moving os to m.2?

WokeUp

Hey guys I currently have my os windows 10 on a 128gb ssd and I want to buy this soon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HRYEKFC/ref=twister_B017H2DL5E?th=1 the 480gb one m.2 but some people told me you cant put the os on an m.2.. my motherboard is an msi x99s sli krait edtion do you think I can move my os on there?

RIG: CPU: i7-5930K 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI Superclocked 6GB RAM: 16GB DDR4 Motherboard: Msi X99S SLI Krait Edition Storage: 128GB SSD 2TB HDD

Just clone it with Macrium. Who said you can't put os on a drive?

1 minute ago, MartinWake said:

Hey guys I currently have my os windows 10 on a 128gb ssd and I want to buy this soon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HRYEKFC/ref=twister_B017H2DL5E?th=1 the 480gb one m.2 but some people told me you cant put the os on an m.2.. my motherboard is an msi x99s sli krait edtion do you think I can move my os on there?

I'm typing right now from a computer booting and running windows from an M.2 SSd ;) 

you can put your OS on a M.2 but i would not buy that M.2 drive. . . its like 10mb better than normal SSD's i would go with the samsung 950/960 pro

as there speeds are 5x faster

4 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

You sometimes need to go into the BIOS and make an adjustment or two to make sure your m.2 is enabled/running in the correct mode... but you can definitely install an OS to them.

Fair warning that drive you chose is no faster than any normal SATA SSD. if you want extra speeds you're going to need a proper NVMe drive. for your budget I would recommend the 512GB intel 600P drive. there ARE better NVMe drives on the market, but I don't know that you have the budget for them.

8 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You sometimes need to go into the BIOS and make an adjustment or two to make sure your m.2 is enabled/running in the correct mode... but you can definitely install an OS to them.

Fair warning that drive you chose is no faster than any normal SATA SSD. if you want extra speeds you're going to need a proper NVMe drive. for your budget I would recommend the 512GB intel 600P drive. there ARE better NVMe drives on the market, but I don't know that you have the budget for them.

11 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

you can put your OS on a M.2 but i would not buy that M.2 drive. . . its like 10mb better than normal SSD's i would go with the samsung 950/960 pro

for the same price as the 480gb one? 

RIG: CPU: i7-5930K 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI Superclocked 6GB RAM: 16GB DDR4 Motherboard: Msi X99S SLI Krait Edition Storage: 128GB SSD 2TB HDD

10 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

12 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

The ssd I have now is a sand disk and it boots up in 5 secs I want it to be a bit faster then this ssd but I prefer space over a little bit of speed a samsung one is 180$ with only 200gb 

2 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

no but you can get a refurb but its 256gb IMHO you wont need much capacity,

windows 10 with a bunch of programs uses 50Gb, even less if you manage your files like redirecting your user files to your old ssd

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-PRO-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01LCHCTJE/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475611014&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+pro+950+m2+ssd

14 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

You could have literally looked this up in the time it would have taken you to type this. now I have to go look it up for you and report back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSJA65C/?tag=pcpapi-20

There is the 512GB version. its a bit more expensive (only 40 bucks more) but it has more capacity, and much more performance ( ~3x faster when it come to sequential reads and ~50% faster in random IOPS, about the same speed in sequential writes though)

13 minutes ago, TiberiusMoon said:

no but you can get a refurb but its 256gb IMHO you wont need much capacity,

windows 10 with a bunch of programs uses 50Gb, even less if you manage your files like redirecting your user files to your old ssd

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-950-PRO-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01LCHCTJE/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475611014&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+pro+950+m2+ssd

does not say the read/write speed and some applications dont let you install it anywhere else unless its the drive where the os is on 

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You could have literally looked this up in the time it would have taken you to type this. now I have to go look it up for you and report back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSJA65C/?tag=pcpapi-20

There is the 512GB version. its a bit more expensive (only 40 bucks more) but it has more capacity, and much more performance ( ~3x faster when it come to sequential reads and ~50% faster in random IOPS, about the same speed in sequential writes though)

its a faster but 40$ more

If you already have a quick sata ssd, there's little incentive right now to go to m.2 for both speed and capacity in mind. Imo, most current m.2 drives makes sense for speed only with reasonable prices. If you want to go from sata ssd to m.2, do it for speed (which in itself won't actually make a drastic difference) or don't at all. Besides, you'll still have your other drives' capacity on hand and would just be utilizing a port on your mobo that otherwise stays unused.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

15 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

If you already have a quick sata ssd, there's little incentive right now to go to m.2 for both speed and capacity in mind. Imo, most current m.2 drives makes sense for speed only with reasonable prices. If you want to go from sata ssd to m.2, do it for speed (which in itself won't actually make a drastic difference) or don't at all. Besides, you'll still have your other drives' capacity on hand and would just be utilizing a port on your mobo that otherwise stays unused.

I just dont want to install an ssd I have to get the cables and stuff

1 minute ago, MartinWake said:

I just dont want to install an ssd I have to get the cables and stuff

If you're booting from an ssd currently, you should already have them. Unless you meant you want to have less cables in your tower. I haven't really felt sata cables to be intrusive enough to consider solutions that don't require them, guess that would be nice in certain cases for cleanliness though.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

36 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

If you're booting from an ssd currently, you should already have them. Unless you meant you want to have less cables in your tower. I haven't really felt sata cables to be intrusive enough to consider solutions that don't require them, guess that would be nice in certain cases for cleanliness though.

I dont want to install another 2.5" ssd

1 hour ago, MartinWake said:

its a faster but 40$ more

that is the next step up from SATA based SSD's. beyond the 600p NVMe drives get really expensive really fast (they also get really good as far as performance is concerned)

You need to decide if you're okay with ~30GB more storage, ~3x seq read, and ~50% more random IOPS is worth 40 bucks (since you said you were interested in something faster than a normal SSD). Honestly I believe it is. 40 bucks for something that much better seems like a no-brainer against the cost of an entire computer. granted storage speeds don't often yield the same impactful and noticeable results as a faster CPU or GPU would, but you will notice significantly faster game loading screen times in most instances, and your daily navigation of your OS should feel more snappy and responsive as well.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

that is the next step up from SATA based SSD's. beyond the 600p NVMe drives get really expensive really fast (they also get really good as far as performance is concerned)

You need to decide if you're okay with ~30GB more storage, ~3x seq read, and ~50% more random IOPS is worth 40 bucks (since you said you were interested in something faster than a normal SSD). Honestly I believe it is. 40 bucks for something that much better seems like a no-brainer against the cost of an entire computer. granted storage speeds don't often yield the same impactful and noticeable results as a faster CPU or GPU would, but you will notice significantly faster game loading screen times in most instances, and your daily navigation of your OS should feel more snappy and responsive as well.

link the one you are talking about plz3

10 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

link the one you are talking about plz3

I already linked it and was already talking about it. the Intel 600p 512GB model

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSJA65C/?tag=linus21-20

Its worth noting that the 600P gets much faster the large your capacity gets. Its not really worth buying the 128GB version of this drive because its so small it doesn't scale very well, and normal SATA SSD's outperform it. although the 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB models (the 1TB model even a bit faster than the 256GB model because of its size scaling dynamic) put equivalently sized SATA SSD's to shame as far as raw performance goes.

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

I already linked it and was already talking about it. the Intel 600p 512GB model

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSJA65C/?tag=linus21-20

Its worth noting that the 600P gets much faster the large your capacity gets. Its not really worth buying the 128GB version of this drive because its so small it doesn't scale very well, and normal SATA SSD's outperform it. although the 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB models (the 1TB model even a bit faster than the 256GB model because of its size scaling dynamic) put equivalently sized SATA SSD's to shame as far as raw performance goes.

it does not say the write and read speed it has 3 reviews and only one verified purchase :/

19 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

it does not say the write and read speed it has 3 reviews and only one verified purchase :/

Its a very new drive thats why it doesn't have a ton of reviews (came out less than a month ago).

for real dude, do your own friggen research if you need the exact specs. I've already told you that your sequential write speeds are going to be about the same as a SATA SSD. asking me about exact specs is just going to get me to google them and link you a page. go google it yourself you lazy shit.

http://ark.intel.com/products/94924/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-512GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-x4-3D1-TLC

19 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Its a very new drive thats why it doesn't have a ton of reviews (came out less than a month ago).

for real dude, do your own friggen research if you need the exact specs. I've already told you that your sequential write speeds are going to be about the same as a SATA SSD. asking me about exact specs is just going to get me to google them and link you a page. go google it yourself you lazy shit.

http://ark.intel.com/products/94924/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-512GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-x4-3D1-TLC

I just need some help and some advice from people who know bitch

13 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

I just need some help and some advice from people who know bitch

i get that. and its good to get advice. but looking for exact numbers is something you can and should do on your own. you should do that if for no other reason than you should never make a purchase based on the recommendation of a stranger.

I've been holding your hand through this whole process. you have no good reason to call me "bitch"

10 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

i get that. and its good to get advice. but looking for exact numbers is something you can and should do on your own. you should do that if for no other reason than you should never make a purchase based on the recommendation of a stranger.

I've been holding your hand through this whole process. you have no good reason to call me "bitch"

I said worse but edited it because you called me a lazy shit

6 minutes ago, MartinWake said:

I said worse but edited it because you called me a lazy shit

because you ARE being a lazy shit. I mean would you also expect me to purchase your drive for you too?

seesh. but i'm done with this thread as its going nowhere. gl with your computer.