Sandy Springs cracks down on fiber cable work

Sandy Springs is cracking down on fiber-optic cable installations that are drawing complaints, and has launched an online map to show active fiber work in the city.

The new rules approved by City Council Sept. 6 apply to all utility permits, but are aimed at fiber brands such as AT&T and Google, which have contractors digging up streets and yards in a rapid push to build out their cutting-edge, high-speed internet and TV networks. The rules will require 72-hour advance notice to property owners, better contact information and pre-permit meetings with city staff—and will come with “aggressive” enforcement against rule-breaking, City Manager John McDonough said.

Basically, Google and AT&T(a bridge off of bell), are 2 of the companies installing fiber optic cables. The old rules were a 24 hour alert, and specifically, during 10am-4pm, to avoid rush hour. Both companies disobeyed this, working well after 6pm, causing a lot of traffic. Trust me, I live here.

Tom Murtaugh, co-president of the Powers Lake Homeowners Association, said in an email that AT&T fiber installation there has been damaging. “In my yard, for example, they cut the AT&T internet service line twice (a week apart), my sprinkler line, and my Xfinity line,” he said. “They have severed the water lines to at least five houses that I know of.”

Similar fiber installation problems have been reported by media nationwide, including in Austin, Texas and Raleigh, N.C. The neighboring cities of Atlanta, Brookhaven and Dunwoody have fielded complaints as well, though the amount and reaction varies, according to city spokespeople.

Dunwoody is seeing a reduction in complaints—after putting some holds on permits. Brookhaven has seen “less than a handful of warnings for minor erosion issues” and has not halted any work. The city of Atlanta works closely with Google Fiber and recently assigned an inspector specific to utility right-of-way areas.

Right of way can be a source of complaints when homeowners don’t realize they don’t have full control of that strip of land, noted Sam Massell, president of the Buckhead Coalition, who said he has helped resolve many fiber-related complaints. Another problem is when other utilities are poorly marked on old maps, which led Google Fiber to accidentally hit some gas lines in Dunwoody earlier this year.

As mentioned in here, there have been many complaints. A guy had pretty much all of his resources taken down, a big problem. In dunwoody, two pipelines were broken. Bath of these problems were because of poorly marked maps.

Source: http://www.reporternewspapers.net/2016/09/16/sandy-springs-cracks-fiber-cable-work/

i like trains 🙂

On a related note, AT&T was a bitch in our area. Our ISP, Wide Open West, was also doing work around the neighborhood the same time as AT&T was and WOW got their stuff done fairly quickly. AT&T on the other hand fucking disconnected their cabling and never bothered to fix it. Someone from WOW had to come out to fix it.

10/10 work AT&T

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

On a related note, AT&T was a bitch in our area. Our ISP, Wide Open West, was also doing work around the neighborhood the same time as AT&T was and WOW got their stuff done fairly quickly. AT&T on the other hand fucking disconnected their cabling and never bothered to fix it. Someone from WOW had to come out to fix it.

10/10 work AT&T

Hey you have Wow Too :D 

Yea I had litterley the same experience, scumbag at&t switched to wow, its been great

*In auburn 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

10/10 work AT&T

I currently use the sh*theads at att. They didn't upgrade our router until 3 years later, and then is was really slow. Our internet counts out multiple times a night.

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

I currently use the sh*theads at att. They didn't upgrade our router until 3 years later, and then is was really slow. Our internet counts out multiple times a night.

AT&T was hellishly slow on Redstone Arsenal in our house.

And they fucking lied about it being available in our new house.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

18 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

AT&T was hellishly slow on Redstone Arsenal in our house.

And they fucking lied about it being available in our new house.

SETN (short exhale through nose)

i like trains 🙂