Fractal Design node 202 cooling

Crypt1c

So I don't know how I should do this. I see some build using 2 120mm fans for the gpu, but that means removing the case's gpu supporter to which I'm not too comfortable doing.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_Eraep6gw Look at 4:37) I've even seen a build who managed to put a 140mm fan above the cpu cooler. How should I configure the case fans? Also, would the type of gpu I choose change anything in terms of how the fans should be set? I was going to go with a blower style gpu originally, however I would prefer to use an open aired one for the higher clock speed but I'm afraid about the temperature in such a small case. I'm also afraid of dust problems will be a problem if I don't set this right. Thanks in advance.

just get a blower cooler. in a sff case like this, you end up with better temps and clock speeds since open air coolers wont get much airflow. case fans arent really possible since theres only 60mm total clearance. 15mm fans dont move much air, and very few gpus are less than 35mm thick

http://support.fractal-design.com/support/solutions/articles/4000055657-node-202-graphics-card-limitations-and-fan-possibilities

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

I am done listening to people recommend blower style coolers in cases like the Node 202 and the RVZ01 from Silverstone. Those cases provide even better airflow for open air designs than a standard tower case.

Have you ever even looked at a GPU cooler? If you choose the right cooler (one with vertical fins instead of horizontal ones), it will intake air directly from outside the case and most of the exhaust will go straight out of the top of the case.

If you look at a full tower case, you will find that the GPU has to intake air provided by your front intake and exhaust it into your side panel, and unless there is good airflow through your case, heat will get stuck there.

Of course, a GPU cooler with horizontal fins will only have some exhaust out of the back and barely any out of the front. I honestly don't understand manufacturers that put more than 1 fan on a cooler like this. The worst example of all is the Strix 3 fan cooler on the 390 and the 980 Ti. It's ridiculously long for how bad the temps can get (compared to a vertical fin design like the Windforce 3X). Why do you think every single aftermarket GPU cooler has vertical fins?

In my personal rig in the RVZ01, I always look for GPU coolers with vertical fins. I then replace the whole fan assembly with two 120mm case fans, regulated by Speedfan.

I understand that this is not for everyone. Speedfan is a pain to set up sometimes, your GPU might overheat due to a software glitch and you might loose warranty on some cards just for taking the cooler off to take the plastic and fans off of the heatsink.

Also, unless your card is very heavy and long, I wouldn't worry about the support bracket. Silverstone's implementation is utterly useless and to be honest, you don't need it at all if you use the case in the vertical position.

In the video, the issue seems to be a lot worse than in a normal case, but it looks like the creator has not yet screwed in the screws holding the GPU in at the back of the case. Once you put those in, it becomes only as bad as the usual GPU sag we've come to expect from any other case.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II