cpu, GPU, etc...)

Hi before you continue to read I would like to thank you for all your replies and patience. 

I see OK I will try do that and monitor for any voltage variation. My PSU is an EVGA Supernova G2 850 watts and

it's still only a couple of months old.

Currently I am not running any GPU. My Cpu is an i5 6600k paired with an asus Z170 motherboard.

Just now, Gleran said:

Hi before you continue to read I would like to thank you for all your replies and patience. 

I see OK I will try do that and monitor for any voltage variation. My PSU is an EVGA Supernova G2 850 watts and

it's still only a couple of months old.

Currently I am not running any GPU. My Cpu is an i5 6600k paired with an asus Z170 motherboard.

The G2 is a great PSU, I'd have personally bought one, but I only run a single GPU and I'm currently using a Corsair RM 550 X which is more than plenty. What you have sounds overkill unless you plan to be adding GPU's in sli to your rig. I'd assume there is something probably wrong with your fan controller but first to be sure, try testing the output voltage and see if it is consistent. This will narrow down the problem.

3 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

The G2 is a great PSU, I'd have personally bought one, but I only run a single GPU and I'm currently using a Corsair RM 550 X which is more than plenty. What you have sounds overkill unless you plan to be adding GPU's in sli to your rig. I'd assume there is something probably wrong with your fan controller but first to be sure, try testing the output voltage and see if it is consistent. This will narrow down the problem.

Yeah I have heard great things about this PSU. I know it is overkill and I only plan to add a single GPU in the near future but this was the only reputable modular PSU available locally. Thanks for your reply I will try testing this week. If the voltage seems consistent I will look into replacing my fan controller as it is quite annoying. 

Thanks a lot !