2k monitor same price as 4k monitor?

Kevin11

So right now I'm using 2 27" asus mx279H monitors and I want to upgrade soon to a 3 monitor display. I have 2 questions. First question is why is an asus 4K monitor with 1ms latency and 28" the same price as a MX279AQ 27" 2k with 5ms? Second question is would it be better to buy the UHD 28" instead of the MX279AQ that matches the design of my 2 current monitors if the prices are the same?

Just now, Kevin11 said:

So right now I'm using 2 27" asus mx279H monitors and I want to upgrade soon to a 3 monitor display. I have 2 questions. First question is why is an asus 4K monitor with 1ms latency and 28" the same price as a MX279AQ 27" 2k with 5ms? Second question is would it be better to buy the UHD 28" instead of the MX279AQ that matches the design of my 2 current monitors if the prices are the same?

Response time isn't a measure of latency, it measures pixel transition time, which affects motion blur.

The MX279AQ (a 2.5K monitor, not 2K; 2K refers to 1080p or similar resolutions) uses an IPS panel whereas the 28" 4K monitor uses a TN panel. IPS panels are generally considered to have higher image quality.

8 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Response time isn't a measure of latency, it measures pixel transition time, which affects motion blur.

The MX279AQ (a 2.5K monitor, not 2K; 2K refers to 1080p or similar resolutions) uses an IPS panel whereas the 28" 4K monitor uses a TN panel. IPS panels are generally considered to have higher image quality.

so if I want the upgrade to improve my video watching experience, not concerned with games, which would be the better buy?

IPS for good color reproduction. 4k for sharper images. You pick which is better for watching videos.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

14 hours ago, Pankaic said:

IPS for good color reproduction. 4k for sharper images. You pick which is better for watching videos.

i dont know ::( which would you choose?

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

I agree with all this. Price point comparison is most likely due to TN Vs IPS panel. TN are the more common gamer panels due to supporting a higher refresh speed for cheaper. IPS panels are used more for editing purposes due to better color and pixels, which isn't to say they aren't good gaming monitors. Also check the native resolution. Lots say 4K but aren't 3820 native resolution.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/