Thoughts on Corsair's 330r?

HerEscutcheon

My goal is to find a stylish, silence-oriented mid-tower case for a minimalist black and white build. Filters are a must, air cooling all the way, light overclocking, and I don't want any top vents.

I've recently fallen in love with this case, and I'd like to know everybody's thoughts on it. Especially if you've used one yourself.

330r_hero_down.png

330r_hero_dustfilter.png

detail_330r_top.png

I know Fractal's r4 is probably the superior case, but looks are important too. And frankly, Corsair wins in that department for me.

Unrelated, yay for Rocket's return!!

That is an absolutely beautiful case. In my opinion it certainly beats the Fractal R4 in looks.

i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | ASUS STRIX 970 | MSI Z77A-G43 | 16GB Corsair Vengenace 1600Mhz | 128GB/256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2x 240GB Intel 335 Series | 1TB WD Black | Corsair 650TX | CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced (Ghost White) | Win 10 Pro

That is an absolutely beautiful case. In my opinion it certainly beats the Fractal R4 in looks.

Really? They look the same to me... I'd go with that or the R4 for a black and white build. R4 has top vents but comes with foam-"blocks" that can go in place of the fans to cover the holes

box-04.jpg

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Its a b*tch to keep brushed aluminum clean. Don't touch it with bare hands it will permanently mark it.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Its a b*tch to keep brushed aluminum clean. Don't touch it with bare hands it will permanently mark it.

It's not real aluminum. It's plastic painted to look like brushed aluminum. Which I'd actually prefer because of, well, what you just said.

It's not real aluminum. It's plastic painted to look like brushed aluminum. Which I'd actually prefer because of, well, what you just said.

Fair enough, looks good for plastic.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Really? They look the same to me... I'd go with that or the R4 for a black and white build. R4 has top vents but comes with foam-"blocks" that can go in place of the fans to cover the holes

box-04.jpg

What's with the box? If it's referring to the minimalist styling of the two mentioned cases, then have I got a case for you!

h3launch.png

(even though these are fake, they look like they have better ventilation than the h230... hmmm...)

thumbs-up.gif

Fair enough, looks good for plastic.

Yeah, it looked real enough to trick a youtube reviewer into thinking it was. Don't remember who it was, though. Maybe I'll go look for it...

It will be hard to get a lot of feedback in such a new case. If you really want something quiet and reliable go for the R4. I have the 550D from Corsair and the quality of their sound proofing is pretty lacking. They just used some regular foam on the inside. Maybe they went a different direction with this case but considering the price point I would be careful.

I don't mean that the corsair case is going to bad, far from it, but when it comes to new products is always better to have some caution

It will be hard to get a lot of feedback in such a new case. If you really want something quiet and reliable go for the R4. I have the 550D from Corsair and the quality of their sound proofing is pretty lacking. They just used some regular foam on the inside. Maybe they went a different direction with this case but considering the price point I would be careful.

I don't mean that the corsair case is going to bad, far from it, but when it comes to new products is always better to have some caution

I understand the newness of the case will mean less reviews and the like, which is actually what led me to asking for opinions here. Like you say, when it comes to new products, it's always better to be cautious. So, I'm trying to learn more about this case before I decide getting it or not. I like knowing everything about everything and everything else when it comes to PC components. Thank you for sharing your opinions on the 550d, I'm going to go find reviews and compare their soundproofing for the next few hours. (I like to learn and have lots of patience) Sorry to hear the soundproofing material wasn't very good for you.

Edit: Okay, so the sound-proofing material used is definitely different, I just don't know if it's an improvement or not.

I am a fan of the R4, and it's on my short list along with this case and a couple others. I'll keep looking into all of them until I finally decide. The cosmetics of the 330r kinda push it as the front runner for me, though. And the price is very attractive. I'm also hoping Corsair George will eventually unveil an updated 550d that goes with the same style as the rest of the new Obsidian series and the 330r. Oh, yes, that would be sweet indeed.

George is bleeping awesome.

Currently torn between this and the H230 from NZXT. It's about £15 more expensive, but is it worth it?

Check out my video work at youtube.com/SuperUserTech

Acer Aspire 5750G - i5-2410m | 8GB 1333Mhz RAM | 500GB 5400RPM HDD | Nvidia GT540m

2xBenQ EW2440L | Sennheiser HD600 | Corsair Vengeance K65 | Corsair Vengeance M65 | Panasonic Lumix G7 | Panasonic 20mm F1.7

Currently torn between this and the H230 from NZXT. It's about £15 more expensive, but is it worth it?

The H230 was originally on my short list as well, but I took it off. First, and this is pretty important, the cpu cooler clearance is only 158mm. That's plenty for low clearance and liquid coolers, but for larger heat sinks like the Dark Knight II, it's just barely not enough. After that, the 330r just kept beating out the H230 in different comparisons. 140mm intake fans vs 120mm, less starvation for air intake, corsair's powdery black and faux-brushed aluminum finish vs shiny piano finish (less finger prints), easier dust filter removal, more and better quality sound absorbing foam... Plus, the brushed front panel will match ASUS' HD dcII 7970's backplate very well. Yes, the H230 wins in price, but for me, the extra $20 is worth it. If you prefer the looks of the H230, and those comparisons I just went over don't bother you, and you'd like to save, then go ahead and get it. It's still a pretty good case.

I guess to add to that comparison, the H230 does have a couple things that the 330r doesn't; plenty of cable tie-downs, and rubber pads for the psu.