Game recording on m.2 NWM or RAM disk?

Sooooo, as the tittle says i want to record some game footage.

My dilema: i got 32gb 2400Mhz of RAM. I want to record at least 1080p at 60 fps if not 1440p at 60fps. Would 16gb RAM disk be fast enough compared to the m.2 NWM samsung pro? 

If i got for the RAM disk i would have to pay only like 10$ for the software or even nothing and the m.2 nwm samsung 950 pro ssd i would get at least 512 gb and install my OS there and thats 250$ ( yeah i can get it for that) .

Will the quality of the recording be on both of the options same? (Only recording, editing i can do on my HDD and small SSD(that is almost full, thats why i dont want to record on it))

Check the signature for my build (another 290x will be added, so 290x CF)

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

The quality of the recording is what you set it at. It's digital, so no quality difference between the two, but the RAM disk would be much faster, but if you're concerned about money, then the RAM disk would obviously be cheaper. But I think I would get more use out of the SSD versus the RAM disk.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The quality of the recording is what you set it at. It's digital, so no quality difference between the two, but the RAM disk would be much faster, but if you're concerned about money, then the RAM disk would obviously be cheaper. But I think I would get more use out of the SSD versus the RAM disk.

Why prey tell would you need to record on something that fast nor want to? A normal hdd should be able to keep up fine :/

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

Why prey tell would you need to record on something that fast nor want to? A normal hdd should be able to keep up fine :/

You're right. The hard drive would likely be fine, but between those two options, that's what I was talking about.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I have an SSD already with OS on it its just 240gb and i also have ton of programs installed there :) Thats why i didnt want to use it for recording.

Now i am concerned about where to record to and i can copy it afterwards on my 8tb drive to store it. 

All i need is max 1 hour of recording to be held at one spot at once. 

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

i dont think a normal HDD would be able to keep up with 1440p 60 fps :) 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

1 minute ago, bughtoo said:

I have an SSD already with OS on it its just 240gb and i also have ton of programs installed there :) Thats why i didnt want to use it for recording.

Now i am concerned about where to record to and i can copy it afterwards on my 8tb drive to store it. 

All i need is max 1 hour of recording to be held at one spot at once. 

i dont think a normal HDD would be able to keep up with 1440p 60 fps :) 

It should be able to easaly, and 16gb isnt gonna be enough for a hour of footage

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

5 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

i dont think a normal HDD would be able to keep up with 1440p 60 fps

yes it can

1440p @60 is around 18mbps - that's not even close to maximize the sequential write speed of a HDD

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes it can

1440p @60 is around 18mbps - that's not even close to maximize the sequential write speed of a HDD

The bitrate varies depending on content and encoding used. It can definitely go higher than 18 mbps.

But since the HDD is likely capable of at least 800 mbps, I don't think there's any way the HDD would be a problem.

20 minutes ago, Inrix said:

It should be able to easaly, and 16gb isnt gonna be enough for a hour of footage

Well. for 1080p it is, and depending on the encoding it might even be enough.

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes it can

10 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The bitrate varies depending on content and encoding used. It can definitely go higher than 18 mbps.

But since the HDD is likely capable of at least 800 mbps, I don't think there's any way the HDD would be a problem.

that is weird, everytime i tried to record with HDD it looked like shit and then i went on an ssd it was better but still not smooth and i dont think my CPU or GPU is a problem.

everytime i tried to record with HDD it looked like shit and then i went on an ssd it was better but still not smooth and i dont think my hardware is a problem.

what HDD are you using?!

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what HDD are you using?!

Some 2TB Seagate Barracuda. Kinda old. 

Just now, bughtoo said:

that could be the problem, old HDDs

2 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

What are you using to record/what settings? If your using some kinda of RAW format expect insane file sizes.... I would suggest looking up youtubes or whatever you plan to use the footage for's bitrate details and go with those or a little higher

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

Right click on the drive in Windows and select the Hardware tab.  You should be able to view the model name/number in their. 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Even an old 2TB SATA HDD should have no problem keeping up.

not if they have shitty cache

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

not if they have shitty cache

I don't think any HDD manufacturer ever made a SATA HDD in a 2TB size that couldn't keep up with what he's trying to do.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I don't think any HDD manufacturer ever made a SATA HDD in a 2TB size that couldn't keep up with what he's trying to do.

you'd be surprised

11 minutes ago, Inrix said:

What are you using to record/what settings? If your using some kinda of RAW format expect insane file sizes.... I would suggest looking up youtubes or whatever you plan to use the footage for's bitrate details and go with those or a little higher

i was using bandicam and obs and format was mp4 so i know that shouldnt be a problem :) 

14 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Even an old 2TB SATA HDD should have no problem keeping up.

15 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that could be the problem, old HDDs

37 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

47 minutes ago, Inrix said:

50 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You're right. The hard drive would likely be fine, but between those two options, that's what I was talking about.

You guys got tottaly subtracked :) I was asking about better option between m.2 and RAM disk not troubleshooting my pc :D 

You guys got tottaly subtracked :) I was asking about better option between m.2 and RAM disk not troubleshooting my pc :D 

no we didn't

depending on the bitrate, a RAM disk won't be enough for a hour of RAW footage

2 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

You already got your answer.  This is bonus work.  O.o

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You already got your answer.  This is bonus work.  O.o

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no we didn't

depending on the bitrate, a RAM disk won't be enough for a hour of RAW footage

my bad, the comments were popping up too fast for me to read while working and i skipped a few :D

my bad, the comments were popping up too fast for me to read while working and i skipped a few :D

well then, get a kitty xD