Fastest 1080

Inrix

What is the fastest 1080, in terms of the best performance I could get out of it. Was thinking the Asus Strix, but perhaps the FTW is better? I intend to do a little overclocking on it, but no custom water ofc...

Also here is the list of cards I'm restricted to: http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?b=v2549&o=produkt_pris_inkmoms&rev=1

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

I would just take the coolest (cool like in cold not cool like awesome) card or just get one that looks good and put an aftermarket cooler.

Probably the sea-hawk all in one version, because of the liquid cooler it will run a lot cooler and GPU boost will clock it higher than all the others out of the box, u should be able to get a higher OC as well not to mention much quieter temps

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

I'll recommend the strix. It has a good cooler and extra power inputs which means better overclocking performance

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

If you don't mind a huge cooler, you can consider the Zotac GTX1080 AMP Extreme.

Here's Jay video on it.

66C under load and have zero fan mode when it's below 60C or something.

Jay stress test it and the cooler actually turns itself off coz it goes below 60C then turn back on when it hits that mark again.

A great aircool card.

I'm gonna get hated for this but my personal preference is... the founders edition. It just looks so much better than the aftermarket ones.  The Zotac one in Jay's video posted above is flat out hideous in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Don't go Asus

They're shit

What would you recommend then? There's alot of different information on whats is supposedly better... I'm just interested in the one I can get the best OC and performance out of :/

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

What would you recommend then? There's alot of different information on whats is supposedly better... I'm just interested in the one I can get the best OC and performance out of :/

When it comes to build quality my guess would be msi gaming Z but its expensive.

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

Overall, they will perform very close to each other really.

All about the silicone lottery now.

What you have to consider is the cooling performance, the aesthetics and the price.

EVGA Hybrid. Because the lower your temperature is the higher clocks you can maintain.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

EVGA Hybrid. Because the lower your temperature is the higher clocks you can maintain.

Sadly isnt available where I am yet... ;-; Otherwise I would be getting that hands down... Here's the list btw http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?b=v2549&o=produkt_pris_inkmoms&rev=1

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Its not as black and white mate. Overclocking can be unpredictable. Some will just crash after a certain point no matter how much cooling you have.

43 minutes ago, Inrix said:

EVGA FTW/Classified/SC, MSI Gaming Z/X , Zotac AMP Extreme

But my recommended is the EVGA FTW and MSI Gaming Z (the X will work but the Z has more features and is a little bit bigger)

There are some nice features that certain cards have, like the EVGA FTW and its dual BIOS, but overclocking ability is completely dependent on the silicon lottery. I've seen FTWs that didn't break the 2GHz barrier whilst some Founder's Editions managed to reach those fabled 2.1GHz overclocks.

Naturally, the 'best' GTX 1080 I would choose would is the MSI Seahawk because of its low temperatures as a result of its watercooling solution. But any GTX 1080 should do fine. I'd simply avoid the Founder's Edition because blower style cards like to run hot.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

There are some nice features that certain cards have, like the EVGA FTW and its dual BIOS, but overclocking ability is completely dependent on the silicon lottery. I've seen FTWs that didn't break the 2GHz barrier whilst some Founder's Editions managed to reach those fabled 2.1GHz overclocks.

Naturally, the 'best' GTX 1080 I would choose would is the MSI Seahawk because of its low temperatures as a result of its watercooling solution. But any GTX 1080 should do fine. I'd simply avoid the Founder's Edition because blower style cards like to run hot.

Do you know how SeaHawks are in terms of quality/temps/noise? I was considering getting one but dunno if it would be safer to get a Strix or FTW/Classified

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

13 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Do you know how SeaHawks are in terms of quality/temps/noise? I was considering getting one but dunno if it would be safer to get a Strix or FTW/Classified

Quality is solid so don't worry about any leaks (Corsair + MSI collaboration). The card should stay quite silent but the temperatures are the most significant quality of this card. They will stay ridiculously low (as with any liquid cooled card).

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder