RX 460 smoother than a GTX 1080 at 1080p?

The Elder Smurf

I have a 6700k paired with a gtx 1080 and recently bought an rx 460 2gb just for kicks. I put it in the machine and played games league of legends at 1080p (due to scaling issues in game, i have a 4k monitor) and it actually runs smoother and looks better than with the 1080. Now obviously the rx 460 can't play crysis at 4k, but why does it play the lighter graphic games better than a 1080 at 1080p. Also this isn't just my sayso, there are noticeable frame tearing and skipping even though both are locked at 60 fps, vsync on or off (with the gtx 1080, the 460 sees none of those problems).

Anyone have an idea as to why this would happen, maybe the gtx 1080 has too much horsepower for the game engine to handle?

[edit] could gpu boost 3.0 have anything to do with this?

Edited by The Elder Smurf

what monitor do you have ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, The Elder Smurf said:

I have a 6700k paired with a gtx 1080 and recently bought an rx 460 2gb just for kicks. I put it in the machine and played games league of legends at 1080p (due to scaling issues in game, i have a 4k monitor) and it actually runs smoother and looks better than with the 1080. Now obviously the rx 460 can't play crysis at 4k, but why does it play the lighter graphic games better than a 1080 at 1080p. Also this isn't just my sayso, there are noticeable frame tearing and skipping even though both are locked at 60 fps, vsync on or off (with the gtx 1080, the 460 sees none of those problems).

Anyone have an idea as to why this would happen, maybe the gtx 1080 has too much horsepower for the game engine to handle?

If i were to guess, you probably a free sync monitor. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

If i were to guess, you probably a free sync monitor. 

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

what monitor do you have ?

My 4k panel is a freesync monitor (samsung u243590d), but my secondary panel is not a freesync monitor (asus vg248qe) and I had the same issues

1 hour ago, The Elder Smurf said:

My 4k panel is a freesync monitor (samsung u243590d), but my secondary panel is not a freesync monitor (asus vg248qe) and I had the same issues

Are you sure?  Also,  what about drivers?  Are they up to date?  Is there any setting in the nvidia control panel that could be causing this? 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Are you sure?  Also,  what about drivers?  Are they up to date?  Is there any setting in the nvidia control panel that could be causing this? 

yea im sure about the monitors. also both cards have the latest drivers. the gtx 1080 does not have any of these problems at 4k. thats why im thinking its a gpu boost 3.0 issue