Best Low-Mid Range Mirrorless Cameras?

iovey
1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I don't have any camera that records 8-bit 4K, mine natively records 4:2:2 10-bit already so can't tell you whether they improve dynamic range or contrast.  Frankly I doubt dynamic range would be improved and I usually record using LOG profiles so contrast is not a concern since I adjust it in post production.

Sony wireless lavs, along with Sennheiser and Lectrosonics' systems are amongst the most popular systems.  But that Sony interface can become noisy with certain features enabled in the camera.  I guess it's due to some sort of interference.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Wireless features interfere with it, but I'm fine turning those off.

Sony also has this, which seems to be pretty decent as long as it doesn't have interference, and also has an audio input so at the very least I can use a wired mic with it.

6 minutes ago, iovey said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the Wireless features interfere with it, but I'm fine turning those off.

Sony also has this, which seems to be pretty decent as long as it doesn't have interference, and also has an audio input so at the very least I can use a wired mic with it.

The Sony XLR multi interface hotshoe adapter has no issues with wireless lav systems.  The interference occurs with the audio signal sent along the MI connection to the camera.

If you choose the camera based on the need for video, what kind of audio system do you want?  How much are you willing to spend?  There's no single system that works for every situation or environment.  Shotguns are probably going to be your first choice with some sort of lav mic as a secondary option.  You can get something like a Rode VideoMic (various models), or something like a NTG on a shock mount and connected to a Zoom H5, or a Rode SmartLav connected to a smart phone, to things like the Sennheiser MKH 416 and EW lav systems.

Other types of mics you can also consider are handheld dynamic mics, wall/table/floor placed boundary mics, large diaphragm condenser mics, and even use a multi mic setup.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

47 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The Sony XLR multi interface hotshoe adapter has no issues with wireless lav systems.  The interference occurs with the audio signal sent along the MI connection to the camera.

If you choose the camera based on the need for video, what kind of audio system do you want?  How much are you willing to spend?  There's no single system that works for every situation or environment.  Shotguns are probably going to be your first choice with some sort of lav mic as a secondary option.  You can get something like a Rode VideoMic (various models), or something like a NTG on a shock mount and connected to a Zoom H5, or a Rode SmartLav connected to a smart phone, to things like the Sennheiser MKH 416 and EW lav systems.

Other types of mics you can also consider are handheld dynamic mics, wall/table/floor placed boundary mics, large diaphragm condenser mics, and even use a multi mic setup.

I meant the cameras wireless stuff, the GPS and the WiFi (from what i've heard) cause interference for the wireless multi-interface mics.

As far as audio, I'm probably going to start with recording to phones, and then eventually upgrade to a Zoom recorder. We have some mics that we've been using for recording music that we can use until we get lavs/shotguns. (Likely Rode SmartLavs')

I can tell you, those SmartLavs are fantastic.  I have a few of them now, too bad Apple has decided to remove the audio jack port on the new iPhone 7.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

The Pentax K-01 obviously! 

Love mine, you can get one for about 180 used. Takes full size K-Mount lenses.

But I mean if you want a more video capable camera and aren't just looking for stellar stills then I'd probably go with the Panasonic. The problem with the A6000 is a lack of mic input jack, which is a real bummer because the rest of the camera is really good. Panasonics are really good for stills too so don't think you're missing out, their lenses are just a bit limited (and pricey).

But I guess those low flange distance mirrorless cameras can adapt anything so it's w/e.