Comcast Data Cap is Back

johnny5c

Received the following email today,

Information about a New Terabyte
Internet Data Usage Plan
sp.png
We’re writing to let you know that we will be activating a new XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan in your area. Effective November 1, 2016, your XFINITY Internet service will include one terabyte (that’s 1,024 GB) of data usage per month. With a terabyte of data you can stream between 600 and 700 hours of HD video, play more than 12,000 hours of online games, or download 60,000 high-res photos in a month.

With 4K Netflix, remote Plex streaming, remote work CCTV feed, and Steam we use more than that, the email said our average data usage was 1.4TB and even gave some "helpful tips" like watching SD videos instead of HD and to make sure my router is secure.   For every 50GB over 1TB it's $10 with a $200 limit, wish I could just pay a little extra for a unlimited plan.  I guess it's a lot better than the old 250GB cap in the past but still a little angry that I'm going to have to start watching our usage again and just needed to vent. 

What is it with the US and datacaps i live in europe/Netherlands and no one has a datacap (Luckly cause i play a lot of games and stream a lot of data :D)

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

Data caps are so stupid. What happens if you get a new drive or something, thats like 25%-50% of your data cap in a day, then your restricted the next of the month. Its like technology is advancing backwards for them in the pursuit of money. Such a hindrance to advancement of the internet and communication, its disgraceful.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

18 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Data are so stupid. What happens if you get a new drive or something, thats like 25%-50% of your data cap in a day, then your restricted the next of the month. Its like technology is advancing backwards for them in the pursuit of money. Such a hindrance to advancement of the internet and communication, its disgraceful.

Downloading maybe a third of my Steam library every month would put me over the cap alone, plus my wife and son have their own Steam accounts.   I just read a article about the cap and it said they'll have a unlimited option for a extra $50 a month but we're paying almost $200 a month already.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/6/13192832/comcast-xfinity-home-internet-data-caps-one-terabyte

1 hour ago, johnny5c said:

Downloading maybe a third of my Steam library every month would put me over the cap alone, plus my wife and son have their own Steam accounts.   I just read a article about the cap and it said they'll have a unlimited option for a extra $50 a month but we're paying almost $200 a month already.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/6/13192832/comcast-xfinity-home-internet-data-caps-one-terabyte

Its ok. November 1st Michigan gets hit by them. Im going to write to my representatives in the Michigan House and Senate. Im going to file a complaint with the FCC and FTC as well as contact my Congressman and my Senators. All under the premises that the meter they use may not be correct. I want my government to be involved with making sure these meters are correct. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its ok. November 1st Michigan gets hit by them. Im going to write to my representatives in the Michigan House and Senate. Im going to file a complaint with the FCC and FTC as well as contact my Congressman and my Senators. All under the premises that the meter they use may not be correct. I want my government to be involved with making sure these meters are correct. 

Now that they're charging for extra data it really does need to be regulated, look on any gas pump and there's a inspection sticker from the state guaranteeing that the meter is accurate and I feel this should be handled the same way.  I know for a fact that years ago Comcast's usage meter was way off and always read high but it was different then because if you went over the 250GB cap the worst that would happen is you got a email basically saying you were a bandwidth hog and you needed to lower your use.  Now with my families current average usage I'm looking at a extra $80 a month unless I go with the $50 unlimited crap.

2 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Now that they're charging for extra data it really does need to be regulated, look on any gas pump and there's a inspection sticker from the state guaranteeing that the meter is accurate and I feel this should be handled the same way.  I know for a fact that years ago Comcast's usage meter was way off and always read high but it was different then because if you went over the 250GB cap the worst that would happen is you got a email basically saying you were a bandwidth hog and you needed to lower your use.  Now with my families current average usage I'm looking at a extra $80 a month unless I go with the $50 unlimited crap.

They make us pay $50 extra you better fucking believe my usage would go up by 3X minimum. Just to be a dick. I will download Linux Distros and seed them on bit torrent. When they bitch, Ill say, I got unlimited. Then when they pull the you use too much shit, Ill sue there ass. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They make us pay $50 extra you better fucking believe my usage would go up by 3X minimum. Just to be a dick. I will download Linux Distros and seed them on bit torrent. When they bitch, Ill say, I got unlimited. Then when they pull the you use too much shit, Ill sue there ass. 

I'm probably going to use 3X the bandwidth this month just preparing for the cap.  The three of us only have SSDs in our desktops with a NAS for media and backups, going to get a few WD Black drives this weekend so we can install the majority of our Steam libraries before the cap goes into effect.