URGENT - GPU MIGHT BE DEAD 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)'

Hey I would really like some help on an issue. Recently I was messing around with my OC settings with my GPU and what happened was I was looking at a forum for safe OC settings for my EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SuperCooled ACX2.0 GPU and somebody recommended +150 on core Mhz and +300 on memory Mhz. 

I tested these settings and they were fine doing a Heaven benchmark so I assumed they were stable settings. I then went on to turn on War Thunder which I ran at maxed out settings btw. I was in my hangar and went to check the new plane in the hangar and then all of a sudden the PC blacks out. my main monitor was completely black but my second monitor was fine and I press alt+tab to to try and force close War Thunder as I knew something wasn't right. As im moving the mouse i notice it is really laggy, like the slowest and least responsive my PC has ever been, and I went over and clicked on the, 'X,' when you hover an app which when I did this a little red circle with a white cross appeared on my task bar. I didn't see what it was but it was flashing orange on the task bar.

After that I try to open task manager with control alt delete as my PC was now really unresponsive and immediately after doing this my PC turns off and it was definitely a major crash.

I leave my PC for a half hour to see if it would be fine and when I turn it back on only my right monitor is on ( I have two.) I thought that's weird so I try unplugging HDMI cable and re plugging into my main monitor but nothing, I tried all the channels but no signal on any of them. At this point I'm super worried. I then went to device manager and click on display adaptors and my 970 and Intel Graphics both appear but weirdly both have an exclamation mark next to them. I double click on the 970 and this error message appears.

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I quickly searched this up and apparently this Code 43 appears when a device is dead. The weird thing is the Intel graphics also has this same message but that's impossible that my CPU graphics are dead because I'm using the same GPU and CPU before the massive crash.

Please anyone who can help please do. I might actually have to buy another GPU

Alex

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Usually, if a GPU overclock fails, it will revert. Check your clock speeds again and see if its back to normal. If everything's working fine such as games, It probably just did a safety measure. 

If the overclock still remains, turn it back to default. 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

2 minutes ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

Usually, if a GPU overclock fails, it will revert. Check your clock speeds again and see if its back to normal. If everything's working fine such as games, It probably just did a safety measure. 

If the overclock still remains, turn it back to default. 

Thank you both so much for replying so quickly. I knew this was the best forum for an issue. When I get back home I will see if I can sort out the issue. I will keep you all updated and I hope the best. 

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

remove and reinstall the gpu, check windows log for any specific hardware errors.

How do I do this. Sorry I'm sorta noobish with this. 

3 minutes ago, NeroTrident said:

How do I do this. Sorry I'm sorta noobish with this. 

Uninstall, both software and the GPU. Then put the card back in, and reinstall drivers.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

Uninstall, both software and the GPU. Then put the card back in, and reinstall drivers.

So I remove all software to do with the gpu take it out. Put the card back in and reinstall all software? 

1 minute ago, NeroTrident said:

So I remove all software to do with the gpu take it out. Put the card back in and reinstall all software? 

Yep. If that doesn't work, uninstall the drivers with DDU. You might not have to physically remove the card, but it might help.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

You know how to short out the CMOS? Might work.

isn't that resetting to default settings on the BIOS? I'll try that when I get back. 

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Yep. If that doesn't work, uninstall the drivers with DDU. You might not have to physically remove the card, but it might help.

Ok I'll try this and resetting bios when I get back. 

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

The most likely situation and outcome is that the gpu is dead though. Or am I wrong? 

- Undo  your OC

- remove gfx drivers

- then reinstall drivers.

- check device manager

- test gpu with stress test to confirm all is OK, DO NOT OC your GPU again!!!

REBOOT AFTER DRIVER REMOVAL AND REINSTALL!!

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

Just now, 3DDude said:

- Undo  your OC

- remove gfx drivers

- check device manager

No I will never overclock again. Will I have to reset from the BIOS. When I tried resetting from the EVGA precision app it said no supported hardware detected. 

2 minutes ago, NeroTrident said:

No I will never overclock again. Will I have to reset from the BIOS. When I tried resetting from the EVGA precision app it said no supported hardware detected. 

evga precision uses oc profiles from what i can recall if it's not selected in the software manually your oc would not apply.

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

2 minutes ago, 3DDude said:

evga precision uses oc profiles from what i can recall if it's not selected in the software manually your oc would not apply.

I set the oc manually so it let me apply it. The thing which staggers me is that the 970 should've have been able to handle the oc. People were reporting oc of around +300 and +500

If you're lucky, have a good card;

But they might have other cooling situations, a better chip, slightly other memory.

If the best OCér in the world has cooled it with dry-ice and shit. You think you can just copy paste his settings and apply them?

Alway gradually add something start with + 50 and then + 75 and + 100 and STRESS after each test + game for an hour in an intensive game, check temperatures, look for artifacts etc.

You just went ahead, and assumed that because somebody has managed those settings, you can do it too.

And you failed, well lets hope this is  a lesson learned ;)

29 minutes ago, 3DDude said:

If you're lucky, have a good card;

But they might have other cooling situations, a better chip, slightly other memory.

If the best OCér in the world has cooled it with dry-ice and shit. You think you can just copy paste his settings and apply them?

Alway gradually add something start with + 50 and then + 75 and + 100 and STRESS after each test + game for an hour in an intensive game, check temperatures, look for artifacts etc.

You just went ahead, and assumed that because somebody has managed those settings, you can do it too.

And you failed, well lets hope this is  a lesson learned ;)

Yup it will definitely be a lesson learnt. I had been tweaking slowly but only small testing with a benchmark and a small street test and the card was fine. 

My issue was that I got cocky and tried to overclock too much too quickly and try someone else's settings which was a big mistake. 

Anyway hoping the card will be fine. 

1 hour ago, 3DDude said:

- Undo  your OC

- remove gfx drivers

- check device manager

REBOOT AFTER DRIVER REMOVAL AND REINSTALL!!

About do what you suggested but this just happened when I turned on my PC??

Isnt it because of a wrong driver?

Screenshot (5).png

4 minutes ago, NeroTrident said:

About do what you suggested but this just happened when I turned on my PC??

Isnt it because of a wrong driver?

Screenshot (5).png

Did you reinstall the drivers?

This happens when there is no GPU driver installed.

What resolutions are available under "Display Settings" (use start menu search) -> "advanced display settings"?

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

1 minute ago, mathijs727 said:

Did you reinstall the drivers?

This happens when there is no GPU driver installed.

What resolutions are available under "Display Settings" (use start menu search) -> "advanced display settings"?

Right now I'm in the BIOS trying to reset to default settings. But there doesn't seem to be a setting for GPU. It's gigabyte btw

Just now, NeroTrident said:

Right now I'm in the BIOS trying to reset to default settings. But there doesn't seem to be a setting for GPU. It's gigabyte btw

Im talking about windows settings not BIOS settings

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

2 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

I'll check now. I just reset the BIOS

16 minutes ago, mathijs727 said:

URGENT DEVELOPMENT 

I downloaded DUU after resetting my BIOS and hadn't downloaded or removed ANY drivers.

DUU suggested that I boot in safe mode so I did and then my main monitor turned on. 

I just checked device manager and it recognised my 970.

SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT REMOVE ALL DRIVERS AND GO ON TO DOWNLOAD THEM AGAIN?

I don't want to jinx it but somehow I think booting in safe mode has fixed it. Should I carry on with the rest of the steps or not?

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

1 minute ago, NeroTrident said:

URGENT DEVELOPMENT 

I downloaded DUU after resetting my BIOS and hadn't downloaded or removed ANY drivers.

DUU suggested that I boot in safe mode so I did and then my main monitor turned on. 

I just checked device manager and it recognised my 970.

SHOULD I OR SHOULD I NOT REMOVE ALL DRIVERS AND GO ON TO DOWNLOAD THEM AGAIN?

I don't want to jinx it but somehow I think booting in safe mode has fixed it. Should I carry on with the rest of the steps or not?

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

Is it also fixed if you do a normal boot?

Booting into safe mode means that Windows will not start up any third party applications (like OC software, spotify or whatever).

So if running in safe mode fixes it you know its a software problem (which is a good thing because hardware failure costs money)

Especially in that case I would recommend to uninstall any GPU overclocking software (EVGA precision, MSI Afterburner, etc) and use DDU to uninstall your graphics driver.

Reboot after that (for good measure) and reinstall the latest Nvidia driver from their website.