Pluggin more fans in than motherboard has connections?

Webber

Hello everyone,

I have 6 corsair af120 PC fans. 

I only have 3 fan connections on my GA-Z170-Gaming K3 motherboard. The fans run at 0.40A 12V with 3pin connectors, is there anyway to plug them all in? My dad is an electrician so if splicing is allowed and won't kill my motherboard then that is do-able. 

Thank you. 

I'd suggest getting fan splitters from Amazon. Make it neat and safe. They will often fit through the post box and sometimes have free postage. 

it is what I use for my front fans and they work fine. It's a shame I picked up a disgusting rainbow one. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA04-15-Splitter-Cable-Fans/dp/B005FWXWPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475323215&sr=8-1&keywords=Fan+splitter

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

On 01/10/2016 at 1:00 PM, ★ Coups ★ said:

I'd suggest getting fan splitters from Amazon. Make it neat and safe. They will often fit through the post box and sometimes have free postage. 

it is what I use for my front fans and they work fine. It's a shame I picked up a disgusting rainbow one. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Akasa-AK-CBFA04-15-Splitter-Cable-Fans/dp/B005FWXWPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475323215&sr=8-1&keywords=Fan+splitter

In the end, I got a bunch of fan splitters as you suggested.

I had to hide them though... they kinda broke the theme aha

27 minutes ago, Webber said:

In the end, I got a bunch of fan splitters as you suggested.

I had to hide them though... they kinda broke the theme aha

Yeah. Did you get the black ones or some horrible rainbow ones like I got? Haha 

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Just now, ★ Coups ★ said:

Yeah. Did you get the black ones or some horrible rainbow ones like I got? Haha 

They we're red, back and yellow... ew

Just now, Webber said:

They we're red, back and yellow... ew

Hahaha, me too! 

On 10/2/2016 at 0:41 PM, Webber said:

-SNIP-

Just note that a good rule of thumb is to not have more than 3-4 fan per header depending on the fan to not overload the 1amp capacity. As for those fans if we were to go not that rating I wouldn't put more than 2 fans per header to give it some overhead, that being said though that is quite high for a regular fan so I have my doubts it actually drawing that much.