Which one should I get? Poe injector

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

Don't listen to me if anyone else responds, but... I'd say go with the eBay one. The other doesn't even come with a power adapter. If they can't include that, what other corners will they cut? Just my 2 cents.

They're entirely different things, one is a PoE injector and the other is a PoE switch. Personally I wouldn't trust either. For a standard switch it doesn't matter but for PoE I'd go for a more reputable brand. If a network switch buggers up you lose your connection, if a PoE switch buggers up you fry the devices connected to it. Though maybe that's just me.

If it was a pick between the two? I'd probably go for the switch. That 8 port PoE injector just looks super dodgy.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

8 hours ago, skywake said:

They're entirely different things, one is a PoE injector and the other is a PoE switch. Personally I wouldn't trust either. For a standard switch it doesn't matter but for PoE I'd go for a more reputable brand. If a network switch buggers up you lose your connection, if a PoE switch buggers up you fry the devices connected to it. Though maybe that's just me.

If it was a pick between the two? I'd probably go for the switch. That 8 port PoE injector just looks super dodgy.

Do you recommend any specific brand of PoE switch? I need around 5 ports PoE.

Thanks

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

2 hours ago, skywake said:

I was also looking at that. However it only has 4 PoE and 4 non PoE. I wonder if there are any with more PoE but similar price range.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Member said:

I was also looking at that. However it only has 4 PoE and 4 non PoE. I wonder if there are any with more PoE but similar price range.

Thanks

A bit pricier, but this 8-Port switch has PoE on all ports:

https://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-EasySmart-Gigabit-Desktop-DGS-1100-08P/dp/B00CMXROIO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475096291&sr=1-6&keywords=poe+switch

But for the price, you might be better off simply buying 2x of those TP-Link 8-port switches that @skywake linked earlier. I took a quick look around, and I didn't see anything in that ~$60 price range that had all 8-ports powered.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you need multiple POE than get a POE switch. If its just that 1 device, some routers have POE out.

About POE i once wrote a checklist of what to find. First you need to find out what voltages, protocol and watts. Than you will need to find a POE switch that supports it. Passive supports only the voltage that the switch uses while active can supply the voltage the device wants. Add up the watts together and make sure that the switch PSU has enough watts for both the switch and device itself. Make sure to use shorter cables as even at 30meters the voltage drop can be significant.

As for brands, avoid dlink and tp link switches when it comes to POE and for the type of switch itself. You will want a smart switch because with an unamanged switch you cant see whats going on but a managed switch you can see the details surrounding POE.

For the cables make sure the cables you use have the full 8 pairs and not 4. If you look at the end of a cable with full pairs you will see that all slots are filled with conductors/connectors. If not only have will be filled.

Another thing about POE is make sure the PSU of the switch for POE (or even the POE injector) is grounded. A lot of devices with switching PSUs dont have a connection to ground or maybe just a dummy connection and whereas with ground it adds more protection.

On 9/28/2016 at 3:00 PM, dalekphalm said:

A bit pricier, but this 8-Port switch has PoE on all ports:

https://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-EasySmart-Gigabit-Desktop-DGS-1100-08P/dp/B00CMXROIO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475096291&sr=1-6&keywords=poe+switch

But for the price, you might be better off simply buying 2x of those TP-Link 8-port switches that @skywake linked earlier. I took a quick look around, and I didn't see anything in that ~$60 price range that had all 8-ports powered.

Do you think this switch is fine?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201509599271

2 hours ago, Member said:

Do you think this switch is fine?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201509599271

Personally, I wouldn't buy it. It's sketchy looking, and I've never heard of the brand.

With the amount of power PoE can push, you don't want to cheap out. A bad injector could risk damaging your equipment. I would personally stick with a well known brand with a good reputation.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Personally, I wouldn't buy it. It's sketchy looking, and I've never heard of the brand.

With the amount of power PoE can push, you don't want to cheap out. A bad injector could risk damaging your equipment. I would personally stick with a well known brand with a good reputation.

Very convincing argument , I will get this then and expand if need be.

So the switch ports 5-8 have to connect to my switch and the 1-4 for PoE. 

This is the camera I am getting: http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=210_TV-IP311PI#tabs-solution03

P-Link TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pmN7xbY769D98

8 minutes ago, Member said:

Very convincing argument , I will get this then and expand if need be.

So the switch ports 5-8 have to connect to my switch and the 1-4 for PoE. 

This is the camera I am getting: http://www.trendnet.com/support/supportdetail.asp?prod=210_TV-IP311PI#tabs-solution03

P-Link TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-Port PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pmN7xbY769D98

That's correct, 1-4 are for PoE. You can use Ports 5-thru-8 in whatever way you'd like. ONE of the ports (Say, Port 8, but ultimately, it doesn't matter which one), needs to be an uplink port back to your router. The other 3 ports can be used by additional devices (Computers, etc) as needed.

This is only a 10/100 switch mind you, so no Gigabit speeds. But you can always pick up a separate Gigabit Switch for like $20-$30 on Amazon.ca, if you need to add that in later. (TP-Link 5-port Gigabit switch is $25, and the 8-port version is $40 on Amazon).

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's correct, 1-4 are for PoE. You can use Ports 5-thru-8 in whatever way you'd like. ONE of the ports (Say, Port 8, but ultimately, it doesn't matter which one), needs to be an uplink port back to your router. The other 3 ports can be used by additional devices (Computers, etc) as needed.

This is only a 10/100 switch mind you, so no Gigabit speeds. But you can always pick up a separate Gigabit Switch for like $20-$30 on Amazon.ca, if you need to add that in later. (TP-Link 5-port Gigabit switch is $25, and the 8-port version is $40 on Amazon).

Sounds good, I just need this PoE switch for my cameras. This PoE switch will be connected to my gigabit switch. Im pretty sure the switch will provide enough power to the cameras .

Thanks

It's a little bit more expensive, but the only low-end POE switch I'd ever use is the Netgear GS110TP - the company I work for literally has a few thousand of these, and this upcoming year that number should become around 5000-6000. Beyond that if you really want a great POE switch, you can get the HP 2530-8G-POE+, which we have about 250 of. (We also have about 300 HP 2530-24G-POE and lots of older HP 24 port POE switches)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

54 minutes ago, brwainer said:

It's a little bit more expensive, but the only low-end POE switch I'd ever use is the Netgear GS110TP - the company I work for literally has a few thousand of these, and this upcoming year that number should become around 5000-6000. Beyond that if you really want a great POE switch, you can get the HP 2530-8G-POE+, which we have about 250 of. (We also have about 300 HP 2530-24G-POE and lots of older HP 24 port POE switches)

Those are really nice switches ,but I don't want to spend that much.