Looking for an ethernet hub.

SukaroBlue

My old 4 port Ethernet switch died on me and due to the fact that i want to hook up to more devices up to it i would have to upgrade anyways because the internet connection took up one port and i already had devices hooked up to it already. I'm going to be hooking up my main setup, my ps3 (the way the wifi is set up at my school game consoles can't connect to the wifi only ethernet), my Linux/render setup and a NAS build that will back up my computers. It'll also have to have a port available to for an internet hookup. It has to be relatively cheap because I'm a poor college student and can only dump so much money on stuff like this. Thanks

Error 404 humor not found.

Please don't buy a hub.

Lurick there has a great suggestion for you.

Please, world, forget there ever were hubs!

Hubs have one collision domain, which means any packets sent by a host device is prone to collide with another packet sent by another device. Switches do this better, with a collision domain on all individual ports, making collisions virtually non-existent.

Hubs forward any packets coming to any port to all other ports, thus generating a lot of excess traffic for the network. Switches do this better, keeping track of MAC addresses behind the switchports with a CAM table and only sending packets to all ports if they're either broadcast packets or the destination MAC is unknown.

3 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Please don't buy a hub.

Hubs have one collision domain, which means any packets sent by a host device is prone to collide with another packet sent by another device. Switches do this better, with a collision domain on all individual ports, making collisions virtually non-existent.

Hubs forward any packets coming to any port to all other ports, thus generating a lot of excess traffic for the network. Switches do this better, keeping track of MAC addresses behind the switchports with a CAM table and only sending packets to all ports if they're either broadcast packets or the destination MAC is unknown.

live dangerously, get a 24 port gigabit hub in production.

3 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Please don't buy a hub.

Thanks networking isn't my specialty so i really didn't even know there was a difference and i was basically calling both a hub.

Error 404 humor not found.