Acer XG270HU not displaying 1440p 144Hz

Mentis

So I just got this monitor, connected to a Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro through display port with the cable provided in the box (I suppose Acer provided a cable that will allow me to take full advantage of the display). So I have not being able to run 1440p @144Hz so far.

The display has a setting that allows me to switch between DP1.1 and DP1.2. So for the troubleshooting I've done:

1) DP1.2: Maximum 1440p refresh rate is 60Hz while I can run 144Hz on 1080p

2) DP1.1: Maximum 1440p refresh rate is 100Hz 

3) When I restart Windows, the maximum refresh rate is 60Hz on DP1.2, however when I change the DP connection on the GPU (I have three), the maximum is 144Hz again, however it won't apply (the monitor displays "no signa"l)

4) Connection through HDMI gives a maximum refresh rate of 60Hz for both 1440p and 1080p.

I really want to use the FreeSync feature, so I don't care about HDMI. Any clues please?

Thank you in advance

That's...strange. Try a different cable and a different GPU if possible.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 hours ago, Spork829 said:

That's...strange. Try a different cable and a different GPU if possible.

I don't have a different GPU, but I tried many cables (HDMI, DVI Dual-link, DP, DP to HDMI). Only the DP connection gives the 144Hz, others are maxed at 60Hz even for 1080p. I will send the monitor back tomorrow even though I'm sceptical that it is a driver problem. I called ACER and they told me to send it for repair so they replace the firmware, but the re-seller told me I can't replace it if it doesn't work after the repair. So I'll just get it replaced, and if the new one doesn't work, I'll try to get a re-fund under the title of "incompatible/non-functioning product".

I don't understand pixel clock very well, but I know that AMD has their limited to 400MHz. While using softwares like CRU indicates that I need a 550-600MHz pixel clock to run 1440p @144Hz. How do people with AMD cards are managing to get such resolution with this limitation? :S (that's the only possible explanation I have for now...)

I really wanted a 1440p 144Hz monitor :(

22 minutes ago, Mentis said:

I don't have a different GPU, but I tried many cables (HDMI, DVI Dual-link, DP, DP to HDMI). Only the DP connection gives the 144Hz, others are maxed at 60Hz even for 1080p. I will send the monitor back tomorrow even though I'm sceptical that it is a driver problem. I called ACER and they told me to send it for repair so they replace the firmware, but the re-seller told me I can't replace it if it doesn't work after the repair. So I'll just get it replaced, and if the new one doesn't work, I'll try to get a re-fund under the title of "incompatible/non-functioning product".

I don't understand pixel clock very well, but I know that AMD has their limited to 400MHz. While using softwares like CRU indicates that I need a 550-600MHz pixel clock to run 1440p @144Hz. How do people with AMD cards are managing to get such resolution with this limitation? :S (that's the only possible explanation I have for now...)

I really wanted a 1440p 144Hz monitor :(

Yeah I guess it sounds like a firmware issue. As for the pixel clocks I have basically no knowledge of that either. Hopefully you can get one up and running soon!

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

So just to answer this if anyone happens to come across this, I sent the monitor for replacement and the new one works as expected with the DP cable provided. It's nice to see the refresh rate in the monitor OSD changes dynamically :) It would have been perfect only if it didn't have that one dead pixel on the upper left corner that I have to live with and stare at every day until I get a new monitor :/