SLI Temps

Random32

My current GPU setup is 1x EVGA GTX 660 with a single fan (blower style), and 1x EVGA GTX 660 with 2 fans (ACX).

The entire thing is in a case with very shitty airflow, and very shitty air circulation with an i7 2600k at 4.2Ghz.

Whenever I play Overwatch or an equally or more intensive game, one of my GPU's stays around 60 degrees Celsius, and the other one goes to 84 degrees at load, which kind of concerns me. Should I be concerned?

I have OpenHardwareMonitor and Speccy and they both say my GPU and motherboard are extremely hot. Would getting a new case with new fans make a worthwhile change to my temps? My friend recommended a P400 with some decent fans. Thoughts?

Sorry if I'm being vague or anything like that, this is my first post in a long while and I kind of forgot how to explain things

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

5 minutes ago, Random32 said:

My current GPU setup is 1x EVGA GTX 660 with a single fan (blower style), and 1x EVGA GTX 660 with 2 fans (ACX).

The entire thing is in a case with very shitty airflow, and very shitty air circulation with an i7 2600k at 4.2Ghz.

Whenever I play Overwatch or an equally or more intensive game, one of my GPU's stays around 60 degrees Celsius, and the other one goes to 84 degrees at load, which kind of concerns me. Should I be concerned?

I have OpenHardwareMonitor and Speccy and they both say my GPU and motherboard are extremely hot. Would getting a new case with new fans make a worthwhile change to my temps? My friend recommended a P400 with some decent fans. Thoughts?

Sorry if I'm being vague or anything like that, this is my first post in a long while and I kind of forgot how to explain things

pls downlaod and install MSI Afterburner and make a custom fan curve for both GPUs, as long as they dont exceed 80°C you should be fine.

well definitely have the blower style lower below the ACX card. since the ACX can cool better, it'll be sucking the hotter air off the blower cooler, then the temps should be around equal. blower coolers often can't cool too well, but you can always go in and mess with the fan curve to bump up the fan speed, it usually helps. 

other than that, if you don't have at least two 140mm fans in the front then get some now. your GPU needs a lot of airflow to get rid of the hot air its expelling. 

1 minute ago, Beeeyeee said:

well definitely have the blower style lower below the ACX card. since the ACX can cool better, it'll be sucking the hotter air off the blower cooler, then the temps should be around equal. blower coolers often can't cool too well, but you can always go in and mess with the fan curve to bump up the fan speed, it usually helps. 

other than that, if you don't have at least two 140mm fans in the front then get some now. your GPU needs a lot of airflow to get rid of the hot air its expelling. 

That is how I have it configured. Blower on bottom, ACX on top.

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

pls downlaod and install MSI Afterburner and make a custom fan curve for both GPUs, as long as they dont exceed 80°C you should be fine.

I haven't used afterburner, but I've used other software (OpenHardwareMonitor I think?) and bumped up my fan speeds to 75% which was something like 3000rpm iirc. It stayed at 84. Will Afterburner help me push them further?

CPU: i7 2600k @4.2GHz GPU: GTX 660 Power Supply: EVGA SupernovaNEX 750W 80+ Bronze RAM: 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws X

2 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

(I am that friend @Random32mentioned)

Is the good airflow worth getting anew case for then? (There are other reasons to get a new case... his current case is awful)

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Random32 said:

I haven't used afterburner, but I've used other software (OpenHardwareMonitor I think?) and bumped up my fan speeds to 75% which was something like 3000rpm iirc. It stayed at 84. Will Afterburner help me push them further?

Which one is hitting 84C? the only real way to reduce temps that much is underclocking. but 84C is the max safe operating temprature. so as long as its not underclocking itself too much to stay withing that temp target, theres not much you can do. either upgrade or replace the blower with an ACX card. not too many options but if its working fine now than maybe grab another fan but you're good man.

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

single monitor or dual monitor?

last time the fin arrays were de-fuzzed/dusted?

Dual

Yesterday and also a couple days before that because me and @Stardar1 were opening up my case and I just said why not and I dusted everything as well as I could

3 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Is the good airflow worth getting anew case for then? (There are other reasons to get a new case... his current case is awful)

if it has places for two 140's on the front thats all you need. like i mentioned, the blower cooler seems to be the temprature "bottleneck" here.

Which one is hitting 84C? the only real way to reduce temps that much is underclocking. but 84C is the max safe operating temprature. so as long as its not underclocking itself too much to stay withing that temp target, theres not much you can do. either upgrade or replace the blower with an ACX card. not too many options but if its working fine now than maybe grab another fan but you're good man.

I'm actually not sure which one it is, I'll have to get a closer look whenever I get back to my PC.

Alright thanks dude I just thought 84 was really concerning for some reason lmao

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

single monitor or dual monitor?

last time the fin arrays were de-fuzzed/dusted?

2 minutes ago, Random32 said:

Dual

Yesterday and also a couple days before that because me and @Stardar1 were opening up my case and I just said why not and I dusted everything as well as I could

Did you de-fuzz and dust the fin arrays on the cards though?

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

after the de-fuzzing, disconnect the secondary monitor and retest.

if it has places for two 140's on the front thats all you need. like i mentioned, the blower cooler seems to be the temprature "bottleneck" here.

Speaking of fans, how would I go about hooking up multiple fans? I'm planning to get a case to have 2 in the front, 1 in the back, and maybe like 2 in the top

but my motherboard (some old MSI Z68) lacks in many fan headers. It doesn't have many at all. How should I utilize more fans when I don't have enough headers?

I'm actually not sure which one it is, I'll have to get a closer look whenever I get back to my PC.

Alright thanks dude I just thought 84 was really concerning for some reason lmao

I mean, it is the max operating temp, but its safe to operate within. just might be reducing your clocks a bit to keep it there. :)

Just now, Random32 said:

Speaking of fans, how would I go about hooking up multiple fans? I'm planning to get a case to have 2 in the front, 1 in the back, and maybe like 2 in the top

but my motherboard (some old MSI Z68) lacks in many fan headers. It doesn't have many at all. How should I utilize more fans when I don't have enough headers?

You can get fan header splitters, or a fan controller. 

Solitaire. 

either use splitters (less recommended due to lower RPM's) or a fan controller. if you're still gunna use SLI, i'd have one exhaust fan in the back, two intakes in the front, and optionally 1-2 intakes on top, that way new air is forced down towards the Video cards and will help exhaust heat out the grills/exhaust fan in the back. :)

either use splitters (less recommended due to lower RPM's) or a fan controller. if you're still gunna use SLI, i'd have one exhaust fan in the back, two intakes in the front, and optionally 1-2 intakes on top, that way new air is forced down towards the Video cards and will help exhaust heat out the grills/exhaust fan in the back. :)

Huh. Wouldn't 1-2 outtakes on the top be better? since the hot air rises and the outtakes would just move it out through the top faster because the hot air is headed that direction anyways?

9 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

(I am that friend @Random32mentioned)

21 minutes ago, Random32 said:

I could recommend the Corsair R200 because its not that expensive and got a lot of cooling options, my brother has that case, it has one fan on front and one on rear, i think its 120s, but you can have 2 on front, 2 on top and 1 rear 

the P400 supports that easily. even using 140mm fans. 

Solitaire. 

Huh. Wouldn't 1-2 outtakes on the top be better? since the hot air rises and the outtakes would just move it out through the top faster because the hot air is headed that direction anyways?

in this case, with the GPUs towards the bottom, intakes on top makes more sense as it will more or less force the hot air out the back. Especially with that blower fan on the bottom. 

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

I could recommend the Corsair R200 because its not that expensive and got a lot of cooling options, my brother has that case, it has one fan on front and one on rear, i think its 120s, but you can have 2 on front, 2 on top and 1 rear 

I was actually thinking the 200r or the 300r, but my friend seems to be very adamant on the P400

the air in a case is moving too fast for heat to rise. think of being a little air particle, you have two fans sucking air in at the front, so you enter. but you have 3 fans near the top blowing out, the air pressure will cause you as an air particle to want to go up towards the top, thus much less air will be getting to the GPU's.

Keep in mind the noise level as well. it'll be pretty loud with that many fans. trust me I had it that way.

the air in a case is moving too fast for heat to rise. think of being a little air particle, you have two fans sucking air in at the front, so you enter. but you have 3 fans near the top blowing out, the air pressure will cause you as an air particle to want to go up towards the top, thus much less air will be getting to the GPU's.

Keep in mind the noise level as well. it'll be pretty loud with that many fans. trust me I had it that way.

Ah. Sorry, but isn't that negative pressure? with 3 outtakes and 2 intakes? I thought neutral or positive pressure was always the way to go.

And you'd want positive pressure anyways, to give the air more time to circulate and combat dust issues. 

4 minutes ago, Random32 said:

I was actually thinking the 200r or the 300r, but my friend seems to be very adamant on the P400

THAT'S BECAUSE PHANTEKS IS AMAZING (Also, again, I have 2 in my house right now, you can come see on Friday)

Solitaire. 

5 hours ago, Random32 said:

Ah. Sorry, but isn't that negative pressure? with 3 outtakes and 2 intakes? I thought neutral or positive pressure was always the way to go.

yes your origional idea was negative pressure. but mine (with one exhaust and 3-4 intakes. positive pressure supposedly keeps out more dust. but to be honest with that many fans positive pressure doesn't matter. you're going to get a lot of dust flowing through.