HELP GEARHEADS

harveychestbreach

HEY ALL I would like some help with my car! It is not a severe issue but I would like to fix the odd engine sputtering that is happening at Idle with my 1995 Honda Accord LX Coupe It only has about 175K miles and is fairly well kept (although I am a bit of a speed demon :D) I would just like to fix it because it sounds like SHITE and I hate it so please help

Spoiler
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro
  • RAM: 32 GB HyperX Fury DDR4 2400
  • GPU: MSI 5700XT MECH
  • Case: Fractal Define R5
  • Storage: 1TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, Samsung Evo 960 1TB SSD
  • PSU: Corsair CX750M
  • Display(s): HP 24W
  • Cooling: 1 120mm Corsair fan, Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016
  • Mouse: Razer Deathadder Basilisk.
  • Sound: Razer 7.1 Kraken Chroma V2, LG SJ4Y 300W soundbar
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

well if you said you hate it, why not sell it and let it be someone else's problem? and then use the money to get a different car?

but to help with the engine, i say maybe your spark plugs might need cleaning/replacing.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

well if you said you hate it, why not sell it and let it be someone else's problem? and then use the money to get a different car?

but to help with the engine, i say maybe your spark plugs might need cleaning/replacing.

He wants to make it better so he doesn't hate it anymore.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, arnavvr said:

He wants to make it better so he doesn't hate it anymore.

well i mean i someone kinda assumed that, so i also added some advice for the car itself.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Actually I got new plugs and wires fixed the oil in the spark chamber tube bits as well, no more leak

Spoiler
  • Storage: 1TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, 4TB WD Black 7200 RPM HDD, Samsung Evo 960 1TB SSD

what do you mean by sputtering? im about half way done with a head gasket replacement, you dont want that. any loss of power
? at what rpm? at idle? moar info please, like when did you last change oil/plug/fliters/timing belt. 

Just now, harveychestbreach said:

Actually I got new plugs and wires fixed the oil in the spark plugs as well no more leak

well are the belts in good condition (timing as well as ancillary belts?), 

1 minute ago, blackadder said:

what do you mean by sputtering? im about half way done with a head gasket replacement, you dont want that. 

Oh that is not the issue lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

well are the belts in good condition (timing as well as ancillary belts?), 

Not sure, it idles at 200-300 RPM if that helps. Also I am going to get a new master cylinder tomorrow (one now is not doing its job) so I will check that as well

Spoiler

Oh that is not the issue lol

i'm super glad about that. trust me it sucks. do you hear a high pitch noise like air moving, could be a vacuum line.  i would check hoses and do you have any check engine lights?

i'm super glad about that. trust me it sucks. do you hear a high pitch noise like air moving, could be a vacuum line.  i would check hoses and do you have any check engine lights?

No I don't have a check engine light. Nope no high pitch noise. Only noise is engine, and fan... aside from the sputtering

Spoiler

In 1995 Honda added a OBD2 port to the V6 models and most auto part stores will scan it for free to see if there's any trouble codes that may point you in the right direction. 

4 minutes ago, harveychestbreach said:

No I don't have a check engine light. Nope no high pitch noise. Only noise is engine, and fan... aside from the sputtering

last time fuel filters were replaced, and your car is old enough to have a clogged cat, that can be and its causing back pressure to build, that will normally be followed by a bang and smoke. oil and antifreeze levels good. does it happen at all rpms?

1 minute ago, johnny5c said:

In 1995 Honda added a OBD2 port to the V6 models and most auto part stores will scan it for free to see if there's any trouble codes that may point you in the right direction. 

I have one of the code readers actually :D although I don't have the V6

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, blackadder said:

last time fuel filters were replaces, and your car is old enough to have a clogged cat, that can be and its causing back pressure to build, that will normally be followed by a bang and smoke. oil and antifreeze levels good. does it happen at all rpms?

No only at idle I do have some backfire occasionally though I think that might be the giant ricer exhaust... (I did not put it on there but have not bothered to take it off.) also I have an exhaust leak at the midpipe... this car has a lot of issues lol. At least it runs :D

Edited by harveychestbreach
Spoiler

8 minutes ago, harveychestbreach said:

No only at idle I do have some backfire occasionally though I think that might be the giant ricer exhaust... (I did not put it on there but have not bothered to take it off.) also I have an exhaust leak at the midpipe... this car has a lot of issues lol. At least it runs :D

take the plugs out and make sure they are at the right gap, if you have a muti meter check the ohms on the plug wires. a exhaust  thats not the right size is probably why you have back pressure built up. i would change the fuel filter too if you haven't already, they are cheap and easy to do. has this been happening for awhile? if it hasn't, might have not had time to throw a code.   exhaust leaks are good for morale but, bad for brain cells lol

on a car this old does the radio work, if so the best action might just be to turn it up and drive on :)

idle does seem a little low but, idk for this car i would look into it. might be running rich to keep it alive at idle. you can adjust the idle to make it around 700 rpm and see if that helps too. 

2 minutes ago, blackadder said:

take the plugs out and make sure they are at the right gap, if you have a muti meter check the ohms on the plug wires. a exhaust can that not the right size is probably why you have back pressure built up. i would change the fuel filter too if you haven't already, they are cheap and easy to do. has this been happening for awhile? if it hasn't, might have not had time to throw a code.   exhaust leaks are good more morale but bad for brain cells lol

It just started within the past month or so and the exhaust has been on the car for most of its life so I don't think that is the problem. Also can confirm the fuel filter has never been changed... Probably the issue lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, harveychestbreach said:

It just started within the past month or so and the exhaust has been on the car for most of its life so I don't think that is the problem. Also can confirm the fuel filter has never been changed... Probably the issue lol

very well could be. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy

https://www.youtube.com/user/HumbleMechanic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA

maybe these guys did a video that could help you, they seem pretty good at their craft. 

very well could be. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheCarGuy

https://www.youtube.com/user/HumbleMechanic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtAGzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA

maybe this guys did a video that could help you, they seem pretty good at their craft. 

KK thanks think, I'll be okay my dad will probably help me :P he works for Denso and is generally pretty good when it comes to helping fix things, diagnosing things however, not so much...

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, harveychestbreach said:

Could be, another issue with that year is clogged EGR ports but that's mostly noticeable in the 1000-2000 RPM range.  Also there's a screen in the idle control valve that can plug up.

5 minutes ago, harveychestbreach said:

KK thanks think, I'll be okay my dad will probably help me :P he works for Denso and is generally pretty good when it comes to helping fix things, diagnosing things however, not so much...

it's a art form. cool, he should have some feeler gauges i would also check the valve clearances and PCV. pcv can sometimes cause a issue at idle.   

at good checkup will probably be able to find it and you get some quailty time with pops, sounds like a win to me. the rule is you have to buy the beer :) or give them money so he can if under age. 

8 minutes ago, blackadder said:

it's a art form. cool, he should have some feeler gauges i would also check the valve clearances and PCV. pcv can sometimes cause a issue at idle.   

at good checkup will probably be able to find it and you get some quailty time with pops, sounds like a win to me. the rule is you have to buy the beer :) or give them money so he can if under age. 

Yeah the time will be nice (however I will skip the beer as he is a recovering alcoholic) and hopefully we will finish painting the car tomorrow as well : )  

Spoiler

Yeah the time will be nice (however I will skip the beer as he is a recovering alcoholic) and hopefully we will finish painting the car tomorrow as well : )  

o, i'm sorry for even posting that. i would still try some kind of payment, movie, dinner, something you know. best of luck with the car and paint job. 

o, i'm sorry for even posting that. i would still try some kind of payment, movie, dinner, something you know. best of luck with the car and paint job. 

It's okay. He hasn't drank in quite some time :D so glad 

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, harveychestbreach said:

Not sure, it idles at 200-300 RPM if that helps. Also I am going to get a new master cylinder tomorrow (one now is not doing its job) so I will check that as well

ok but why does it idle so low? normally it shouldn't idle that low. i'm assuming a vacuum leak somewhere. i say start with your pcv valve. take it out, and shake it, if you don't hear anything, it's clogged and needs replacement. if it's ok, look at other vacuum lines.