Judge my build plan!

Alright folks!
I've made my shopping list for my first PC build and here it is:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€436.89 @ Mindfactory) 
  • CPU: Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€159.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€263.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€335.52 @ Mindfactory) 
  • Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€216.94 @ Mindfactory) 
  • Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€216.94 @ Mindfactory) 
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  (€744.81 @ Mindfactory) 
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€105.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
  • Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (€68.65 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
  • Other: SD Card Reader (€20.00)

Total: €2569.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-29 19:57 CEST+0200

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FMHDjc

I'm a photographer and have images to edit, panoramas to stich and 4K timelapse videos to render. I do also enjoy gaming when I find time for it.

Could you share some thoughts on this? Will the 850W PSU be sufficient even when I add in more RAM and switch the 1080 for two 1080ti's next year AND mildly OC the CPU? Should I change something for a better price or performance? The RAM was mostly chosen because of the aesthetics - so it matches the white/grey/black of the mobo and the rest. Any bottlenecks?

850w will be enough. Right now 1080 SLI consumes no more than 750w

I would get a 1TB HDD to store videos. SSD might not be enough

Looks good so far

Was going to say you don't need those extra cores in the CPU or that much ram, but then I reread that this will be used for video rendering and photo editing, I assume high end, in which case the system would take advantage of the extra two cores on the cpu especially for hyper threading, and then the extra ram does come into play for high level rendering.

The PSU is fine, remember that the new Pascal architecture draws much less power for the new GTX lines and there is an actual 1080 gtx SLI video Luke did and the power isn't anywhere near 850, so unless the Ti's draw 100 watts more per card, should be fine. Linked the video below for your convenience.

Consider yourself judged ?

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

850w will be enough. Right now 1080 SLI consumes no more than 750w

I would get a 1TB HDD to store videos. SSD might not be enough

Looks good so far

Thanks! I'll have current projects saved to one SSD and software to another and moving finished projects to external SSD/HDD

9 minutes ago, Luceamar said:

Alright folks!
I've made my shopping list for my first PC build and here it is:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (€436.89 @ Mindfactory) 
  • CPU: Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€159.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€263.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€335.52 @ Mindfactory) 
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  (€744.81 @ Mindfactory) 
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case  (€105.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
  • Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (€68.65 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 
  • Other: SD Card Reader (€20.00)

Total: €2569.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-29 19:57 CEST+0200

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FMHDjc

I'm a photographer and have images to edit, panoramas to stich and 4K timelapse videos to render. I do also enjoy gaming when I find time for it.

Could you share some thoughts on this? Will the 850W PSU be sufficient even when I add in more RAM and switch the 1080 for two 1080ti's next year AND mildly OC the CPU? Should I change something for a better price or performance? The RAM was mostly chosen because of the aesthetics - so it matches the white/grey/black of the mobo and the rest. Any bottlenecks?

My opinion? OVERKILL! If that's what you want it cant get much better. I just don't understand why people upgrade something overkill yearly. If I had that kind of money, I would build a crazy system and not upgrade it for many many years. But hey, if you like it and can afford it good for you!

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

1 minute ago, MajorGoob said:

My opinion? OVERKILL! If that's what you want it cant get much better. I just don't understand why people upgrade something overkill yearly. If I had that kind of money, I would build a crazy system and not upgrade it for many many years. But hey, if you like it and can afford it good for you!

I currently only got a few years old laptop with 4GB of RAM :D So I wanted to build something that lets me do my stuff nice and smooth and that keeps up for a good while.

1 minute ago, Luceamar said:

I currently only got a few years old laptop with 4GB of RAM :D So I wanted to build something that lets me do my stuff nice and smooth and that keeps up for a good while.

64 or 128 gb of ram? i7 6900k for more cores and threads?

36 minutes ago, Luceamar said:

info

This looks like a great system. I would only make 2 notes about it.

1. Sense you are going with 2 of the same SSDs, I would do a RAID configuration. RAID0 if you want the extra speed with less data reliability in the event of a drive failure, or RAID 1 if you want to keep your data in the event of a drive failure, but sense I assume speed is a big factor I'd go with RAID 0.....maybe even an m.2 for your OS, SSD for your software and games, and mechanical drive for data storage.

2. You should get a large storage drive for backup purposes as well as data storage. Sense you are willing to drop this kind of cheddar on a system, there are up to 6TB drives now....a little pricey, but worth it......just be weary of Seagate drives. I have had quite a few fail on me over the years, but that may have just been a few isolated cases. 

All in all, good system, and you won't have to upgrade for a good while.

PS: If you are going to be running your system under heavy workloads, which I assume you will be with video editing, you may want to consider water cooling. 

34 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

64 or 128 gb of ram? i7 6900k for more cores and threads?

128GB would be max with that CPU and Mobo, but I think 32GB should be plenty for starters and I'll level that up to 64GB later on.
And for CPU I think the 6800k hits a sweet spot in terms of price and performance - the 6900k starts to get rather expensive.

17 minutes ago, r00tH4cK3r said:

This looks like a great system. I would only make 2 notes about it.

1. Sense you are going with 2 of the same SSDs, I would do a RAID configuration. RAID0 if you want the extra speed with less data reliability in the event of a drive failure, or RAID 1 if you want to keep your data in the event of a drive failure, but sense I assume speed is a big factor I'd go with RAID 0.....maybe even an m.2 for your OS, SSD for your software and games, and mechanical drive for data storage.

2. You should get a large storage drive for backup purposes as well as data storage. Sense you are willing to drop this kind of cheddar on a system, there are up to 6TB drives now....a little pricey, but worth it......just be weary of Seagate drives. I have had quite a few fail on me over the years, but that may have just been a few isolated cases. 

All in all, good system, and you won't have to upgrade for a good while.

PS: If you are going to be running your system under heavy workloads, which I assume you will be with video editing, you may want to consider water cooling. 

I was thinking of RAID1 or RAID10 but RAID10 needs 4 SSD's and only gives me the storage of one so that's not too cost effective... And I don't need speed THAT much, as long as it's faster than my current HDD it's enough and I don't need M.2 or Raid1 (for now, maybe later).

Yes, I'll be getting external drives for storage& backup and maybe even throw some HDD's into the PC, but not right now.

Oh yes the cooling! That's a good point actually. I got the Kraken which I hope keeps the CPU all fine and I haven't planned to OC my GPU or RAM so I hoped fans would be enough to keep it cool. The case comes with two, the Kraken with two more and then I could still get one more fan...

42 minutes ago, Luceamar said:

I was thinking of RAID1 or RAID10 but RAID10 needs 4 SSD's and only gives me the storage of one so that's not too cost effective... And I don't need speed THAT much, as long as it's faster than my current HDD it's enough and I don't need M.2 or Raid1 (for now, maybe later).

Yes, I'll be getting external drives for storage& backup and maybe even throw some HDD's into the PC, but not right now.

Oh yes the cooling! That's a good point actually. I got the Kraken which I hope keeps the CPU all fine and I haven't planned to OC my GPU or RAM so I hoped fans would be enough to keep it cool. The case comes with two, the Kraken with two more and then I could still get one more fan...

I see, well just suggestions :)

As far as the cooling situation, the Kraken will be fine coupled with those fans. In my system all I have is an H250 water cooling system with no fans mounted on the radiator, and some front fans by the filter, and one in the back. And I don't have any issues with heat, so you should be fine. I would put the radiator fans sucking air into the machine, then put the 2 case fans pushing air out. My reasoning behind that, is simply that it would keep a pretty fresh supply of air in the case and prevent heat build up.

10 hours ago, r00tH4cK3r said:

I see, well just suggestions :)

As far as the cooling situation, the Kraken will be fine coupled with those fans. In my system all I have is an H250 water cooling system with no fans mounted on the radiator, and some front fans by the filter, and one in the back. And I don't have any issues with heat, so you should be fine. I would put the radiator fans sucking air into the machine, then put the 2 case fans pushing air out. My reasoning behind that, is simply that it would keep a pretty fresh supply of air in the case and prevent heat build up.

Thanks! I was planning on either that or two intake fans at the front and the Kraken as dual exhaust on top (and additionally maybe adding one exhaust to the back at some point) but I'll have to see how the things fit in the case best I guess