Problems with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

So i just upgraded to an 8350 and when upgrading i got a gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard. 

It was probably a very stupid descision and even though every forum post told me to go against this board, especially for the 8350, I just couldn't resist the black and grey color scheme.

Anyway, the motherboard is fine so far, but there is this weird thing that is happening to my computer.

The computer will run perfectly fine, once i power down the computer and try to turn it on again, The fans have power and the lights flash for literally half of a second, before everything shuts off. Then about 5 seconds after that, all my fans and lights power back up, but only for  about 5-10 seconds before everything loses power again. 

The way that i fix this, and what i have to do every single time i turn on my dang computer is unplug the power cord, and then re plug it in. Once i do that it boots just fine. But every time i turn off my computer i need to do the same thing.

Watch it flash for half a second, and then unplug and replug the power cord.

I don't believe this is the PSU's fault, I have an 750w Evga Supernova 80+ gold psu. But this problem only started to happen once i put in the 8350 with this mobo.

Should i return the mobo and get a better one?

What do you guys think that the problem is? 

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

Have you tried it with another CPU? What revision of the board did you get? You may have to update the BIOS. If you don't mind waiting, you could always give the RMA a shot. If that doesn't turn out, then it'd be time for a new board.

The 990FXA UD5 and UD7 are both black/grey, but with different colour stripes. 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Have you tried it with another CPU? What revision of the board did you get? You may have to update the BIOS. If you don't mind waiting, you could always give the RMA a shot. If that doesn't turn out, then it'd be time for a new board.

The 990FXA UD5 and UD7 are both black/grey, but with different colour stripes. 

Yeah i'll see if there is a udate for the bios. I haven't tried it with any other cpu.

Do you think i should return this and get something like a ud5 or a ud7?

This thing has some crazy V-droop when at load, up to half a volt. Even with llc on low

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

IIRC the 990FXA needed a bios update when bulldozer came out... then again I'm on the rev 1.1 version of this board so they may have changed it. Try what you can with this board first before looking at other options. I'm personally looking at the ASUS Crosshair line, if that's anything. People say good things about the TUF series as well (I've had experience working on both Gigabyte and ASUS). But at that price range, you can definitely consider the higher end UD boards.

(there aren't many 990 chipset boards in Canada so...)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

try the psu in a diferent pc if its fine and you realy dont like this mobo then return it and ask if you can have your money back

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

my girlfriend has the same setup and so far no issues  great setup oc to 4.5ghz

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

Are you overclocking ?

CPUi7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz l Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero l Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper l RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600Mhz l PSUSeasonic X-Series 1050 l StorageOCZ vortex 4 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Black l Case: Corsair Air 540

Are you overclocking ?

Yeah, using 1.5 volts on a 4.5 ghz overclock

The problem occurs when the cpu multiplier is set manually and the "Core Performance Boost" is disabled.

If the multiplier is set manually and the "Core Performance Boost" is enabled, the system boots normally.

If the multiplier is set to "auto" and the "Core Performance Boost" is disabled, the system boots normally.

CPUi7 4770k @ 4.2Ghz l Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero l Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Classified Hydro Copper l RAMG.SKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600Mhz l PSUSeasonic X-Series 1050 l StorageOCZ vortex 4 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Black l Case: Corsair Air 540

The problem occurs when the cpu multiplier is set manually and the "Core Performance Boost" is disabled.
If the multiplier is set manually and the "Core Performance Boost" is enabled, the system boots normally.
If the multiplier is set to "auto" and the "Core Performance Boost" is disabled, the system boots normally.

Really? I'll take a look at that right now.

• 2 months later...

I just got the same setup yesterday. That's sounds similar to what happened to me on my first boot, but the problem seems to have resolved itself.

AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H80i | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3  | 2x EVGA 760 4GB SC ACX | Corsair 750D | SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB | Corsair CX750M