Windows 7 checking for updates taking forever

Dhx

So today i did a fresh new install of windows 7 and when going to update checking for updates are taking way to long. I did this in the past and checking for updates never took so long!. Is anyone else experiencing this and is there is fix or do i have to download the updates manual.

Upgrade to Windows 10 home there shouldn't be a problem just hold of on the anniversary update anthill some of the bugs are sorted.   

its windows 7 sp1 and before it never took this long it has been a day now in the past ive done this in less than 4 hours

15 minutes ago, Dhx said:

So today i did a fresh new install of windows 7 and when going to update checking for updates are taking way to long. I did this in the past and checking for updates never took so long!. Is anyone else experiencing this and is there is fix or do i have to download the updates manual.

I've had it take over a full day on a laptop I fresh installed on some time earlier this year.

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats normal. Its takes about 1-2 days.

Didn't realize it was actually a widespread thing

1 minute ago, Trevor87 said:

Upgrade to Windows 10 home there shouldn't be a problem just hold of on the anniversary update anthill some of the bugs are sorted.   

Not sure that's the best recommendation right now with how some users are responding to Win10

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

1 minute ago, Dhx said:

its windows 7 sp1 and before it never took this long it has been a day now in the past ive done this in less than 4 hours

Ever since 10 came out 7 has been really slow on the updates for new installs especially... 

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

Ever since 10 came out 7 has been really slow on the updates for new installs especially... 

Could be due to reallocating server resources for updates for newer OS's?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Some might even say MS are doing this to persuade more to Win10...

Anyway, I had this problem too. Now I use wsusoffline (linked below). Used in two parts. First it creates a local copy of updates. Then the client part applies it to machine. If you have multiple systems, stick the whole thing on a USB drive and you can move it around to do others, or network it. I find once you have caught up with updates, the Windows built in one runs relatively quickly once again and may find extra optional stuff not included.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

Could be due to reallocating server resources for updates for newer OS's?

Most likely, but I don't know why MS would be so aggravating. 7 is still such a big chunk of the installed windows being used.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

10 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

Most likely, but I don't know why MS would be so aggravating. 7 is still such a big chunk of the installed windows being used.

Well, when I had the issue (which I thought was an isolated incident at the time) it was only the first chunk of updates that took over a day. The various smaller checks/downloads moved at what seemed to be regular speed. Maybe they purposefully aren't hindering all Win7 users but just the ones that fresh install (which could likely use up more resources as the updates for fresh installs can be massive depending on the build being installed)

In my LTT blog, I have some resources for people who are experiencing trouble getting the Windows 7 updated after a clean installation:

porina's advice to use WSUS to update Windows 7 is a good one.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987