Wifi Help

tapnerd

Hey, 

So the tech department in my school is kinda slacking this year and I have a problem that they will most likely never get around to fixing. There is a room under that is under a stairwell that is our student senate's office/lounge. But, because it is under the stairwell the wifi connection terrible and it does not have it's own access point. The only internet going into the room is from a Ethernet cable connected to a desktop computer. I would like to use that cable to create a wifi access point so that room will have wifi, but I would also need to keep a hard wired Ethernet connection going into to the desktop. I consider my self to be very sufficient with tech, but this is my first networking project and I would have no idea where to begin. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Adding a 2 port switch and a wireless access point should work, you may even be able to find an access point that has a switch built in. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

yep add a 2 port switch

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Any old router or access point that have an in and out should do the job. Just use the Ethernet of the desktop to power your access point.  

If you have a router from your ISP hanging somewhere in your house, that would do ...

yep these guys are correct thats the easyest way to get a good signal with the only loss being a bit on money :)