Which Nintendo 3DS?

XDroidie626

So my girlfriend wants a 3DS for her birthday, I would class her as a very casual gamer so dont judge.

Anyways there are 2 models the standard and XL, would you say the XL is worth the extra £20?

Additionally what games could you recommend for someone who likes games like Sims and to a certain extent Zelda

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

56 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

So my girlfriend wants a 3DS for her birthday, I would class her as a very casual gamer so dont judge.

Anyways there are 2 models the standard and XL, would you say the XL is worth the extra £20?

Additionally what games could you recommend for someone who likes games like Sims and to a certain extent Zelda

Well it depends. The XL's screens are easier to read and it has a slightly longer battery life, though it's not really that significant if you have the 3D off. The normal 3DS is a lot smaller and fits into pockets easier.

Some good time wasters are Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.  I've dumped around 100 hours into Tomodachi Life over the past couple of years, playing a little bit of it every once in a while. There's also New Super Mario Bros 2 (a platformer) and Mario Kart 7 (a racing game) which have saved me from boredom and are quite fun.

There are numerous Zelda games out there, such as the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask remakes. There's A Link Between Worlds, which is sort of a spiritual successor to A Link to the Past and plays almost the same. Speaking of which, you can also grab A Link to the Past off of the eShop, as well as numerous other games from previous generations even as far back as the original NES through what's called Virtual Console.

Pokemon is a very popular series on Nintendo's handheld consoles. Both the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire remakes and X/Y games are all right, though you can also get the original games (Red and Yellow, as well as Blue or Green depending on your region) off of the eShop if you're a fan of them or just haven't tried them yet and are a fan of the series. There is also the spin-off series, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, which is much more story driven and is a different take on the main series's RPG style.

26 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

Well it depends. The XL's screens are easier to read and it has a slightly longer battery life, though it's not really that significant if you have the 3D off. The normal 3DS is a lot smaller and fits into pockets easier.

Some good time wasters are Tomodachi Life and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.  I've dumped around 100 hours into Tomodachi Life over the past couple of years, playing a little bit of it every once in a while. There's also New Super Mario Bros 2 (a platformer) and Mario Kart 7 (a racing game) which have saved me from boredom and are quite fun.

There are numerous Zelda games out there, such as the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask remakes. There's A Link Between Worlds, which is sort of a spiritual successor to A Link to the Past and plays almost the same. Speaking of which, you can also grab A Link to the Past off of the eShop, as well as numerous other games from previous generations even as far back as the original NES through what's called Virtual Console.

Pokemon is a very popular series on Nintendo's handheld consoles. Both the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire remakes and X/Y games are all right, though you can also get the original games (Red and Yellow, as well as Blue or Green depending on your region) off of the eShop if you're a fan of them or just haven't tried them yet and are a fan of the series. There is also the spin-off series, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, which is much more story driven and is a different take on the main series's RPG style.

She always has a bag with her so I dont think size is an issue, additionally I doubt she will use the 3D feature much either

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

The 2DS is also an option if you're not gonna use the 3D function all that much, as it's a solid 1-piece "wedge" construction (no weakpoint to break at) that will play all 3DS games without 3D functionality (at cost of using the slightly older and slower 3DS/XL processors, not the N3DS/XL processors).

As for the eShop Pokemon games - They're direct ports of the original GB games with minor code tweak to use the 3DS-family's WiFi for game-to-game connection. US/EU/ANZ gets Red/Blue & Yellow whilst Jpn gets Red/Green, Blue & Yellow (since Int Red/Blue was Jpn Red/Green story on Jpn Blue engine).

I'd recommend a New 3DS XL.  I bought my son the original launch version back whenever that was.  But then I upgraded him to the first gen XL after a couple years.  The size was definitely better.  And then a few months ago we got him a New 3DS XL for the improved 3D.  It's so much better than the first gen thanks to face tracking.  I was going to use his first gen to play Ocarina of Time, but the poor 3D performance drove me nuts. I just bought a New one a few weeks ago for myself and it's great. The lady at the store mentioned that she got herself a 2DS because she's blind in one eye so opted to gave the money since she can't see 3D. She said she felt like she's playing a child's toy. That's the only insight I have towards the 2DS. 

As for games, I'll say what the guy above said. Tamodachi Life and Animal Crossing. Among others, my kid has those both, too.  They're good games. I'd also say any Lego game... but more specifically, City Undercover. 

The XL or non XL is just personal preference, I can't really judge what she would like.

As for games, maybe Tomadochi Life is fun for her or maybe a Mario and Luigi or Paper Mario game.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

XL is freaking worth it.  The extra screen space is totally worth it.  The N3DS's upgraded hardware with better 3D makes it a worthwhile purchase as well imo.  

Also as a side note.  I would not call any 3DS gamer casual.  People take Pokemon stats more seriously than CS:Go gambling, and put more effort into their Animal Crossing villages than most put into college. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have bigger hands and the xl is pretty thin when compared to its size so I tend to find it uncomfortable.

I much prefer the standard 3ds, especially since I use my 3ds for long periods of time when I do use it.

Plus the regular 3ds actually fits comfortably in jeans, I can't say the same about the xl. 

So in the end I got her a 3DS XL and its brilliant, ended up getting a deal with that and Pokemon.

Additionally I got her Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D and Nintendogs.

All in all it cost me £250 with a 2 year cover package, shame it can't be 3 years and take over after the one year warranty but at least it covers against ALL damage.

Thanks for the advice!